post #46 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 9:31 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Clueless* inherited 1965 Chevelle SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badss396 View Post
I am with Dean on this one with all the parts and car should be an easy $25K unless the motors are something special and any more parts that we dont see.
I agree with Bad Brad on valuation. Couple more tips if you list on Craigslist. You can expect your share of flakes and scam artists to respond. Craigslist is a playground for those with nothing better to do. If someone wants to see the car you may want to meet them somewhere such as Walmart parking lot which has cameras and other people or parking lot of local police station. This way they will not know where the car is stored. I also suggest that you request that anyone that wants to see the car calls you 20 minutes prior to meeting you or you just don't go to the meeting. This will save you a lot of time with no shows. You can expect 50 percent no shows with Craigslist. If you have several people.that want to see the car you can say something such as "the.car is.available for inspection between 2pm and 4pm Sunday" that way you are not running around like crazy. Your car,your rules. That includes degree of inspection and test drives.
cnweir likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Or sell it to me for $5000 and you wont have to worry about all the selling worries!
cnweir likes this.
post #48 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

But before you show it for selling get that Antifreeze leak fixed that is coming from the thermostat housing. With all the sealer it might need a new t-housing or the manifold might need to be filed a bit, or both. You wouldn't want to drive it and have it overheat and the buyer will try to get a lower price if it's leaking water/oil so get all leaks fixed before selling if you can. Very nice car!!!
cnweir likes this.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.

post #49 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

I'd have to agree I would sell it for 22k to 26k if its as clean underneath and it gives you room for dealing with the buyer, but I would still try to keep it in the family but I know that my not be possible. Very nice car....
cnweir likes this.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
post #50 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 10:54 AM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

If I had the funds and garage space, I'd drive over to you (about a day's drive or less), look it over, and give you a fair offer if it's everything that you've shown it to be so far.

Nice car.
cnweir likes this.
post #51 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

What about taking the car to an auction house like Mechum? Or gooding and Co.?
cnweir likes this.
post #52 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 11:01 AM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
What about taking the car to an auction house like Mechum? Or gooding and Co.?
Auction fees might net her less than just selling it on her own. It sounds like she can afford to be patient until the right buyer comes along.
cnweir likes this.
post #53 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 11:16 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I would start by asking around 29K on craigslist, then on eBay.
cnweir likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
But before you show it for selling get that Antifreeze leak fixed that is coming from the thermostat housing. With all the sealer it might need a new t-housing or the manifold might need to be filed a bit, or both. You wouldn't want to drive it and have it overheat and the buyer will try to get a lower price if it's leaking water/oil so get all leaks fixed before selling if you can. Very nice car!!!
Really appreciate your input!! Sure don't know what you're talking about though
I need to find a mechanic that can give it all a good tune-up and make sure all is well before I feel comfortable driving it and putting it up for sale?!
post #55 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnweir View Post
Really appreciate your input!! Sure don't know what you're talking about though
I need to find a mechanic that can give it all a good tune-up and make sure all is well before I feel comfortable driving it and putting it up for sale?!
Don't let he , whoever it may be , give you any scare tactics, and make you a low ball offer.
cnweir likes this.
post #56 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

On post 30 you show a picture of the engine looking from the drivers side and where the radiator hose connects to the engine I can see a lot of sealer around the housing and I can see green anti-freeze on top of the manifold where it is leaking. My guess when the car gets warm you can smell the dreaded antifreeze smell. It's a common problem on these cars and esp. if the car sits a lot. With any luck you might be able to just use a file and get a new housing and it should fix the problem. Cost would be about $30 for all the parts you would need and it easy to do, even my wife fixed hers so we can walk you through it, or a tech can do it in about an hour.

post #57 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

Good one Terry, but I live to far away to buy it; I also just got a new Charger two days ago so I'm a little low on funds now but I might sell the Camino soon. I'm kind on the fence on that one...

post #58 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 12:01 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Dean: $29K seems like shooting for the moon price to me. I assume you mean for the entire package. I believe she would have the best luck selling the items separate. If you try to sell only as a package it.limits.your potential buyers. First it must be determined exactly what the spare engine is. Then it must be determined what condition that spare engine is in. Could need rebuilt or it could be a fresh rebuild. Documentation or personal inspection would be needed. In any event I think these items need to be priced correctly. Too low.and.the seller leaves a lot of money on the table. Too high and there is no sale. We see cars/ items in threads in this forum daily that the sellers have their items priced.way over market value. Overpriced items sit on the shelf and become stale. If I see a car that has been for.sale for.several months I automatically think it is overpriced or there is something mechanically wrong with the vehicle.
cnweir likes this.
post #59 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 1:16 PM Thread Starter

What is this engine? I don't think it's related to the Chevelle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808-2.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	335385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1807.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	335393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	335401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	335409  

post #60 of 101 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 1:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
On post 30 you show a picture of the engine looking from the drivers side and where the radiator hose connects to the engine I can see a lot of sealer around the housing and I can see green anti-freeze on top of the manifold where it is leaking. My guess when the car gets warm you can smell the dreaded antifreeze smell. It's a common problem on these cars and esp. if the car sits a lot. With any luck you might be able to just use a file and get a new housing and it should fix the problem. Cost would be about $30 for all the parts you would need and it easy to do, even my wife fixed hers so we can walk you through it, or a tech can do it in about an hour.
Thanks! That is very good to know! $30 is not bad. Someone could have easily told me that was a $3000 problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1462 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.