1970 running Project - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 9:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

1970 running Project

Iím curious as to what your guys thoughts are on this car in general and what itís worth. Saw it listed for sale and asked a few questions and received more pictures. Iím told that it has an original 454, m22 and 12 bolt from a rusted out ls5 that have been rebuilt to ďfactoryĒ specs and put into this solid Malibu. Also that the cowl hood and dash were also swapped over. I was told that it runs and drives.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage
Re: 1970 running Project

My question would be, why would someone take a car that far into a resto and then bail on it.
Looks nice though. for the right price I would buy it. Most of the hard work is done. Only fun stuff left to do to get it looking great.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

That was my thought too. What do you think the ďrightĒ price would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 11:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

Iíd price it as a Malibu project with good parts instralled. It would mean nothing to me that it has the complete drivetrain from a 1970 LS-5 Chevelle. In fact Iíd rather have one with an LS-6 crate engine. Iíd say $15,000 maximum, if the body work was done to a high standard. It still has a long way to go and needs a lot of money spent to finish, the price should be set based on what clones sell for, which is in flux due to the tanking economy.

Steve R
busterwivell likes this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 9:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

From the pictures Iíve received, it looks like it still needs plenty body work, but was also told it is basically rust free. Any idea what clones are actually getting these days? I feel like I constantly see these cars being offered for sale in the high 60s but donít know what they actually sell for.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 5:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbr3t View Post
From the pictures Iíve received, it looks like it still needs plenty body work, but was also told it is basically rust free. Any idea what clones are actually getting these days? I feel like I constantly see these cars being offered for sale in the high 60s but donít know what they actually sell for.

Hi 60's would be real SS money. This is a 30K car tops when finished.
Steve R and 71350SS like this.

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 6:07 PM
Tech Team

This is a tough one. To me a really well done clone can probably still bring 30-40k depending on all kinds of things ( but you would probably be investing about that much to get there on this one). This looks like a driver to me. Interior and body need work. That quarter panel is pretty wavy and you would need to check for bondo. If the glass and parts are there it can be a driver real quick though.

I feel like this is a car that someone will ask 12-15k for. I would want to be around 8k to feel comfortable though. It would need to have most of the parts to be around and drive pretty well for me to move up to 10k. - but honestly you don't usually find '70 chevelles less than 10k that are mostly there and run.

Obviously this can depend on a lot of things. I mean it's still a '70 chevelle with a running big block asking to be driven. It will probably settle around 10ish if he/she wants to sell it but by the pictures I would try to be lower. If they hold out maybe they can get higher but the market may scare some people off also.

Just my opinion.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 6:33 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

$10K- $12k depending on personal inspection.
What is the asking price?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 6:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

To me, this is the kind of project that can nickel and dime you to death to the tune of 35/40K to build a nice driver, from what I see and that's if you have a good body shop that will give you a break. With the uncertainty of todays' economy, I would be hard pressed to spend more than 10/12K on this car and that is with a pair of eyes on it that you can really trust to inspect everything. I would also need to see real receipts for the engine, trans. and rear rebuild for sure. Sometimes you are just better off finding a car that is done. JMO on it.

TC# 3091

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 7:41 PM

i fully agree with 704EVER. "nickel and dime you to death" is a phrase that i can relate to, and this is with a car that we already own. ours has been parked for 20 years and i have been slowly ressurecting/upgrading it.

but it is amazing how much money mom and dad have spent to get it back in shape. unless you have ever owned an old car like this, you may not be prepared for all of the "little things" that really add up to "big things"

in the end. for example, ours needed a tranny rebuild. but we could get a new super case m22z for the same cost as the rebuild so they bought the new one for $2700. new master cylinder, new brake lines, all

linkages, shifter, fork, trunk weatherstripping, radiator support bushings, clutch and flywheel, you get the point! the car pictured in your photos is at a starting point way behind where mom and dads car is, and that is

why i agree with 704EVER. if you want to enjoy driving an old chevelle or other old car sometime in your life, for the money, i would look for one in a better starting place and save yourself the headache, unless you have

an unlimited money supply or want a long-term project such as this one looks to be. just my .02 cents. good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 ss 454 chevelle.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	628714  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Thanks for the advice from all. I understand how costs can add up for sure, Iíve had Chevy truck projects in the past but never a car. This has always been my dream car. So Iím always looking for the right one and always try to see the potential in something.

You guys ready for his asking price???
Heís asking $25k...

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 10:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Dreaming at 25K, so he ain't going down to 10 - 12K. Well, not right now anyway.
Steve R likes this.

66 Malibu......back to life, now with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

if the guy wants top dollar and not spend much more money, he would be better off spending a few weeks bolting it all back together so a potential buyer can buy it as a turn key driver and know that most of the odds and ends are there. jim
Freddy Mercado and 68-13427 like this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 7:54 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbr3t View Post
You guys ready for his asking price???
Heís asking $25k...
Check back with him come November. He may be ready for a price correction by then.
If you would have included his asking price in the opening post Iím quite sure most would have said keep looking.
Numbr3t and 68-13427 like this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 8:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I bet the seller is expecting the drive train is worth a premium. If he would have swapped over the solid body around the cowl area of the LS5 chevelle, and kept it matching it might have brought the value up. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in