Team Chevelle banner

1966 Chevelle

3K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  gcs67ss 
#1 ·
Gentlemen, this vehicle is currently active on craigslist in Kingsport, TN location. I'm interested primarily for its originality. Seller has a copy of the original Dealership invoice out of Lenior City, TN.
Jim White Chevrolet...long out of business. So upside it has NOT been in rust belt or so it would appear via pics.
Some of things it was ordered with: Special suspension package
Front and rear bumper guards
comfortilt steering wheel
tinted W/S
4 spd. trans
vinyl roof cover blk (missing)
275 HP V8 engine
12 bolt
Not sure how to post the direct link but if you would take a moment and look at the car and please express your opinions, advice, comments...etc. Thank you

Seller sent me additional pics via phone. Zero undercoating....bottom of rockers appear dry and pinch welds sat.

Not crazy about the MC single line for this year...but not a show stopper.

See less See more
#6 ·
The seller is asking a reasonable price IMO, but there is always room for negotiation. A nice looking car, and I would definitely not bother with reinstalling the vinyl roof. Good luck.

#11 ·
Just a couple questions about the invoice.
What is the item that is $491.00? Can’t read the listing.
At $3,900.00 it seems very expensive. My 69 was $500.00 cheaper and is an original SS that is similarly equipped.
You say it is a copy of the invoice. If he has a copy he must have had the original at some point. Where is that document?

#12 ·
Car looks sound from the pictures. You know the car has been modified and repainted, and the owner decided to change up a few things. Here's what I noticed.

- vinyl top no longer there
- rear speaker appears to be gone, which could mean maybe the interior was reconditioned too.
- door panels are missing their medallions, which is how some replacement panels come (the originals are really, really glued on and would leave evidence if they "fell" off)
- no factory stickers inside of trunk lid. PO could have removed just 'cause, or the trunk lid is a replacement lid. At least it looks like the inside of the lid has been repainted.
- SS hood installed in place of factory Malibu hood
- disc brakes installed, which were not available in '66
- single master cylinder is how all '66's came, but that can be converted over to dual master cylinder
- I don't see the 12 bolt listed on the invoice, but I'm also not familiar as to how it would be shown on an invoice...

None of these things are show stoppers in my opinion, but you as a buyer decide if you are ok with these things that deviate from its originality.
Personally I think its a cool car. Should make a very cool cruiser as is

#13 ·
I don't see bucket seats on the invoice so that may have been changed. I think the owner is asking every bit of what it's worth or maybe slightly higher and will negotiate down to it's true value. I'd check to see if the color is original and decode the numbers to see how original it is. Did you see also that the buyer traded a 55 chevy for it?

#14 ·
They didn`t stamped the partial vin for 327 CI engines in 66 on the engine pad. So, you cant say "# matching" it would be "date correct".

You should be able to tell from the dates on the trim tag and the date stamped on the pad.If they are close chances are it`s the born with engine.
My 327 doesnt have the vin stamped on the engine but,all the dates line up.
But, the trans is stamped with the partial vin.

#15 ·
Good observations fellows. I was thinking 25K all in....thoughts or comments.
Btw, what was the special suspension equipment she paid for?
Yes, decoding a couple of things...factory paint code for one.

Why would you pay extra for bumper guards?

They only gave 400.00 dols for her '55 boy those were the days.

Well she financed the note and they socked it to her with insurance, etc.

#19 ·
Bumper guards would have been a option. Also I don't see a second stalk for the comfort tilt wheel. Price wise if you look on Ebay for what the car is I don't think it's bad but I would throw him a price of $25k to start with.

#16 ·
Special suspension was, I believe called F 41. Included heavier shocks, springs, heavier front sway bar and maybe a rear sway bar. It was a performance bargain at $35 or so, especially useful in mountains.

Bumper guards were popular, somewhat of a custom look.

My first car, 57 BelAir $800 in ‘66.
63 Impala SS Convertible $1000 ? in ‘68. 327/300

#17 ·
I'm interested primarily for its originality. t[“/QUOTE]

It’s a nice looking 66 but not what I would consider original. It has plenty of modifications.

Why would you pay extra for bumper guards?
Bumper guards were an option along with many other items. One of the less popular options and I don’t care for them personally. They were originally on my Chevelle and when I had my bumpers redone I chose to eliminate them.

Reactions: LKN BCK
#25 ·
How do we know its an Atlanta built car? How do you guys have the ability to pull in so tight and still have clarity. Amazing.

Also, if its the 327 it came with more than likely its been reworked at some point and punched out .030 or .060 over.

It does have a 12 bolt under it seller provided a pic, but I'm not sure if its an open diff or posi.

Question, would a 327 equipped car roll off the line with a 12 bolt or strictly used when the call came for the bigger 396?

#30 ·
car 1296 thats a real early build.mines 4822 and built 3rd week of sept.my 66ss had a price of 2957.37
breakdown of options
p.s. 84.30
p.b.42.15
p.g.194.85
posi-trac axle 36.90
spcl susp eq 4.75
pb radio 57.40
center console 47.40
sim wire wheel covers 73.75
deluxe belts10.55
hazard warn sw 11.60
spec instruments79.00
astro buckets 110.60
rear antenna 9.50
rear speaker 13.20
rear wind defrost 21.10
vinyl roof black 73.75
tint glass 30.55
battery 7.40

#34 ·
Very, very possible. But in that article during production '65 - '66 there apparently was assembly issues with the driveline plant either by mistake or ordered some got 10 some got 12. Who will ever know. I will try to observe closely if things look undisturbed or not to the best of my ability. You see I'm not the first person to leap and then have big time remorse.

#39 ·
The vin won't give you the engine info. You'll will have to locate the engine ID number on the block itself. On small blocks, the number should be stamped on the front of the block itself, adjacent to the cylinder heads on the passenger side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.