M22 Muncie - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 1:50 PM Thread Starter

Question M22 Muncie

inherited racecar with this transmission. car was raced in early 70's and garage kept since. Muncie M22.....3925661...Ser. P0E14C ...Aluminum case 4 speed. took car around local oval and tranny works great . Parting car out. Question what do I have and what's it worth. Al [email protected] Port Colborne ,Ontario .......Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: M22 Muncie

Start at $1800 and when someone offers you $1500 take it.
540 Olds and Saltherring like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 1:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Do you know for a fact it is an M-22? The only sure way is to remove the side cover and look at the gears. The M-22 has straighter cut gears than all the rest. This makes them louder and the moniker 'rock crusher'. They also shift easier without using the clutch. The cases are all exactly alike except for the 7/8" and 1" countershafts

Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start again??

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 4:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

I think the "C" in the stamp means M22. A was M20 B was M21 and C M22. does the trans case have a "drain" plug and a "fill" plug
71350SS and Saltherring like this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 6:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
I think the "C" in the stamp means M22. A was M20 B was M21 and C M22. does the trans case have a "drain" plug and a "fill" plug

Well, yes, that is correct------------------------for 69-later Muncies. The A-B-C after the date code did not begin until about Oct 68 for 69-later Muncies.
Beginning with the 66 M22, ALL M22 Muncies had a drain plug and M20 and M21 did not have a drain plug. BUUUUUUUUUUT, people, such as me, who rebuild 4spds frequently install a drain plug. I install a magnetic drain plug (and remove the donut magnet in the bottom of the case) in all M20 and M21 Muncies that I rebuild. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, A drain plug in a Muncie case is NOT NECESSARILY an indicator of it being an M22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0423.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	627660   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0424.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	627662   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3266.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	627664  
Steve R and LeoP like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)

Last edited by DZAUTO; May 22nd, 20 at 6:32 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 6:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

At one time, an M22 had a rather high value. But now, I have some reservations about the value of an M22 for several reasons.
First of all, the M22 is ONLY a close ratio transmission, with a 2.20:1 first gear, thus, it is not idealy compatable with a high geared rearend ratio such as a 3.07, 3.31 and marginally with a 3.55-----------and certainly not with a 2.73!
Next, MANY people who prefer to have a manual tranny in their muscle/performance car, are going with 5-6spds which have a low first gear and an overdrive 5th-6th gear. I think Muncies (or other 4spds) are beginning to take a back seat to the newer 5-6spds.

And last, as mentioned, the M22 was ONLY a close ratio, no such thing as a wide ratio M22. But now, there are various gear ratio combinations available to convert any Muncie to a gear set that is more compatible with a high gear ratio rearend, such as an M22W gear set------------------which is the way I'm going with all my Muncies as time and funds permit. Right now in the 70 conv, I have an EXCELLENT rear for hiway driving, 2.73 12bolt posi. I recently pulled the M20 out and replaced it with a built M22W. NO, it is not a rocket from a stop, but once moving 5-10mph, it's great!!! And 4th gear with the 2.73 rear on the Interstate is just right.

Thus, with all of the above said, I'm on the fence about the value of an M22 today. If it will bring a good price----------------jump on it!

Right now, I have a fresh rebuilt M22W in the cabinet, with the roller bearing 1st gear conversion, that someone might be interested in.
Steve R, 71350SS, 540 Olds and 1 others like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 6:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

when's the last time you've seen a good m22 for less than 2k?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 6:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I paid 1250 for mine a few years ago.

If you look on Ebay sold there are a few that sold for less than 2k.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 7:25 PM
Team Member
Bob

Send a message via AIM to 540 Olds

Once you are SURE it's an M-22, and it shifts/runs properly, 1500-2K seems to be the range, BUT, only way to tell is to pull side cover. I have nice one in my '67 more-door; fun to drive, but like DZAUTO said, has it limits with my 3:36 rear and no OD....but sounds neat in 1-2-3 gears.!!!!! What else matters??
KCMO454 and Saltherring like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I've seen some for less than $2K...don't know if they were any good or not. Most likely not.

First Posted to TC as Ole Birkland in Feb 1999
Aces 3383
1969 Chevelle SS396, L78, M22, KK 4.10 posi, F41, Blue Light Stereo, Tilt Column, Burgundy/Maroon w/Red Stripe, Black Bench Seat, PS,
PDB, American Torque Thrust & BFG TA's, fully restored.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 1:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
I've seen some for less than $2K...don't know if they were any good or not. Most likely not.
I have seen a LOT for under $2k... Typically $1500-$1800 range...

But the problem is, unless you are an expert like Tom, its hard to tell if it is "any good" by just looking... Lots of beautiful looking assemblies out there, but who-knows-who assembled them, if they knew what they were doing or if there are still issues (worn case, etc).

I always pull the cover to check the teeth, and verify the angle of the gears...

IMO, unless you are looking for a date code, "C" code or just have to say you have an M22, they aren't worth that much anymore... If you just want a nice Muncie, get the new AG versions; stout NEW case, new gears with choice of ratios, known NEW parts,likely some sort of warrantee, and all about the same price as those $2k M22s you find at swap meets or the local Craigslist, etc...
David Bates, blm and Saltherring like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 2:15 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I have seen a LOT for under $2k... Typically $1500-$1800 range...

But the problem is, unless you are an expert like Tom, its hard to tell if it is "any good" by just looking... Lots of beautiful looking assemblies out there, but who-knows-who assembled them, if they knew what they were doing or if there are still issues (worn case, etc).

I always pull the cover to check the teeth, and verify the angle of the gears...

IMO, unless you are looking for a date code, "C" code or just have to say you have an M22, they aren't worth that much anymore... If you just want a nice Muncie, get the new AG versions; stout NEW case, new gears with choice of ratios, known NEW parts,likely some sort of warrantee, and all about the same price as those $2k M22s you find at swap meets or the local Craigslist, etc...
I always assume anyone that says they have an M22 is just throwing it out in an attempt to impress whoever they are talking to. There is no way for the listener to tell and sometimes it seems as if every car has one. It’s one of those things where you just nod and say “that’s great” to make the person you are listening to feel good about their car.

Steve R
1966_L78, David Bates and 540 Olds like this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 2:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I looked at a few some local to me for $800 and up from there but truth be told I would get a M23Z if I was to buy a 4 speed to race or for a hot street car as it is new and stronger then the m22.
blm likes this.

78 Malibu, 402, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 27X10.5-15 hoosiers quick time Dot pro.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 3:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

For me if the price of an M22 is anywhere near $2000 than I'm moving on and then kicking in the rest of the cash towards a 5 speed,especially since what Tom (DZAUTO) said about M22's being a close ratio trans only.
Steve R and blm like this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 4:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wagner View Post
inherited racecar with this transmission. car was raced in early 70's and garage kept since. Muncie M22.....3925661...Ser. P0E14C ...Aluminum case 4 speed. took car around local oval and tranny works great . Parting car out. Question what do I have and what's it worth. Al [email protected] Port Colborne ,Ontario .......Canada.
Al,why are you parting the car out now,how bad is what's left of it ? Especially since it's got an M22 which may or maynot be an original part.On a Canada car, a picture of the trim tag may show what options the car was equipped with when it was built.Plus if it was sold new in Canada then information about the car should be available from Canadian Historic Vehicles association.
Some information provided in a question on the "Tag Team" forum may lead you to sell the car whole to keep another one out of the scrap iron loop. JMHO

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in