'65 El Camino "roller" project - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 4:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

'65 El Camino "roller" project

What would be a reasonable asking price or minium bid amount?

'65 El Camino solid roller

I'm second owner, since 1967.

13680 body. Original 250hp 327,Muncie, 12 bolt Eaton lim slip, 3.07 ratio I believe, manual steer, power brake, radio, heater, etc. No air-con. "New" 18 yrs old tires hold 32psi forever. Factory manuals, repro parts manual. Extra parts...hood, rt front fender, NOS grille and many others NOS, junkyard salvage parts, and a few aftermarket. All of the original stuff that came with the car is included except the jack and maybe the alternator; and tires, battery, other wear items. Approx 137,000 actual miles. Always Fresno car except couple of years of Abilene TX, and four years Anchorage, AK. Mostly parked in the backyard or garage since 1980

known issues: collision damage at front of the hood and right fender, crease in the door skin lower right door, left motor mount, water intrusion around lower windshield, engine smokes (too many Alaska winter very short trips), fuel quantity indicator off-scale, radio inop. Clock never did work. No battery.

Retired 20 years ago. Hood removed and started to prepare to pull the engine, when I un-retired 19 years ago. Moved away then, and re-retired back recently, and don't have the will nor the resources to work on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 41-50.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	634438   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 21-30.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	634440   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 31-40.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	634442   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 84-93.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	634444  

Name:	EC photos 11-20.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	634446   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 74-83.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	634448   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 1-10.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	634450   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 70-73.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	634452  

Name:	EC photos 104-108.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	634454   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 60-69.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	634456   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC photos 94-103.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	634458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec photos 51-59.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	634460  

Last edited by JJ'65; Jul 27th, 20 at 4:54 PM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 7:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: '65 El Camino "roller" project

if its still got the 12 bolt that will add value. 2500 to 3000 around here. People ask more but they tend to sit. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 7:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I'd go a little higher, but not much. Just to get it streetworthy, it's more than a mechanical endeavor, it involves the wallet vacuum of body work/paint. Now, you could treat it like a parts runner, do the minimum and place a value on that, probably around $5k. Then you have to subtract the effort and investment to get to the $5k threshold. So, Jim probably is pretty close. The drivetrain gets it sold.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 7:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

You need to be more specific about the options, then highlight them, bucket seats, 4spd console, 12 bolt posi and what appears to be a factory tach (I can’t tell from the pictures) are highly desirable. They will help you sell the car and bring you more money. I’d start at $5,000, minimum, as it sits. You live close enough to LA and the Bay Area that someone interested will make the trip.

Id put it up for auction on eBay. It’s very well optioned and looks to be in good condition. A well thought out and written ad with good pictures might bring you even more. Either start the auction or have a reserve at the minimum you would accept, run it for seven days starting on a Sunday evening at 6:00pm PST, 9:00pm EST.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Jul 27th, 20 at 8:04 PM. Reason: Z
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 4:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
if its still got the 12 bolt that will add value. 2500 to 3000 around here. People ask more but they tend to sit. jim
That's about where I'd put it.

Is it on a non-op? current or expired registration?

Any rot at the windshield or rear window?

I have been looking around for another 65/66/67 El Camino project... I like that its mostly complete...

When's the last time it ran? Do the brakes currently work?

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 6:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I see the top-of dash clock which (if original) means it came with a factory tach.

I can't see in the pics, does it have a factory installed console? I was thinking that was included in 65 in an elcamino with the optional bucket seats and a 4-speed. Looks like a really good car/truck.

I would shoot for 5K and see what happens, especially with extra new parts included.

Good luck!
Steve R and ACES1 like this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 6:44 PM
Tech Team

theres a console there jeff.bout half way down in the pics.does look like a tach if so that and the clock are worth some good money also the 4spd and console,i myself would be looking for 5k.
Steve R and ACES1 like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 7:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Someone could sell off the 12 bolt posi, tach, bucket seats and console for right around $2,500. That asking price is unrealistically low. You might sell it to a really good friend for close to that price, but not some random stranger answering an ad.

Steve R
ACES1 likes this.

