My 1965 Malibu - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 14, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Will

My 1965 Malibu

I have reached the point where life is forcing me to sell the Malibu. Is some ways I don't want to let it go and in some ways I will be glad to see it go. My car doesnt have a garage to live in so it wears a cover 24/7. Actually, it wears two covers and a plastic sheet between them to keep water from settling in unwanted places.

The details on the car are as follows:
-1965 Malibu NOT and SS car.
-The car was redone to about 75% and made into a driver a few years ago.
-The car was in a minor accident a few years ago
and that is what started the resto work on the car.
-The body was gone through and had full quarters, fenders, door skins and
core support replaced as far a panel replacement
-There are some small rust spots on the car
One is on the passenger side of the hood down by the lettering about
2"x2" it has bubbled up through the paint
There are two small spots of rust on the window channels. One at the
bottom of the windshield and one at the bottom of the rear glass. Typical
but not too bad.
-Floors are great. Trunk floor is ugly but not bad enough to need replacing.
Sanding and some paint would be the extent of the work. Nothing rotted
through.
-Every single piece of trim on the car was replaced
-The interior is a 7-8 out of 10.
-Glass is pretty good. Might need to be polished
-Bumpers are repops but are pretty nice.
-Weatherstrips were all new when I redid the car. The vent windows need
to be rebuilt.
-The suspension is old and creeky. The car drives straight and feels decent
it just needs a bushing set to tighten it back up
-The car has 4-wheel manual drum brakes that stop the car very well
-I had the TH350 rebuilt at a local trans shop by a friend with a B&M kit
and a B&M transpak shift kit. I also added a B&M 3k converter with
anti-balooning plates.
-1971 400ci block, 30 over. 406ci
Scat forged crank and rods
Ross forged pistons compression is right under 10.5:1
Milodon HV oil pump
Stock style pan
Lunati solid flat tappet cam 256/270 .533/.549 112* (lift is with 1.6 rockers)
Lunati solid flat tappet lifters
Dart Iron Eagle 215cc heads with 72cc chambers
Gold 1.6 rockers
Weiand dual plane aluminum intake
Holley 9381 830cfm carb
MSD 6AL, Pro Billet Distributor, MSD wires
-Stock open 10-bolt
-Grant wheel
-B&M carbon Pro-Stick on a custom mount
-Summit sport seats on a set of mounts that I made. They are had mounted
directly to the floor for maximum headroom and the sliders still work great.
Access to the rear seat is still very good. Im 6'2", 260lbs and I can get
into the back seat very easily.
-Delta headlight housings with replaceable H4 bulbs and relays wired in to
make sure the headlights are as bright as they can be. 13.5v constant.
-March Alternator bracket
-power steering
-Autogage tach and Sunpro gauges
-Be Cool aluminum radiator and electric fan
-external transmission cooler

The car will need:
-repair of the rust spots mentioned
-suspension bushings replaced to tighten up the feel of the car
-body bushings will need to be replaced as well
-trunk redone as mentioned
-The factory gauges do not work Im sure it is the factory wiring that is the
culprit so replacing the would be a good idea. Electrically, everything except
for the gauges, dash lighting and dome light work.
-If I were keeping the car I would buy the AAW Classic Update kit and
replace all of the wiring.
-The grille and headlight trim doesnt fit very well and is a little bent up. Not
noticeable from 10-ft away but if you get close you can see that it doesnt
fit like it should. I attribute it to aftermarket trim fitment...

I think I have listed most everything. This post got a little long lol. Link is to a photobucket album with a bunch of pictures of the car. Some of the pictures are from before the work was done some are after.

What I would like to know is how much to list the car for sale for. I realize I will never get my money back and that is ok. What I want to know is how much should I expect to get. I dont want to list the car for 15K if there is no chance of getting that. I also dont want to list the car for too little and cheat myself out of some very badly needed money. Thanks for looking.

Ill try to answer anything I can. If you read this much, thanks!
Pics : http://s188.photobucket.com/user/wil...?sort=3&page=1

Two slow cars with engines and stuff

Last edited by wills65; Feb 13th, 14 at 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 12:36 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Re: My 1965 Malibu

That is a lot of info. I can't say what the value is but if you have time and don't mind talking on the phone with people I would put up an add for whatever your price is and see what happens. Craigslist is free. List your price and say you are not interested in less .
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 3:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

How strong is the market for cars in a similar condition where you live? Unfortunately, I think the rust bubbles will cast doubts about the rest of the body work. Plus the stock suspension and rear end will likely hold down the price. If you don't have a pressing need to sell the car immediately shoot for the higher end of your local market, but try not to price it so high that it sits on CL or whatever venue you choose for so long that it becomes stale.

