1966 Malibu 2 door - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

1966 Malibu 2 door

This is a one-owner car I just bought. It has 99,000 original miles on a 283 two barrel with a powerglide transmission that are all original. Bench seat, factory air and tilt steering. Interior is a 9. Exterior has some small rusting around the wheel wells and the paint is probably 6 out of 10. No real body damage but definitely not a show car. Interested in the approximate price it could be sold for privately. Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2330.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	628062  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 6:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1966 Malibu 2 door

Welcome to the site!

As far as value is concerned, are worried you paid too much or are you flipping it & trying to maximize profits?

Hard to give you a fair value without seeing exactly what the rust issues are. When you say small rust, is it on the surface or are there holes that need to be patched? Holes mean metal work, which obviously means paint job. Curious, what area of the country is the car from?

The one owner, factory air, tilt wheel features are big selling points for sure, but the possibility of metal work is a giant negative, as are those body side moldings if they're riveted on....more holes to fill.

Regardless, I'd probably be a buyer at 12,500 -$14,000 & If I was selling I'd be asking $16,000 but I'd be willing to negotiate.
davewho1 likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 6:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

As mentioned above, itís impossible to tell from one picture. Location will also matter.

I think the previous estimates are at the top end of what an unrestored car with some rust issues will likely get, but thatís up to you and you might as well start high.

Steve R

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 7:25 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

I believe Pete 67 is close in his evaluation, but I'm a tad more optimistic.. Body side moldings appear to be held on with double sided tape which would be a plus for anyone thinking about restoring. If the rust is confined to the wheel wells only (all 4?), and the frame, floor, and rockers are in good shape I'd guess 16K minimum.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 7:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Well technically itís a two owner car when you sell it. Also, whatever you paid would be a good starting point as far as value.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage

lovely car.

Side molding looks like peel and stick. Mineral spirits might work.

Rarely see the under the grille pan painted correctly.
RAIDER SS likes this.

Tom Lloyd

take my advice, I'm not using it.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 10:22 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd66 View Post

Rarely see the under the grille pan painted correctly.
that is one of my biggest pet peeves on 66's.also the outer headlight bezels on ss's not blacked out.
1966_L78, RAIDER SS and davewho1 like this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 1:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Welcome to the site!

As far as value is concerned, are worried you paid too much or are you flipping it & trying to maximize profits?

Hard to give you a fair value without seeing exactly what the rust issues are. When you say small rust, is it on the surface or are there holes that need to be patched? Holes mean metal work, which obviously means paint job. Curious, what area of the country is the car from?

The one owner, factory air, tilt wheel features are big selling points for sure, but the possibility of metal work is a giant negative, as are those body side moldings if they're riveted on....more holes to fill.

Regardless, I'd probably be a buyer at 12,500 -$14,000 & If I was selling I'd be asking $16,000 but I'd be willing to negotiate.
IMO, the "one-owner" (actually two owner), A/C and tilt aren't big selling points... Its still a bench seat powerglide, which means its a column-shift (tilt is nicer than non), V8, but its only a 283/2-barrel. pretty basic. Unless its an all-original "survivor (meaning original paint), then it really doesn't have a lot going for it beyond being a nice-looking Chevele.

If that paint was original (even if its been buffed out), then I'd guess maybe $15k-$16k... I'd guess "selling" price $12-$15k, assuming its not rotted in the window channel, etc... And of course, none of the rust was covered by the repaint...

Location also has a lot to do with the prices too...

And right now, with the COVID stuff, I'd guess maybe $10k-$13k... The people with money are probably going to hold out for better options (like buckets or 327), or better deals...
Steve R and TerryAT like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 9:52 AM
Tech Team

Nice of you to become a new member just so we can appraise your car or give you the confidence you need to buy it. I can make an opinion of value but what good would it do. most of us here are not in it for the money
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 10:13 AM
Banned

If you are trying to sell it. send me a PM
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuss67 View Post
Nice of you to become a new member just so we can appraise your car or give you the confidence you need to buy it. I can make an opinion of value but what good would it do. most of us here are not in it for the money
I didn't join here just so I can get an appraisal. I already bought it. But thanks... I joined here because I am a first time Chevelle owner who wants to learn about fixing up my new purchase. I was more looking to see if I didn't get taken on the deal.
67_LS1 and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I will post up some more pictures today. It is in Omaha, NE and lived its life in Nebraska. It has had one repaint and does have some small rust issues. I have wanted a chevelle for as long as I can remember but I am not hugely mechanically inclined. I have to make a decision about whether this car is a good starter for me to learn on or find something more redone and just enjoy it. I appreciate everyone taking time to help me out!!
davewho1 and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 10:57 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbetsworth View Post
I didn't join here just so I can get an appraisal. I already bought it. But thanks... I joined here because I am a first time Chevelle owner who wants to learn about fixing up my new purchase. I was more looking to see if I didn't get taken on the deal.
This statement is very contradictory as it shows that you are wanting an appraisal to make sure you purchased it fairly. how bout disclosing what you paid for it ?
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 12:22 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuss67 View Post
This statement is very contradictory as it shows that you are wanting an appraisal to make sure you purchased it fairly. how bout disclosing what you paid for it ?
Come on. Judging by the two posts you've contributed to this thread, are responses like yours really necessary? How exactly would it hurt you just to respond with a $$ estimate of how much you think you might pay for a car like that? OP could be a troll or a flipper looking to make a quick buck, or he could be a young guy who just bought his first classic (no skin off my back either way). No need to be rude for no reason to a new member.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old May 28th, 20, 12:23 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

As long as it runs, drives, and stops, it should make for a great first car to start out with. I don't think the numbers-matching crowd is going to pay top dollar for this, and for that reason you aren't going to hurt the value if you modify it. You can upgrade it a little bit at a time so you can keep driving and enjoying it, or blow the whole car apart in your garage and do an all-out restomod or pro-touring type build. But to your original question, IMO since it's a 283/PG, bench seat, column-shift, and presumably 10-bolt car, it doesn't provide any of the goodies that I (or many other buyers) would be looking for. If the body and frame are all solid overall, then a car like this would make a great candidate for a build. I'd maybe pay $10k but no more than that. But that's because I'd basically be buying it to build it.
Steve R and 540 Olds like this.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in