1970 Chevelle SS Cortez silver - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 8:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1970 Chevelle SS Cortez silver

A few years back I befriended a gentleman at the car cruises here in western Pa. He had a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 that was all original with less than 12,000 miles. He was so proud of his vehicle and it was immaculate. This car had never been repainted and he kept all of the hoses and belts that he changed through out the years. He has all of the documentation including the original window sticker and bill of sale when he purchased it. This Chevelle is a manual four speed with the 350 horse power 396 (402) and is all original as it was in 1970. I have never seen a Chevelle as nice and original as this car is. Unfortunately, he passed away three years ago. A couple of days ago, his widow called me and offered to sale this car to me. The Chevelle currently has a little more than 14,000 miles on it. She offered the car to me for $75,000.00. Is it worth it?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 10:03 PM
Tech Team
Don

Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle SS Cortez silver

Is it worth it to you is the question. Are you in love with this car? Would you keep it or want to flip it? Do you really want a low mile original survivor? They are harder to find and command a good price. Only original once they say. $75,000 sounds like a lot of money to me but I did see a Superbird and a Daytona Charger go over 200k at Mecum last week so I think the market is still strong for the right car. Personally I would not spend that kind of money for a 396 car. But I'm not the one considering it.

Don
Freddy Mercado and LeoP like this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 12:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

If the car is truly as nice as you describe it, then yes it's worth it. That car would be in my garage this weekend if I were you.

1970 SS454 LS5
Cranberry Red
Silver Spinner

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 10:06 AM
Tech Team

black vinyl top? black stripes? a/c?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Garage

I'd try and negotiate it down... but she's in the ballpark..
Freddy Mercado and SS4Real like this.

'67 ElCamino - Pro touring
and a few Pontiacs..
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 4:27 PM
Tech Team
John

Personally I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb....check all the numbers, then offer her what you can afford... Don't want to insult her.

John
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 4:50 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

75K is a lot of cash, but if the car is as you described the widow must have done her homework...75K is a fair price IMO, but who ever pays the asking price for a car? I would try to negotiate a tad with her without insulting her of course(considering the circumstances). JMO...good luck, sounds like a nice car.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 5:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I talked to Susan(Frank's widow) and she is firm on the price. I think she is in the ballpark also with this price. I know that this car seems too good to be true, but believe me, this Chevelle is the cleanest, most original Chevelle I have ever seen. Unfortunately, I would have to sell my 70 Chevelle to purchase this vehicle. I just can not part with mine. Also, the more I think about owning this car the more I realize that I would have to trailer this car to events in fear that someone would wreck into it. It is almost like owning a museum piece. The best part about owning a Chevelle is driving it(at least this is my opinion).

Jim
surmin69, HKalin and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 5:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This is the only pic I have of the car.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	632350  
Freddy Mercado and TerryAT like this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 5:48 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

After reading your last post I will say this...you seem to be on the fence about buying the car. If you have any doubt at all keep the 75K in your IRA or whatever, and continue to enjoy your current Chevelle. Why spend this kind of cash if you keep the car hidden all of the time for no one - including yourself, to enjoy. These cars are meant to be driven, enjoyed and appreciated - not hidden away in a trailer or garage. Again, JMO.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 5:59 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Sounds like and looks like a great car. Personally I could not enjoy a car like that. Oh sure you would be the bell of the ball with it. Can you imagine the response that car would get at the area Chevelle shows.
To me it would be too much of a pain in the rear. Constant worry about it and forget about taking it out and romping on it a little. To buy it and just let people look at it is not my idea of owning a classic car.
Not going to knock anyone who wants to do that however. Different strokes for different folks.
surmin69, HKalin, rjt427 and 2 others like this.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 6:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

That almost looks like Shadow Gray not Cortez Silver.
polywise likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 6:34 PM
Tech Team

does look a little dark for cortez silver.could just be the lighting.
HKalin likes this.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 6:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage

You sort of gave your answer about purchasing...you can't part with your 70 SS. If you have unlimited funds and can afford both more power to you. I agree that buying that museum piece could end up being a pain. Afraid to drive it and trailering to shows does not seem like a lot of fun compared to driving it and having people on the sidewalk giving you the thumbs up and staring at the SS. If you decide to pass maybe you can offer it to someone here. The pic may not be colored correct as I have a cortex silver and it sure doesn't look like my color. Sounds like Sue has done some homework on the price. Good luck with whatever you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 8:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up Re: 1970 Chevelle SS Cortez silver

The color might be shadow gray, I am not sure. I plan on contacting Susan and tell her I have to pass on the car. Everyone is right, I can not see myself enjoying this car by having to trailer it to events and not drive it anywhere. If she does not have anyone else interested in it, I will let everyone know.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in