Good luck with the sale, I hope things work out for you.

Steve R

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 6:10 AM
Team Member
Frank

OP Chevelle is pictured below.

1965 Malibu SS coupe ... 327ci, 4 speed, 3.73 posi

Driving a musclecar, "PRICELESS"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 12:37 PM
Team Member
Frank

IMO, not having original bucket seats or a console hurts the price alot. It more-or-less says that the car is not a real SS. I would say about 9K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 2:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Will

The car isnt an SS and has never been advertised as one. Original buckets were not possible for me as they sit too high and my head would hit the headliner when I would sit in the car. Im a pretty big boy lol.

As for the console...I aint paying what people have the nerve to ask for an original console. I know they are rare but they aint made of gold lol.

Thanks for the pics btw Frank. For some reason I cant seem to get any of the pics to work when I try to post them. Ive done it a thousand times so I know Im doing it right, it just doesnt seem to want to work for me. Sig isnt working either. Something is up, I just have to find the time and will power to figure it out.

Frank, is the 9k estimation what you think it would go for in Jersey? or is that about what you think it would go for anywhere? Local market for me is decent but Ive seen alot of people ask stupid money for junk cars. I think my car is somewhere between these two:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4267054966.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4298052343.html

Im thinking of asking for 12.7k and taking nothing less than 12k...Anyone think that is a bad idea. Based on the local market I think that wouldnt be too far off. Thoughts?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 4:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills65 View Post
I think my car is somewhere between these two:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4267054966.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4298052343.html

Im thinking of asking for 12.7k and taking nothing less than 12k...Anyone think that is a bad idea. Based on the local market I think that wouldnt be too far off. Thoughts?
Sorry Will but ,no way your car compares to the 2 you posted.
Your car looks much better.
The 64 looks nice but, I`m partial to 64`s.
As for the seats, anyone can change them to what ever they want with no trouble.
From the work I see in the photo bucket link,I would think you are right on with your price(maybe more).
And I think you are being honest with your description of your car.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 4:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Sounds like a nice drivetrain, but it is still a column shift automatic with a 10 bolt peg leg. Any rust really drives down the price. Most guys are smart enough to know surface rust starts underneath and comes from the inside out. To fix properly, metal has to be replaced. Not at all cheap to start replacing metal and repainting. There is probably more that is yet to be discovered. Instruments don't work, no word on speedo. Has racing seats, admittedly a poor fit of the front trim. Not an SS, stock drum brakes, stock suspension that needs new bushings..what about ball joints,etc. Says it also needs body bushings. 65 rear body mount brackets are usually rusted when you get the body off.

Those are some of the things prospective buyer will consider. I think that keeps a realistic price down in the 7-8 range at best. You have to realize the first thing is it will need rust repair and re-paint. If a guy does it himself, maybe he'll get by for $2000 or so. If it goes to a shop that will actually get it done and do a reasonably good job, that price will go up to $4-$7.

Figure it out, if you were buying your car and knew you would have to spend another $5 for painting and rust repair another couple thou to address the other issues. You now have $20 or more in this car. Have to look at it thru buyers eyes.

Street Rod Pix

34 Ford Sedan

65 Chevelle SS

Chevelle album
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 4:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Will

Thanks Tim.

If there is one thing I am, its honest to a fault. I thought the same thing about the seats. The stock mounting locations on the floor are still intact and if someone were so inclined they could pick up a set of stock buckets and mount them up. Same goes for the console. Ive seen factory '66-67 consoles in '64-65 cars and it looks really good. Someone could go that rout if they so chose. Like I said before, Im a pretty big boy and the console/stock shifter location is just too far away from me when Im in my driving position. Thats why I built the mount for the shifter. It sits up high enough that you dont have to lean over to reach it. I like it and I think it looks better than mounting it to the floor.

I think Im pretty comfortable with a 12.7k price tag unless someone else points out something that I have overlooked.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 5:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Will

Matt, I see what you are saying and to an extent I agree.

I still think that the market around here will support that 12k ish price range.

