Barn Find - 66 SS Vert (lotsa pics) - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 1:14 AM Thread Starter

Barn Find - 66 SS Vert (lotsa pics)

My buddy's dad passed away unexpectedly last year... he had collected quite a few cars (30+) over the years. Most were stored outside with a few jewels of the collection kept in storage + a handful restored/running.

I've seen most of the cars over the years but had only heard about this one - an "original 66 SS 396 convertible". I went to look at the cars to help appraise/kick some tires and finally got to check out the Chevelle.

Generally the car is in good shape for a 50 year old beast. It's been in a nice dry back house since 90 and hasn't been bothered by the elements or rodents. Car looks super original and solid - 92K miles on the odometer. #s match, factory A/C, buckets, power steering, Convertible top looks like its in great shape less the back window.

What kind of value range do you all think for this sleeping beauty??

Last edited by -GLIDE-; Apr 26th, 16 at 9:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 1:19 AM Thread Starter

Re: Barn Find - 66 SS Vert (lotsa pics)

Proc likes this.

Last edited by -GLIDE-; Apr 26th, 16 at 10:02 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 4:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Most of your photos don't show up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

i see them......what a beauty of a find!
Proc likes this.

ROB

69 El Camino

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Finally a true barn find.
Proc likes this.

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 1:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Low 20s/high teens as she's sits? My guess.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

AC is a huge plus, the Powerglide hurts it. I can see someone paying $25k+ all day. Not many left that are complete.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 2:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Someone splurged for a convertible with A/C, but didnít pay for gauges. Go figure.

Nice find though. It'll be interesting to see what the body looks like once its washed. That could really become a factor in seeing what rust is really there.
Jimmy S likes this.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 7:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Awesome find! If the body is rust free or reasonably close to it, and trans and rear are original, there are plenty of folks who would drop $25K on that car I think, despite the powerglide. Imagine the time and money saved by not having to hunt missing parts and performing major sheet metal surgery? Some of the basket case convertibles that people buy for $12K - $15K will be way over this car on total cost by the time they're done.

Plus it looks like the kind of car that someone who is willing to spend the time and effort could get it roadworthy, clean it up really well, tend to the seat covers, and perhaps keep the rest of the car as is!

I notice the code for a power rear antenna on the trim tag. Is the antenna and/or switch under the dash still there?

Reminds me of my unrestored 66 vert which also has Power top, AC, PS, PB, PG, buckets, console and power antenna (plus power windows, tach, gauges and more)!
Tod74 likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 9:17 PM
Tech Team
Chris

If he is truly going to sell it let me know. I would be interested in it. Needs to go to someone who will leave it as it is and clean it up and get it running of course. Awesome find.

Chris-Phoenix,AZ
1967 Chevelle SS 396- 4 Speed
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

What a great car. I agree with Jeff on the 25K if everything checked out on it.
If it were mine I would clean it up, make it road worthy and enjoy the heck out of it!!
Proc likes this.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 16, 1:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback.

I couldn't check out everything on the car -- it's definitely not perfect, but complete and solid. Gaps are perfect, doors etc. close nice and solid, looked pretty unmolested - I would assume original trans/rear. A great survivor project.

I'll take a look for the power antenna switch next time we head over there - I searched the options library... looked like 962 power antenna cars in the 66 model year!

Yeah, too bad about the gauges. I work with a Chevelle guy (has a 66) and he was telling me to look for the knee knocker tach. Looks like aftermarket gauges in its place.

The Columbo in me believes the car was parked after a front drivers brake problem. Hub cap was off (found nearby) and the hood looks to have some faded spots where a brake fluid spill might have been hastily wiped up. Coil to distributor wire + battery were pulled. Key left in ignition. Parked for 26 years.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 16, 2:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

What a great find! Being a factory A/C SS convert sets it way apart from the rest but a complete unmolested original Wow! I agree, 25K all day long (assuming no serious rust issues of course).

A few '67s and a '66
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 16, 7:55 AM
Tech Team

I could see that going for $25K, easily. WOW!

1972 Chevelle
468 Roller
Canfield Heads
Voodoo Cam
Air Gap intake
Holley 950 HP
TKO 5-Speed
12 Bolt 3.73

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 16, 2:42 PM
Tech Team
Dwight

I cant tell from the reflection but what state is the license plate. Might give a better hint about the condition of the body. Nice find!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1387 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.