Need help with values... - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 4:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Need help with values...

This morning I spoke to an acquaintance whose neighbor has 3 old Chevy's that were her late husbands. The poor guy died of cancer about 5 years ago while in the middle of restoring them. Two '57 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtops & a 70 GMC shortbed pickup. All in various stages of restoration. The truck has A/C and later model seats.

After speaking to the widow on the phone, she has no idea what she wants for them as her younger son is handling the sale. She gave me his number & I plan to call him this evening to discuss.

Here's a few pics she sent me...Anyone help with some numbers so I can try to make a fair offer individually or for all 3.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 5:20 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage
Re: Need help with values...

I won't even hazard on the value but I had to comment. To me, that looks like a heck of a find, and all 3 certainly have great potential. From the pics it looks like the guy was doing a good job on the restoration of all 3, but I am certainly no expert - just my extremely novice opinion. I will say that the value of all 3 is certainly more than I could afford.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 6:08 PM
Banned

Tri Five parts are considerably more expensive than Chevelle parts but the seller may already have most of what's needed to complete the restorations.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 6:34 AM

Garage

Go to the Tri Five Forum and you will get the experts there to give you a reasonable estimate.
69SHEVL likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 3:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I'll throw some uneducated guesses out there:
Painted 57 - 15K
Primered 57 - 10K
C10 - 6K
At least if I were shopping, that's what I would expect to be reasonable. It will depend a lot on what's included with each vehicle.
Steve R likes this.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
Painted 57 - 15K
Primered 57 - 10K
C10 - 6K
At least if I were shopping, that's what I would expect to be reasonable. It will depend a lot on what's included with each vehicle.

I'd say those are low estimates, especially on the GMC truck.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 5:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Painted 57 - 15K
Primered 57 - 10K
C10 - 6K
These are probably pretty accurate. Tri five Chevys aren’t nearly as popular as they used to be and the two unpainted cars will need a lot of time and probably money to finish. The work seems decent but that’s about it. With the uncertain economy its probably better to make the sale than hold out for top dollar and all of the hassles that would involve.

Steve R
Chris27 likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 5:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Around here,NY-NJ area that truck will easily bring $9-10 K but the tri-fives seem like a good estimate as long as they're rust free.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 5:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Regarding the two 57's I can tell you that there is a small fortune of trim, parts, clips, etc. that will contribute or take away from the value.

Tri-fives are now worth more as restomods than original or restored to original.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 5:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia69 View Post
I'd say those are low estimates, especially on the GMC truck.

The lower the amount of information on the vehicle, the lower the estimate . C10's are hot right now, but all we have is a few pics to go by. From the pics, they are all unfinished projects with who knows how many missing parts.
Steve R likes this.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

One more thing on the 57's.

The amount of stainless steel brightwork, inside and outside of a Belair is VERY expensive to restore and polish.

When I bought my Nomad, one of the things that was very appealing to me was when I found most all of it

polished, bubble wrapped and labeled. If they're just laying in a crusty pile on a shelf, you got a $10-12K mess minimum.

Same with the chrome.
Pete 67 and shovelrick like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 1:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Painted 57 - 15K
Primered 57 - 10K
C10 - 6K
Yeah I agree with you. I had decided I was a buyer at right around those prices...that was the limit of what I was willing to pay on each. It was all contingent on how complete each vehicle was. But....

I had a conversation with the son of the widow who owns the three cars in question. Very nice guy, but unfortunately he's someone who watches too much Barret-Jackson.

According to him the painted '57 is not on the market & all the '57 trim & chrome they have is dedicated to that car. So the primered '57 is basically a shell plus drivetrain, with no interior, no trim etc. He wants to sell the car with the understanding that any leftover trim from the painted '57 will then go to the primered car. That's a tough ask...I would never agree to a deal like that.

Then I inquired about the truck. He was saying it's some type of GMC special edition 2WD that has factory leaf springs instead of coils in the rear. Maybe that's a selling point for someone, but I took it the opposite way. I'd much rather deal with coil springs. Otherwise it's a 402, TH400 with a GV overdrive..which is cool, but of course, "all it needs is paint".

I stayed on the phone as a courtesy but I knew there was no deal to be made. Before hanging up, curiosity got the better of me and I was interested to know what number he had in his head.

Obviously there's an emotional tax being levied on the price these cars because they were his late fathers, but when he said $19000, I got a little excited & thought there was room to deal. So I said, "For both?" Nope, what he actually meant was, $19k each.

I wouldn't pay that much for them, but maybe someone else will. I got the feeling he was fishing, but doesn't really want to sell. Sounded like he knew just enough about cars and wants to keep them, but doesn't know how to put them together himself. If I was in his shoes, I'd want to keep them too.

Oh well. Not the end of the world. Thanks for all the replies...For a day or so, I thought I had my next projects lined up.
427L88, 69SHEVL, Steve R and 3 others like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 8:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

hmmm......I think if you check, most GMC's were leaf, coil was option, just the reverse for Chevy's.
Sell should think of selling one or two to fund the completion of the other one or two.
Chris27 and shovelrick like this.

66 Malibu

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 9:45 AM
Tech Team

i had a 70 gmc 3/4 ton camper special it had leafs,with overloads,i still have the back half as it's my junk trailer.the back bumper is on rails and slides out to accommodate a slide in camper.it was a 402/th400 a/c truck.i also had a 69 chevy 3/4 ton it had coils.also at one time had a 69 chevy 3/4 with leafs.so is it rare with leafs??who knows.
Chris27 likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 7:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

As far as I know, or at least remember. Chevy's were truck arm / coils leafs optional. GMC's were leafs with truck arm / coils optional. All the 4x4's were leafs. Probably nothing rare about any combination, GM made thousands of those trucks.
Steve R, davewho1 and shovelrick like this.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in