Team Chevelle banner

Bullitt Mustang to go across block on Friday

6K views 97 replies 39 participants last post by  novass 
#1 ·
I read the Bullet Mustang (the unrestored one) will be going across the block at Mecum this Friday.

Thoughts about how much it will bring?

The car was extensively toured last year including a month long stint at the huge local Car museum here in Tacoma- I'm sure many wealthy collectors got a chance to check it out along the way... wonder where it will wind up.

#4 ·
I think that part (not the part where they wouldn't sell it back to him though) is such a cool part of the story... even though in '78 when he sent that letter it was just an 11 year old car and he was rich and could have had any other car he wanted- he knew this ONE was something special to him and he wanted to get it back.

Just like so many of us hunting down our long lost cars we regret letting slip away.

#3 ·
If not for its history I'd say 10-12K. But...
I've read that it may be the most expensive Mustang ever to cross the block.
Some saying seven figures.

#9 ·
I, for one, am glad the owner didnt sell it to a car collector as part of a "portfolio" and drove the car as it was intended. Money ruins more scheiss than it makes better. Line 'em up.

Hot Rod or Hemmings MCR had an article on this recently.

#16 ·
This is a good point-
It could have just been sold at any point into a private collection to never be seen again.... I'm sure he had ridiculously large offers laid on his door before.

Instead it was made available to everyone to see via Jay Leno's show, the 2019 Bullet mustang rollout, and the various museums it was displayed at this past year.

Almost like he was making sure that people got to see it, in case it does go back behind closed doors again after the sale.

I can't blame him in the slightest for wanting to sell it at this point...

#21 ·
Folks, if my dad left me that car, and it wasn't MY story, darn tooting right I'd let 'er go. First Chevelle I'd buy is ChevlleStuff's Snow White, and then build a 64 Elky drag car , and then bank the rest of the 2.75million. I hope he gets 3MM or more after fees!

#25 ·
To my generation, this is a true iconic car, with modifications not much different from what any ‘60’s hot rodder would make.

It’s a shame neither one of the ‘68 Chargers that the bad guys drove survived. The Mustang and the acharger would make for a out of this world pair, sold together.

#27 ·
I look at the car and just see a old Mustang that's not in real great shape. For me it's hard to see anyone spending that kind of money on it even though it's something special. I look at it this way say the new owner actually drove the car and someone said nice old Mustang and he replied yeah it's Steve Mcqueen's car from the movie and he said I paid $3.5 million on it. I would say you have to be crazy. I guess if you have money to burn go for it.

#31 ·
A lot of private collectors will be satisfied with the restored stunt car shell with most of its parts replaced, but the big museums and Ford Motor Company will only want the unrestored hero car.

This car coming out of hiding dropped the potential value of the stunt car tremendously. The stunt car being found didn't effect the value of this one at all. This is clearly the better car, and is worth I'd guess about 5X what the stunt car will be worth. They are in totally different markets as for who can afford them, and this one casts a big shadow over the other.

#34 ·
Henry Ford Museum isn't owned by FoMoCo, but they do a lot to support it, as does the Ford family.

#39 ·
Millions, not seeing it

Agree with the "what movie" remark.....ran into a restraurant mgr had no idea who "Uncle Sam" was.
That guy better sell now

Think it would be cool to drive it around town, who would know? Just an old mustang

edit: if it were me and I didnt need all the $ id sell it to McQueen that ought to belong to him

#45 ·
#48 ·
I think the wrecked Jump car that is being restored (rebuilt since it was really just an empty shell when found) will have a much Higher value now that this one has been sold... But I would say it will be significantly less than this ones value.

Doubtful its presence (the jump car) had any impact at all on the sale price of this one though. Just my $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.