• 1 Post By 1775SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Dealer Poster

Here is something for the 73 and up crowd to make you feel like part of the group. Now you can overpay for a poster that the seller most likely got for free.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/at...154038434.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 2:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Dealer Poster

Lots of people are looking for vintage “garage art”. I don’t see how anyone can fault the seller, regardless of what he paid, or didn’t. I’ve been given more than a little racing posters, fliers and other memorabilia in the past, I’ll probably sell some later this year to cover some bills. The owners were just going to throw it away, they sold their hard parts and either didn’t see any value or didn’t want to hassle with selling them piece by piece. That’s the reason it has value, most were thrown away, it works that way with car parts too. Some small mundane parts are expensive today because nobody bothered to save them when these cars were being parted out in great numbers.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Jul 13th, 20 at 2:20 PM. Reason: X
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 3:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

If you were to find a $100 dollar bill lying by the side of a road, it doesn't follow that is worthless because of where it came from or how it was found.
Steve R likes this.

Jon N. ~ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Wow tuff crowd. You boys going to throw the book at me for a half hearted joke???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 4:50 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Here is something for the 73 and up crowd to make you feel like part of the group. Now you can overpay for a poster that the seller most likely got for free.

Why does it matter if the seller got it for free or not?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 4:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Wow tuff crowd. You boys going to throw the book at me for a half hearted joke???
Hope you didn’t take it personally. Unfortunately I’ve started to see a lot of people trying to dictate what people can sell items for based on what they think something is worth or how much the seller paid. That’s leading down a bad road if people are serious.

Steve R
67since67 and Derek69SS like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 5:37 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
Why does it matter if the seller got it for free or not?
Holy Sh#t. What is this? Gang up on Brad day?

Mods just remove the whole thread? Evidently it is very offensive.

Seriously, arent you guys being a little over sensitive?
Dean 1961 likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 6:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage

Quote:

Hey Brad, what do you got against the 73 and up crowd. One day, you'll be that old.
68-13427 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 6:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Back in my swap meet days I bought a tunnel ram set-up from another vendor. Paid him the asking price. Took it back to my space and broke it down to sell the parts separately. Later, when he walked by, you would have thought I stole it from him he was so pizzed off. Sold all those tunnel ram parts that same day. At later swap meets same guy refused to sell me anything. Some people don't learn from their mistakes. Others can profit from them though.

Jon N. ~ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 7:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Back in my swap meet days I bought a tunnel ram set-up from another vendor. Paid him the asking price. Took it back to my space and broke it down to sell the parts separately. Later, when he walked by, you would have thought I stole it from him he was so pizzed off. Sold all those tunnel ram parts that same day. At later swap meets same guy refused to sell me anything. Some people don't learn from their mistakes. Others can profit from them though.
I don’t normally sell things at the same swapmeet I bought it at, to me, it’s bad form.

This morning a friend that has worked NHRA events for the last 30 years called and asked if I wanted racer handouts that had collected. They are moving and clearing out stuff the aren’t going to use. They said there are around 300. I said yes and asked if they wanted anything for them, they said no even though they know I am going to sell them. Their main interest is that these don’t wind up in the garbage, which is what would have happened if I didn’t want them. This isn’t the first time they’ve done something like that, last year they gave me a box of stickers, including hundreds of national event contestant stickers.

It would shock most people to find out what NHRA, track employees and long time racers have thrown away over the years. They have been around really cool stuff for so long that many interesting items become something that’s just taking up shelf space. I was talking to the former track manager of Fremont drag strip, they got tired of cleaning their old trophies so they filled up the bed of their truck with trophies dating back to the 1950’s from Fremont, Half Moon Bay, Cotati, Vaca Valley, Lions, Bakersfield, Irwindale, OCIR, and more, basically every track up and down the west coast, then tossed them in a dumpster at work. They are not the only racer I know that’s done that.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Jul 13th, 20 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Z
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I picked up a box of old car mags once and in there was the opening day lions dragway program booklet. this was in the 80s, i ran a ad in the paper and sold it for 50 bucks. Found a dealer pamphlet for a 79 z28 they used to give away at the dealerships. i sent it to a 79 z28 owner over on nastyz28 just because he had a 79z and I dont. But its amazing how stuff some folks think are worthless actually has value to others
got a case of old oil cans at a yard sale, saw it sitting on the ground next to a trashcan. Asked the lady for a price, she said they were trash but if I want them take them. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Holy Sh#t. What is this? Gang up on Brad day?

Mods just remove the whole thread? Evidently it is very offensive.

Seriously, arent you guys being a little over sensitive?
Yes, they are. It's a sign of the times...

My 1966 SS396 Project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 GTO:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in