Yet another fake LS6 - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 5:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Yet another fake LS6

About this car, I have a feeling it is an original LS6 car.

However, the re-stamped block could be a coverup for not having the original block-and it should be viewed-and priced as not having the original block.

The "build sheet" is an obvious fake and should be dismissed.

What we don't see in the photos are the fuel lines or the steering shaft-but of course these can also be swapped in.

Aside from the questions around the rear end, everything else appears to be "correct" for a LS6 car.

Without an actual build sheet and original stamped block, the car is not valued at "collector" or "investment" levels.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sean

A ton of misguided information here. The proof is in the pudding per say. As a purist and collector this my take on any car I have purchased. Very easy to judge a car by photos and make the notorious claim its "FAKE"

I have ended up with several "significant cars" that I thought were fake. If I am interested I go and investigate or hire a few people I know. This takes any questions about the car and puts them to rest. I have saved several hundreds of thousands by this. To say a car is does not have "Collector Value" because it may not have the original motor or build sheet I fully disagree. Many forget these cars are 50 plus years old, had the snot beat out of them, drag raced, street raced you name it. How many significant cars are bought with neither? PLENTY. How many have the original motors? Small %
Freddy Mercado likes this.
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 2:25 PM
Tech Team

My take would be that this car may well be 100% legitimate, and even if it isn't it's a damn nice car, but you have to question anybody that would have obvious fake or incorrect documentation produced to try to inflate or reinforce the value of the car. The "fake" build sheet has a U14 dash listed, which this car certainly doesn't have, so you have to ask yourself why would somebody try to lie about that, and what else might they have lied about? At the VERY LEAST, they should have offered an explanation why certain key features don't match up and why. I remember early on in my working career being told that if somebody will lie about little things, they probably lie about big things too, so I have to wonder what else about this car might be fake. I wouldn't tell anybody NOT to buy it, hell, I'd like to have it myself, but nobody wants to pay a price based on a lie. I understand it only takes one guy who didn't do his homework to make the owner look like a genius, but you have to wonder if trying to oversell this car the owner will end up costing himself more than if he had left the car alone or not bothered to hype it with questionable paperwork.

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Mr. 4 Speed's post about the transmission verifying the car as a real LS6 has convinced me the car is legit. Too bad about the fake build sheet - a very poor decision on someone's part, along with the re-stamped block. Why not just let the car speak for itself?
mr 4 speed and Freddy Mercado like this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 2:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Here is a real deal documented LS6 optioned SS454 that is NOT matching numbers. No stamp on the pad but everything date code correct. Real buildsheet too. Has its original CY code TH400 and CRV 3.31 posi.Very nice car.Pricing more in line with reality, IMHO and experience.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevro...93b2%7Ciid%3A1

post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 5:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

This is a much nicer car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Here is a real deal documented LS6 optioned SS454 that is NOT matching numbers. No stamp on the pad but everything date code correct. Real buildsheet too. Has its original CY code TH400 and CRV 3.31 posi.Very nice car.Pricing more in line with reality, IMHO and experience.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevro...93b2%7Ciid%3A1

_
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 7:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 7:57 PM
Tech Team

Double build sheet is pretty cool.
Rarely see that.
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 8:07 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
I believe he builds tribute cars. I could be wrong.
I think he is the guy I emailed to ask one day how he does his cars.
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 GMuscle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
I believe he builds tribute cars. I could be wrong.
I think he is the guy I emailed to ask one day how he does his cars.
Gotcha !
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Garage

Looks like one of Reelysalty's - uses the same rotisserie pic of the underside....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevro...p2047675.l2557
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 4:40 PM

Thank you members for the above education ! Fifty one years ago (when I helped build 69 SS396s to pay for school= Broening Hwy plant) I remember they came with resonators just before the exhaust tips. Please help me refresh the memory: Bucket seats only on the SS396, M21 or M22 4 speed for manual trans, chrome valve covers AND wire mesh over pleated paper AC Delco filter element.
The line seemed to slow down when they were ready to start one up on the shake table. We knew it didn't but we all wanted to hear the tuned "bubbling spring" type sound they made ! This is a little off main thread, but I have original SS HP mufflers, intake and exhaust pipes but not original resonators (same short length though). Any ideas on replicating the ORIGINAL TUNED "Bubbling" type exhaust sound ? Have original 850 Holley DP (sorry I forgot) THANKS ! Derfly-Rick
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 5:35 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS396 50Fleetline View Post
Thank you members for the above education ! Fifty one years ago (when I helped build 69 SS396s to pay for school= Broening Hwy plant) I remember they came with resonators just before the exhaust tips. Please help me refresh the memory: Bucket seats only on the SS396, M21 or M22 4 speed for manual trans, chrome valve covers AND wire mesh over pleated paper AC Delco filter element.
The line seemed to slow down when they were ready to start one up on the shake table. We knew it didn't but we all wanted to hear the tuned "bubbling spring" type sound they made ! This is a little off main thread, but I have original SS HP mufflers, intake and exhaust pipes but not original resonators (same short length though). Any ideas on replicating the ORIGINAL TUNED "Bubbling" type exhaust sound ? Have original 850 Holley DP (sorry I forgot) THANKS ! Derfly-Rick
The SS396 optioned Malibu sport coupe/convertible/sedan pickup came with a bench seat; bucket seats were optional whether or not the SS396 option was ordered. The SS396 optioned 300 Deluxe coupe/sport coupe came with standard 300 Deluxe bench seat - buckets not an option with them.

Four speeds were M20 and M21 for most SS396 Chevelles with the M22 still another option although I'd strongly suspect the vast majority of the 1,276 M22s were ordered mainly behind the L78 (9,486).

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in