Last edited by Steve R; Jul 28th, 20 at 7:06 PM. Reason: Z
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 7:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Thanks for the interest and comments. Some of that info is in the words of the post and/or photos. Yes 12 bolt. Calif title in my name, on non-ops since 2003. Like I said, water intrusion around windshield. Severe "rot"? Not as far as I can tell. Have to take a look to know the extent if any. Maybe the seal failed? I don't know. I'll take pictures for when I put it on e-bay. It's completely complete...MC, FP, WP cores included. Last time it ran was 2003 when I pulled it into the garage. Brakes work. MC failure is what precipitated the collision damage in 1992. I'm still mad at myself for that one. About 10 ft. run at fast idle in 1'st gear until...the grapefruit tree. New Raybestos re-man MC after that. Yes factory tach works 2,000 rpm indicated @ 50mph indicated. Clock never did work. That big beautiful chrome-plated die casting of a center console is pristine and included. See the low-res photo. I removed it after the heater core sprung a leak Nov 79. Its already getting cold in Anchorage in November. I had to s-can the carpet, so removed the console, never got around to re-installing. Got nice new rubber for the console included by the way. Bought the only new heater core I could find in Anchorage, and there was a crack in one of the solder joints. Radiator shop cleaned and reassembled old one $21.60 works good. Yeah it was a really good ride, my first "good" car and next best I've ever owned except for my '08 Corolla. My personal opinion is that its a very solid basis for a nice "personal car", but I'm biased. I'm not going to try to squeeze the last nickle out of it. Don't need to. Heck, I'd probably just give it to some worthy young fellow if I could be reasonably certain it would get back on the road and not parted out.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 7:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Someone could sell off the 12 bolt posi, tach, bucket seats and console for right around $2,500. That asking price is unrealistically low. You might sell it to a really good friend for close to that price, but not some random stranger answering an ad.

Steve R
Thanks Steve! Somehow I knew you'd probably have some good advice. Yeah If I'd pencil out all of individual items, there's quite a bit there
Steve R likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 8:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Let us know when you list it, I would like to follow the auction!
Steve R likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 8:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'65 View Post
Thanks for the interest and comments. Some of that info is in the words of the post and/or photos. Yes 12 bolt. Calif title in my name, on non-ops since 2003. Like I said, water intrusion around windshield. Severe "rot"? Not as far as I can tell. Have to take a look to know the extent if any. Maybe the seal failed? I don't know. I'll take pictures for when I put it on e-bay. It's completely complete...MC, FP, WP cores included. Last time it ran was 2003 when I pulled it into the garage. Brakes work. MC failure is what precipitated the collision damage in 1992. I'm still mad at myself for that one. About 10 ft. run at fast idle in 1'st gear until...the grapefruit tree. New Raybestos re-man MC after that. Yes factory tach works 2,000 rpm indicated @ 50mph indicated. Clock never did work. That big beautiful chrome-plated die casting of a center console is pristine and included. See the low-res photo. I removed it after the heater core sprung a leak Nov 79. Its already getting cold in Anchorage in November. I had to s-can the carpet, so removed the console, never got around to re-installing. Got nice new rubber for the console included by the way. Bought the only new heater core I could find in Anchorage, and there was a crack in one of the solder joints. Radiator shop cleaned and reassembled old one $21.60 works good. Yeah it was a really good ride, my first "good" car and next best I've ever owned except for my '08 Corolla. My personal opinion is that its a very solid basis for a nice "personal car", but I'm biased. I'm not going to try to squeeze the last nickle out of it. Don't need to. Heck, I'd probably just give it to some worthy young fellow if I could be reasonably certain it would get back on the road and not parted out.
Thank you.

It’s a nice truck that’s a little rough around the edges. I hope you put it up for auction, let the market speak. There are so many people out there that will try and take advantage of a nice seller that it would be hard to believe what someone was telling on face value. An auction with a well thought out and timed ad virtually guarantee it goes to someone that will appreciate it. At that point maybe giving a portion of the proceeds to the local high school ROP will do some good.

Good luck with the sale. I second the suggestion of letting everyone know if and when you list the car.

Steve R
Pete 67 likes this.

Last edited by Steve R; Jul 28th, 20 at 8:39 PM. Reason: Z
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Anyway to post active pictures, not sure that's the right term, but pictures you can expand? I think Nubalm's brother's '65 made an indelible impression on me.
Pete 67 and Blown1932 like this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Anyway to post active pictures, not sure that's the right term, but pictures you can expand? I think Nubalm's brother's '65 made an indelible impression on me.

Hey Turk, Where's your EL CAMINO?!?

I love that movie.
Blown1932 and mino65 like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 20, 9:02 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

If this does go up for sale I hope someone restores it and doesn't part it out or highly modify it. That would be a really neat little truck all fixed up, has some really cool options.
Steve R likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in