COPO clone whats it worth - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gary

COPO clone whats it worth

Hello guys I'm a newbie and this is my first post. Not sure i'm posting in the correct section but this seems to be where the interest is.
Im looking at a 1969 Chevelle COPO clone. I think that with the exception of the smog equipment missing this car is very accurate. Engine, tranny and diff are matching COPO numbers. The car came out of a large collectors garage ( 80 cars ). Rotisserie restoration. To me the car looks like a base COPO might have come. Bucket seats but no console. idiot lights, the car started out as a Malibu just like the COPOs.
I was wondering what you guys feel about the value of this car. It would cost me $43,500. Money is not an issue but I don't want to over pay. Judging by EBAY this car seems fairly priced. But other than owning a couple of Chevelles two decades ago I am out of the loop. hoping you guys my give me some guidance.
Thanks,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: COPO clone whats it worth

welcome to the site:
copo??clone??
bbc427&t400 trans with 12bolt rear axle type of car??
does it have a flat hood and dog dish hubcaps...
or the domed sshood and factory 5spoke ralley wheels?
a totally redone car in excellent shape could be worth that much,
but is the car calling to you, to take it HOme???
I would really want the car badly to pay that amount

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/gtse...3093j2227435j7

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature16.html

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

Last edited by VinceS427bb; Dec 29th, 14 at 12:46 AM.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 1:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Matching numbers would refer to the engine, stamped with the VIN of that particular car when it left the factory. The seller probably means "correct" for the car, which means that the casting numbers are the same as those of an original car. A seller that knowingly calls a clone "matching numbers" is someone to watch out for.

Steve R

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 2:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
welcome to the site:
copo??clone??
bbc427&t400 trans with 12bolt rear axle type of car??
does it have a flat hood and dog dish hubcaps...
or the domed sshood and factory 5spoke ralley wheels?
a totally redone car in excellent shape could be worth that much,
but is the car calling to you, to take it HOme???
I would really want the car badly to pay that amount

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/gtse...3093j2227435j7

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature16.html
Well I did think the price was high but after checking all the sites that sell cars, I have concluded they are actually cheap. I see cars, lots of them not even as nice going for 10 to 20K more than this one.
Here is the car take a look.
http://www.bransonmuseum.com/listing...evelle-cortez/
Gary
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 3:18 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

yeah, we can give you some guidance in the What's it Worth section.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris48cars View Post
Well I did think the price was high but after checking all the sites that sell cars, I have concluded they are actually cheap. I see cars, lots of them not even as nice going for 10 to 20K more than this one.
Here is the car take a look.
Gary
Are you seeing them priced that way on a dealers lot or selling for real money.

John

I may be old but I have seen all the great bands.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 10:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris48cars View Post
Hello guys I'm a newbie and this is my first post. Not sure i'm posting in the correct section but this seems to be where the interest is.
Im looking at a 1969 Chevelle COPO clone. I think that with the exception of the smog equipment missing this car is very accurate. Engine, tranny and diff are matching COPO numbers. The car came out of a large collectors garage ( 80 cars ). Rotisserie restoration. To me the car looks like a base COPO might have come. Bucket seats but no console. idiot lights, the car started out as a Malibu just like the COPOs.
I was wondering what you guys feel about the value of this car. It would cost me $43,500. Money is not an issue but I don't want to over pay. Judging by EBAY this car seems fairly priced. But other than owning a couple of Chevelles two decades ago I am out of the loop. hoping you guys my give me some guidance.
Thanks,
Gary
Gary... "What Car?" Can't really evaluate without something other then your verbal description. Can you post a few photos?

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 11:05 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Without seeing the car pictured the following is my opinion. For $43.5K you could get a very nice REAL 69 Chevelle SS. This car is not a COPO but admittedly a replica of one. That kind of money wont get you a COPO or a Yenko but it will get a fine SS.
One point brought up on this site quite often is if the car in question could be reproduced for the selling price. Is this case it is close.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Gary... "What Car?" Can't really evaluate without something other then your verbal description. Can you post a few photos?
I posted a link to the car. Here it is again.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

I did check out the link before, but couldn't tell if the car shown was actually for sale as there was no price available. I thought it was just a comparison.

The 512 block would be "cast" not stamped into the block per ad (probably typo). Agree on pricing $43+ would get you a real deal, vs a Malibu clone. Really depends on what you want to do with it? Drive it? She's ready to go, bet they would come down on it. Find out how long they have had it for sale, consigned? Talk to the owner.

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Look at it in person and see if it's a quality build. If it is and it drives nice, offer them $40k. You can't build the car for that.
Never buy a car without looking at it or having a knowledgeable guy like me or Rick Nelson look at it for you.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 4:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Okay, so its a very nice looking Chevelle, but I wouldn't go over 30K based just on the photos (i.e. I'd need to touch it, crawl under it, drive it, and look at its numbers). Remember, you can get a very decent REAL 1969 Factory SS396 for that kind of money. Why, exactly, do you want that particular Chevelle? DON'T buy it as an investment: because it's a clone and thus it will not hold its "value" once its post-frame off makeup starts to fade. DON'T buy it to drive it: It's far too expensive to have fun with it.

As comparison, my COPO Tribute is valued at 28K. Please feel free to look at her photos and videos: see links below. I have a great deal of fun driving her.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 5:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Okay, so its a very nice looking Chevelle, but I wouldn't go over 30K based just on the photos (i.e. I'd need to touch it, crawl under it, drive it, and look at its numbers). Remember, you can get a very decent REAL 1969 Factory SS396 for that kind of money. Why, exactly, do you want that particular Chevelle? DON'T buy it as an investment: because it's a clone and thus it will not hold its "value" once its post-frame off makeup starts to fade. DON'T buy it to drive it: It's far too expensive to have fun with it.

As comparison, my COPO Tribute is valued at 28K. Please feel free to look at her photos and videos: see links below. I have a great deal of fun driving her.
+1 on this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 5:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
Look at it in person and see if it's a quality build. If it is and it drives nice, offer them $40k. You can't build the car for that.
Never buy a car without looking at it or having a knowledgeable guy like me or Rick Nelson look at it for you.
To protect your dollar and peace of mind: , this is some excellent advice.

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 14, 2:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I think you can find a real nice documented 69 SS for that kind of money.

_
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1693 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.