1970 chevelle air cleaner - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 14, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

1970 chevelle air cleaner

I am currently in a discuss with a friend pertaining to a what I think is a correct air cleaner that I am having restored currently.
My research for the base of the system shows that there is only one style for the L34 (single snorkle style, not considering duel snorkle or open element). My understanding is that the correct base should have the "production ripples at the bottom" not like the repops that do not have this shape. We agree on that, but he is under the impression that there is a correct second design (which is more rare according to him ?) where the upper lip or flange seat of the base is flat unlike mine where it is flanged out appr. 1/4 inch around the diameter ( above single snorkle). Question #1 Is there two styles for chevelle single snorkle? Heard the term "Flat bottom" but dont know what it refers too. Question #2 What is valve of restored correct breather? -blasted, correctly painted, not dented.

Reason I ask is a couple of months ago I was bidding on a breather on ebay that needed restored and lost at the last second with a bid of $710

Last edited by cueball70ss; Feb 5th, 14 at 1:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 1:06 PM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Thumbs up Re: 1970 chevelle air cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball70ss View Post
My research shows that there is only one style for the L34
(single snorkle style, not considering duel snorkle or open element),
but he is under the impression that there is a correct second design (which is more rare according to him ?) where the upper lip or flange seat of the base is flat unlike mine where it is flanged out appr. 1/4 inch around the diameter (above single snorkle).

Question #1 Is there two styles for Chevelle single snorkel?

Question #2 What is value of restored correct breather? -blasted, correctly painted, not dented.

Reason I ask, I bid on a breather on ebay that needed restored and lost, with a bid of $710.
#1) I'm no expert, but, I suspect there may only be one 4BBL, single snorkel, non cowl induction air cleaner in 1970, only one will have the correctly coded GM decal, for a 1970 Chevelle w/L-34 engine, w/o cowl induction.
..... "my 1970 El camino w/350, has a 15 1/2" inch diameter black lid, w/11" snorkel snout" ...

#2) I have idea what the value of a correctly restored 1970 single snorkel air cleaner, is ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 View Post
1970 air cleaner information ........

some 1970 air cleaner, [box 55] buildsheet codes ...
𡒲 "SS" in box 55 stands for open element air cleaner. w/no cowl induction
𡒲 "DG" in box 55 is the air cleaner, and is normally associated with ZL2 cowl induction option.
𡒲 "CO" in box 55, is normally associated with, the dual snorkel air cleaner.
𡒲 "CQ" in box 55, is normally associated with, the L65 engine.
𡒲 "CJ" in box 55, is normally associated with, the L48 engine.
𡒲 "CE" in box 55, is possibly associated with, the 6 cylinder engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
There were three air cleaner assemblies used on the '70 Big Block cars.

The Cowl Induction setup, the open element with the chrome lid, and the rare closed dual snorkel assembly.
If you have the build sheet, post the code from the box marked #55 Air Cleaner.

"I can tell you from the code what you had".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
yes, you have a SS396 car. [SS] is for the open element air cleaner used on the SS cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-SS454 View Post
No spacer on std. Big Block open element air cleaner; spacer on cowl induction air cleaner only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastss396man View Post
According to the factory assy manual the air cleaner base, filter & top are the same for the L78 or L34 396's.
The L78 came with a Holley carb, while the L34 came with a Q-Jet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrat720 View Post
In keeping with the theme of correctness, there were several styles of air cleaners used on Chevelles,
"but one special design was used on Chevelles with the cowl induction hood".
However, even though very similar there were two different varieties used.
The difference is in the bases of 1970 models and the 1971 & 1972 versions.

In 1970 the air cleaner has a large base with a single snorkel. The snorkel is tapered, smooth an un-interupted unit. The base also has a crankcase vent tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ss396survivor View Post
They don't repo that tube. The 1970 air cleaner for a non C/I is a one year only base.
The 1971 & 1972 air cleaner is almost identical with the exception of the snorkel and two appendages on the base of the cleaner. These extra features make up the thermostatically controlled air cleaner, and were not used on the 1970 model year. So......if you have a 1971 or 1972 with cowl induction and want to be correct the air cleaner must have the "thermostatic components" on it to be correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69396ss View Post
If your referring to air cleaner lid, 1970 applications:

𡒲 Cowl Induction = Black
𡒲 non-Cowl Induction Open Element = Chrome
𡒲 "Rare" Non Cowl Induction, Dual Snorkel = Chrome

Make sure you use the correct black wing nut, with the black air cleaner lid if you have Cowl Induction.

I believe there may have been variations on application of chrome/black and a different dual snorkel air cleaner in 1971-1972.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr70 View Post
A factory installed dual snorkel air cleaner on a 1970 Chevelle LS-6 will show a "CO" code in box #55 of it's buildsheet.

I agree also that 'NO' 1970 L-78 Chevelle, or L-34 & LS-5 for that matter, received them, as they were a later issued, Non Cowl Ind., solid lifter engine only application air cleaner.

1970 L34 Air Cleaner =
𡒲 The Dual snorkel was not used on the L34 engine.
𡒲 A working Cowl Induction hood, you need the single snorkel with the rubber seal on top.
𡒲 A standard SS bulge hood, w/o the flapper door, you need the open element air cleaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
There were actually 3 different air cleaners in 1971 & '72 on LS-5 Chevelle SS454s.

Typically you find the open-element style with the foam seal that goes around the base and the single snorkel. This one is used on the Cowl Induction cars. It had a chrome lid in '71.

For non cowl-induction cars there was a closed element style with a chrome lid. It is most often seen with a single snorkel, but on cars that came without air conditioning they came with twin snorkels.

Each snorkel had the flapper valve (Thermac) to force air through the hot air duct that drew in air from the heat sheild near the exhaust manifold. This is not the same air cleaner as used on the '70 LS-6.

The same ones were used again in '72 but they dropped the chrome lid and the 'Turbo-Jet 454 365 horsepower' decal that they all used. The '71 big block engine decals were unique to that year BTW.

Notice the decal on the 1971 single snorkel version.

Notice each snorkel had the (Thermac) flapper valve.
... some 1969 air cleaner, [box 53] buildsheet codes ...
𡒲 "07" in box 53, is associated with, the L78 engine, & the L34 engine.
𡒲 "SS" in box 53, is associated with, the L34 engine.
𡒲 "CQ" in box 53, is associated with, the L65 engine.
𡒲 "CT" in box 53, is associated with, the L35 engine.

... some 1968 air cleaner codes ...
𡒲 "CL", has been seen on, the 327 engine.
𡒲 "CJ", has been seen on, the 307 engine.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...hlight=l34+air
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/atta...3&d=1382650793

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2073 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.