Team Chevelle banner

Need Opinions

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  rjt427 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new here. I'm not a car expert yet, but learning. I need some feedback from Chevelle experts. I've been saving $ for many yrs, looking to buy a Chevelle. Very busy w work & kids, so I need something that is pretty much turn the key and go. I see 2 cars I really like-1 is a '68 "resto mod" 454(non matching, originally 396) 4 speed, alot of new updated parts(new exhaust, radiator, battery, AC, custom rims & tires etc)..beautiful car. The other is a '70 frame off restored 454 w 1,000 miles , 4 speed, Rally SS wheels w BF Goodrich tires..beautiful car. Both are black, black int, black vinyl top. Opinions on which is the better investment. I will be driving the car 1-2 days a week in nice weather, no snow/rain/ice driving, store in winter months. Please be nice to the new guy:) Thanks

#3 ·
Steve what would really be needed is a personal inspection of both cars. Since that is not possible for the members here you would need to do the next best thing and that is to submit as pictures of as many areas of each car as possible. Those pics should include all sides of the exterior/interior shots/engine bay shots/trunk shots/underside shots. They should be good/close clear pics.
Aside from that does one car meet YOUR liking more than the other. Both sound fairly modified. Asking Price of each? Who did the restoration on each? Is either recently (last two years) been painted, as fresh paint/bodywork should be looked at very closely. The criteria goes on and on.

#4 ·
Hi guys, thanks. Both cars are listed by 2 "Classic Car" dealers. I don't know if I'm allowed to list their info on this site. 1 from Michigan, other Illinois. I can tell you the stock # and their website if you want to take a quick look. They've posted several pics & info. How do I get you this info? I don't want to advertise their info on this site. I could give u my cell or email to pass along the info. I just don't want to make a bad decision since I'm relatively new at this. Both cars are just under 50K

#6 ·
Steve. everyone here will help you out pretty well. These guys will tell you if a car is worth the asking and what to look for.Like Mike said, everyone is always posting the links to cars on here, so don't be shy. That last things guys here wanna see is someone get taken advantage of.

#7 ·
Thanks Mike, the'68 is on Vanguard in Michigan http://inventory.vanguardmotorsales.com for keyword search enter the VIN(136378A158122), it will pop up, click on the car to see a video & see more info. The '70 is at North Shore Classics Ill , www.justamericanmusclecars.com , enter stock # 31454NSC , when it pops up click on the car to see a video & info. If you have 10-15 min to check it out I would appreciate any advice. I've been saving $ the past 15 yrs & a rich uncle unfortunately passed away n left me a few bucks with the stipulation that "I spend it on something I've always wanted"...cool dude! Thanks I really appreciate it

#9 ·
Do not buy any car without looking at it first, in person!! Dealers are real good with posting photos that do not show any areas with rust or other problems. You or someone you trust needs to actually see it in person before you spend $50k. A few days vacation time and a plane ticket could be the difference between getting your dream car or a nightmare. There are too many threads here and on other forums from those that saved for that once in a lifetime purchased only to have a pile of junk delivered to them.

#10 ·
Straight up the 68 is a clone because it's not a 138 Vin which would mean it's a true SS car. I think the car is over priced. I personally wouldnt buy from a classic car dealer because you'll be paying much more than buying from an individual.

#11 ·
Well I checked them both out. Both are overpriced which is very common for dealers. The 68 is overpriced by $20K and the 70 is overpriced by $15K. You may not have realized this but the 68 is not a real SS and is much more modified than the 70. If that is your thing that is ok. At least the 70 claims to be verified through build sheets however build sheets are just a piece of paper and have been faked many times in the past. My personal taste is the 70 over the 68 as it is not modified as much. The price they are asking for the 70 is numbers matching/original drivetrain territory which I don't believe this car is.
I personally would never purchase a classic car from a dealer as one tends to get much more car for the money from a private seller. That is my opinion however and some people don't mind overpaying. Time is on your side and the ball is in your court. I would tend to be very particular if I were spending $50K on a car. It would have to be one fine Chevelle.

#12 ·
steve here,s my two cents first off all of us will help you not get taken . secondly and this is my personal opinion I would not buy off any dealer . they are there for one thing maximum profits. You would do much better private sale car guy. this is not to say all dealers are rip offs but they are there to make money . it will take longer but buy privately . Alex

#15 ·
Steve,
Welcome to the forums. In the spring of 2014, I was just where you are. Finally got the kids through college, and looking to buy the Chevelle I always wanted, in my case a 64 SS. I was a novice and not up to date on Chevelles or classic cars in general. I was eager to purchase and posted several cars on this WIW forum for the more knowledgable to help me evaluate. The very helpful people here gave me great advice, slow down take your time, good cars are out there at reasonable prices. I ended up buy the car pictured below. It is a true SS, but not a numbers matching car. The 4sp was original to the car, but the original 283 had been swapped for a 327 from a later cheville as had the rear end. The engine had been totally rebuild to 327/ 300hp specs with the addition of an aluminum intake and later holley carb. I would call the car a mild resto mod. The paint and interior colors were original to the car, but it had been upgraded with power front disc brakes, a quicker ratio steering gear, rear sway bar. The interior had been modified by replacing the original bucket seats and console with a 64 Chevelle bench seat. I did get the original buckets and console with the car. The exterior mods included adding a vinyl top and Crager mags. I thought all the mods were tastefully done and the disc brakes and updated steering gear and rear sway bar made the car more responsive and safer to drive. The engine swap and mods would have been typical day 2 or day 3, mods back in the day. The car retains its classic look, but is not to valuable to drive, and has great road manners. I taken it to lots of cruise ins, a and three shows and it trophied at each one, including best chevy at a show that featured over 60 chevys.

In short the members here convinced me to take my time and I ended up with a better car for less money by being patient. 64 Chevelles are my personal favorite and the only model I was interested in. in the 64 to 71 model years they are probably the least popular overall and that played in my favor on price.

By slowing down and taking my time, I was able to get the car pictured below for $20,000. and it was a turn key car. At the first cruise in I attended I turned down a $25,000 cash offer.

By following the advice I got here, I ended up with a better car for less money. Being too eager to buy almost led me to purchase decisions I would have regretted later.

My car I is pictured below, I hope my experience is helpful to you.

good luck.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.