The car was a column shift car. but its has been converted to a floor shift.

Its a 10-bolt...Not much can be done about that.

I would have preferred to have the rust issues sorted before I sold the car but that just isnt in the cards. The areas that will need attention are easily accessible, repairable and as for the hood, replaceable if necessary. Not that I think the hood needs replacing. A patch would do it. I paid in the 7-8k range for the car when I bought it and that was before I did all of the work, drivetrain, interior...It will sit before it leaves for 7-8k but then again, is that based on what your local market will support or what you think my market will support?

That seems to be a huge factor in pricing these things. Some places seem to be able to support a much higher price for an equal car in another part of the country. Miami has always had a fairly strong car market and like I said, I think that the car wouldnt be too far off in price if I listed it for the 12.7k I mentioned before.

This is exactly the kind of constructive conversation I was hoping for. Thanks everyone who has chimed in. Very helpful so far. If anyone else has anyting to add please feel free!

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 5:04 PM
Team Member
Frank

Quote:
The car isnt an SS and has never been advertised as one. Original buckets were not possible for me as they sit too high and my head would hit the headliner when I would sit in the car. Im a pretty big boy lol. As for the console...I aint paying what people have the nerve to ask for an original console. I know they are rare but they aint made of gold lol.
Will, I understand you are not advertising the car as an SS but some prospective buyers want others to think it is an SS.

Quote:
Frank, is the 9k estimation what you think it would go for in Jersey? or is that about what you think it would go for anywhere?
This is my opinion only. Maybe it has something to do with me being around many 65s for 40+ years. That is the most I would pay for a 65 without seeing it in real life and running the numbers (trim tag, VIN, POP, engine etc). Don't get me wrong, it is a nice ride but I am very frugal person ... some even say cheap.

Quote:
The initial asking price seems fair but you may have to settle for less. I hope not. I think I can sum it up in one statement, "I might sell it for that ... but not buy it for that".

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSeaS View Post
Will, I understand you are not advertising the car as an SS but some prospective buyers want others to think it is an SS.

This is my opinion only. Maybe it has something to do with me being around many 65s for 40+ years. That is the most I would pay for a 65 without seeing it in real life and running the numbers (trim tag, VIN, POP, engine etc). Don't get me wrong, it is a nice ride but I am very frugal person ... some even say cheap.

The initial asking price seems fair but you may have to settle for less. I hope not. I think I can sum it up in one statement, "I might sell it for that ... but not buy it for that".
Totally understand Frank.

I just meant that Ive never been one of those guys that claims to have something that I dont. The car is NOT an SS and Ive always made sure to make it clear that it isnt an SS. Some people are into the clone thing and thats cool. This car just isnt that.

I completely agree with you on the whole frugality thing. Being a regular Joe and owning one of these cars teaches you how to be wise with your project money.

"I might sell it for that ... but not buy it for that"
This is completely true and what I was pretty much thinking. I hope I dont have to take too much less either but I am prepared to lower the price.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 6:55 PM
Team Member
Frank

Does the car have a radio? If so, where is the antenna?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 8:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Will

The car does have a radio in it. It is an aftermarket Alpine head unit.The dash bezel is cut to fit the head unit.

Im glad you asked that question because it reminds me that I forgot to menton in the original post that the radio does not work. Almost certainly because of the wiring. There are Sony speakers in the deck and a factory placed dash speaker also from Sony.

The original antenna hole in the top of the quarter panel has been filled and there is no antenna in the car now. The radio didnt work after I put the car back together so I never took the time to put antenna in the car. I have a stealth antenna that could go in the rear window that I would give with the car but it is not installed at this point.

Thanks for reminding me of that. Im making a list of things that the car has and that the car needs and I forgot about the radio.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 14, 1:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Will, you could find an auto console pretty reasonable for a 65. It's the 4 sp console that is hard to find and high in price. Might be able to find a stock auto floor shifter pretty reasonable also.

You have to determine if you really want to put more dollars in the car with hopes of a higher selling price or just sell it as is and have a lower price. Probably unless the car has everything fixed any upgrades would probably only net you the cost of the upgrades to a selling price. Watch concluded auctions on Ebay and get a pretty good feel for what is realistic for your car. Good luck whatever you do.
E

Street Rod Pix

34 Ford Sedan

65 Chevelle SS

Chevelle album
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2015 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.