Team Chevelle banner

1966 Malibu 2 door

8K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  67_LS1 
#1 ·
This is a one-owner car I just bought. It has 99,000 original miles on a 283 two barrel with a powerglide transmission that are all original. Bench seat, factory air and tilt steering. Interior is a 9. Exterior has some small rusting around the wheel wells and the paint is probably 6 out of 10. No real body damage but definitely not a show car. Interested in the approximate price it could be sold for privately. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

As far as value is concerned, are worried you paid too much or are you flipping it & trying to maximize profits?

Hard to give you a fair value without seeing exactly what the rust issues are. When you say small rust, is it on the surface or are there holes that need to be patched? Holes mean metal work, which obviously means paint job. Curious, what area of the country is the car from?

The one owner, factory air, tilt wheel features are big selling points for sure, but the possibility of metal work is a giant negative, as are those body side moldings if they're riveted on....more holes to fill.

Regardless, I'd probably be a buyer at 12,500 -$14,000 & If I was selling I'd be asking $16,000 but I'd be willing to negotiate.

#8 ·
IMO, the "one-owner" (actually two owner), A/C and tilt aren't big selling points... Its still a bench seat powerglide, which means its a column-shift (tilt is nicer than non), V8, but its only a 283/2-barrel. pretty basic. Unless its an all-original "survivor (meaning original paint), then it really doesn't have a lot going for it beyond being a nice-looking Chevele.

If that paint was original (even if its been buffed out), then I'd guess maybe $15k-$16k... I'd guess "selling" price $12-$15k, assuming its not rotted in the window channel, etc... And of course, none of the rust was covered by the repaint...

Location also has a lot to do with the prices too...

And right now, with the COVID stuff, I'd guess maybe $10k-$13k... The people with money are probably going to hold out for better options (like buckets or 327), or better deals...

#3 ·
As mentioned above, it’s impossible to tell from one picture. Location will also matter.

I think the previous estimates are at the top end of what an unrestored car with some rust issues will likely get, but that’s up to you and you might as well start high.

Steve R

#4 ·
I believe Pete 67 is close in his evaluation, but I'm a tad more optimistic.. Body side moldings appear to be held on with double sided tape which would be a plus for anyone thinking about restoring. If the rust is confined to the wheel wells only (all 4?), and the frame, floor, and rockers are in good shape I'd guess 16K minimum.

#12 ·
I will post up some more pictures today. It is in Omaha, NE and lived its life in Nebraska. It has had one repaint and does have some small rust issues. I have wanted a chevelle for as long as I can remember but I am not hugely mechanically inclined. I have to make a decision about whether this car is a good starter for me to learn on or find something more redone and just enjoy it. I appreciate everyone taking time to help me out!!

#15 ·
As long as it runs, drives, and stops, it should make for a great first car to start out with. I don't think the numbers-matching crowd is going to pay top dollar for this, and for that reason you aren't going to hurt the value if you modify it. You can upgrade it a little bit at a time so you can keep driving and enjoying it, or blow the whole car apart in your garage and do an all-out restomod or pro-touring type build. But to your original question, IMO since it's a 283/PG, bench seat, column-shift, and presumably 10-bolt car, it doesn't provide any of the goodies that I (or many other buyers) would be looking for. If the body and frame are all solid overall, then a car like this would make a great candidate for a build. I'd maybe pay $10k but no more than that. But that's because I'd basically be buying it to build it.

#18 ·
Thank you both for speaking out...I thought maybe I did something wrong but was pretty sure I was in the "What's it Worth" area of the forum

I am absolutely a young guy (35) who just bought my first classic and am looking for a direction to go with it. I have another post here inquiring how to remove some body moldings and people have been very helpful. I am in no way a troll or a flipper. I have been looking for a chevelle I could afford for 6 years. I got this one for 12,000. Maybe I paid too much....but it is mine now.

Thanks for all the help!!

#19 ·
You're good! You and I are pretty close in age, you're definitely on the younger side compared to most other members here but you aren't alone. Most guys here are pretty welcoming and eager to help. There will always be one or two here and there where that isn't the case. You don't have to listen or even respond to their posts if you don't want ;)

I've learned a ton from being on this forum, and I still have a ton to learn. Sounds like you're just getting your feet wet. One thing I can tell you about this hobby is that the only way to learn is to learn as you go. The more you do, the more you'll learn. And the longer you own your car, the more you'll do to it. Oh and it's fun as hell.

The older members have been around these cars for their entire lifetimes and know them like the back of their own hand, and the younger members only know what they've learned since buying their Chevelle, however long or little that may be. Sometimes we all have to keep that in mind :thumbsup: .

#21 ·
I think you did ok as long as the rust issues ARE minor. They can be VERY expensive to repair if you don't have the skills to make the repairs yourself.

I paid $2200 for my '66 back in 1979 and some people thought I got taken. In hindsight, I think I did all right and I'm glad I bought it and still have it. :thumbsup:

You say you're not very mechanically inclined, but you can learn. We all started somewhere. ;)

There's a WEALTH of knowledge here and plenty of folks who are more than happy to help you. :thumbsup: There are NO dumb questions. ;)

Good luck! :grin2:

#27 ·
congrats on your 66. nice thing about a base type car is you can do stuff to make it the car you want and not worry about it being a rare matching big block car. If you want bucket seats, find a pair and bolt them in, if you don't like it, change them back! (I keep swapping my 66 from bench to buckets 4 times now) like it's been pointed out, I would recommend a disc brake upgrade up front. They stop better when it rains.
sounds like this is your first hotrod. Enjoy it, but if you decide you need a upgrade, make sure you plan it out, have the parts on hand, ask questions and try to do things that can be finished over a weekend. You don't want to be one of those guys that takes stuff apart and end up with garage art thats parked for years. jim

#28 ·
I should have added, don't worry weather others think you over or under paid for the car, as long as your happy with it, enjoy it. whats the saying when it comes to buying a gun for more than its worth? you didn't actually over pay for it, you just bought it a little early. jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.