'66 L79 Nova, Canadian Built - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

'66 L79 Nova, Canadian Built

Here's a neat car...just a base red-on-red Nova hardtop with the 350hp mill, 4-speed trans, and Positraction. I wouldn't change a thing about it except swap out the current steelies and ridiculously narrow tires for some period-correct Torq Thrusts. And, that antenna has to go.

While I'm not sure I could ever spend $60k on a Nova, I think this car isn't terribly overpriced, maybe $15-20k, if the engine stamp can be authenticated. It obviously needs some updating but it's a neat (and very rare) car.

Chevrolet Nova Base | eBay

Tony N.
Chevelles, Camaros, and Pontiacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Re: '66 L79 Nova, Canadian Built

Duplicate

Tony N.
Chevelles, Camaros, and Pontiacs
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 12:22 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Canadian-built and documented by VVS. It doesn't say it, but I seem to recall that something like only 43 L-79 Chevy IIs came off the line in Oshawa, and perhaps another 35 Acadian L-79s as well. The L-79 engines were supplied by the Flint, Michigan plant. The rest would have come from St. Catherines.

Check out the seat belt buckle ornamentation, a Canadian-exclusive for 1966. Also the trim tag & plastic Protect-O-Plate are Canadian versions as well.

As for the ridiculously skinny tires, the 6.95-14 size (like 175/75-14 today) were as big as you could get from the factory.

That car is probably a 2 hour drive west of me.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 12:38 AM
Senior Tech Team

Here is a quick question, the car is listed for $60,000. Is that Canadian dollars or US dollars? I don't normally look at items for sale in other countries and I'm curious.

It's a nice car, too bad he didn't use vintage, or period correct gauges. I know it's nit picking, but it's an easy fix, and it bugs me.

Steve R
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 2:28 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Here is a quick question, the car is listed for $60,000. Is that Canadian dollars or US dollars? I don't normally look at items for sale in other countries and I'm curious.

It's a nice car, too bad he didn't use vintage, or period correct gauges. I know it's nit picking, but it's an easy fix, and it bugs me.

Steve R
$60,000 USD. If I wanted to buy it then it is almost $78,000 CDN based on the crappy exchange (wait, what exchange? The car is almost local to me, say what?)

Agreed, either some nice vintage gauges or a knee knocker would have been better. That and the correct white embossed shift ball. Overall though there isn't really much to complain about except that it isn't already in my garage.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 2:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
$60,000 USD. If I wanted to buy it then it is almost $78,000 CDN based on the crappy exchange (wait, what exchange? The car is almost local to me, say what?)

Agreed, either some nice vintage gauges or a knee knocker would have been better. That and the correct white embossed shift ball. Overall though there isn't really much to complain about except that it isn't already in my garage.
Thank you for the clarification.

Steve R
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 6:37 AM
Tech Team

Garage
The 66 and 67 Nova's are bringing crazy money. About a year and a half ago I sold my big block, 5 speed 73 Camaro. I sold it because I wanted to get back into a Chevelle. I was having zero luck in finding what I wanted in a Chevelle so I expanded my search a little and came across a beautiful 66 Nova. It wasn't an SS car but had undergone an insane restoration. It had a Heidts custom front end with rack and pinion steering, a nasty little small block with a complete Edelbrock Performer RPM top end, a 4 speed, and a set of 3:36 gears. Paint, body, and interior were in immaculate condition.

I bought it mostly because it was a fantastic car and it had been built well. But once I got it home and put some miles on it, I wasn't in love with it. It felt flimsy compared to my Camaro and the healthy small block just didn't have the grunt of the big block either.

So I decided to go back to my original plan which was to find a big block Chevelle. The Nova was listed on eBay and within 3 days it was sold for $4500.00 more than I paid for it! I couldn't believe the response that car received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1286 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.