1969 Chevelle 375 hp numbers matching - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 6:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1969 Chevelle 375 hp numbers matching

I would like everyone's opinions on what's wrong and right and a fair price on this 69 chevelle. Its advertised as numbers matching. Assuming that is all correct what is a fair price?

Thanks, Kevin

https://www.billkaychevrolet.com/aut...e-il/35831640/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 10:06 PM
Tech Team

I go past that place every couple days on the way to a jobsite. That thing sat outside almost all summer. Let me know if you need some more info or better pics.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 8:01 AM
Tech Team

Re: 1969 Chevelle 375 hp numbers matching

For the price advertised, one would expect that it would include tank sticker, build sheet, protectoplate, etc.

Although the pics are not very clear, it appears to have some resto work done on it. Just a couple of things that I noticed but due to pic quality may not be an issue: wrong forward signal lights, missing radio antenna, missing body stripes (assuming that it came with stripes from the factory).

Without the things addressed above (and there may be others), the advertised price seems to be a bit out of range.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 9:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

That's amazing. My buddy has that car. 375 horse 396, 4 speed, bench seat, green, no vinyl top or am fm.. It has 17,000 miles on it, he bought it new. Its worth about 75... His has the special exhaust system. It sounds nice so long as you keep the resonators connected..
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 9:30 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGChevelle View Post
I would like everyone's opinions on what's wrong and right and a fair price on this 69 chevelle. Its advertised as numbers matching. Assuming that is all correct what is a fair price?

Thanks, Kevin

https://www.billkaychevrolet.com/aut...e-il/35831640/
If the car is complete and correct the price is fair. However, there are too many signs that all is not what it should be. Thereís enough signs that would take it from a fair value to unfair in the details. Without a thorough examination by a qualified expert, you are at risk for overpaying. The distinguishing value is in whether itís a true L78 with its stock components. Otherwise itís a nice clone without desirable options which leaves it about one half the asking price.

In my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech Team

Love the medium green bench seat interior.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 1:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

still p.o.ed about the last WIW `69 "ss" ragtop, not bytein' on this one.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 1:52 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
still p.o.ed about the last WIW `69 "ss" ragtop, not bytein' on this one.
Bruce: The OP is an established member....and is likely the buyer.

Someone should buy this car so my Frost Green '69 can show it my tail lights.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 8:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Okay, Tony, you're right.

Kevin:
The White Letter Tires are on backwards ("officially" you'll need to have them dismounted and rebalanced. You may not really want to do so, but you will want to tell the seller about the cost to you to correct the issue, and get a corresponding reduction in price).
It has Headers -- Date Code Correct Exhaust Manifolds will be expensive and difficult to locate (whether or not you want headers is up to you, but same as above).
The AIR System is missing (same as above).
Spark Plug Wires and wiring methodology is wrong.
WSW Pump outlet is wrong (should be off white plastic outlets).
The Upper Radiator Hose is wrong (some may argue that the top radiator hose should be the Heavy Duty piece used with A/C. This one has the wrong markings.
The Coil should be black in color.
The Carburetor does not have the correct divorced Choke mechanism. Perhaps the Carb is incorrect.
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I don't believe that's a Winters "163" Intake Manifold. Wrong Carb and Wrong Intake are a big deal.
There's a metal tube running from by the Heater to the rear of the Carb -- I have no idea what that's supposed to be (I suspect it's for a manual choke) -- it's not right plus you'll have an extra hole in your firewall.
The Valve on the Power Brake Booster should be off white.
The Cigar Lighter is wrong (it doesn't match the other, correct radio knobs).
There's an extra knob mounted on the Dash below the Cigar Lighter. That knob is totally wrong (the extra knob may be for a pull choke, and if it is that's an expensive wrong -- you'll have to have the Plastic Dash replaced. That is one big job at about 10 to 14 hours shop time: $100.00 an hour).
That Hurst Floor Shifter is not the correct shifter and that wood knob is wrong.
The door latch posts have been painted over. It concerns me that the painter didn't even bother to remove the posts. RED FLAG ref: body work/paint quality!
OMG! The Clock Knob is missing!
The passenger side rear door panel needs some repair.
The paint on the Glove Box Door doesn't match the rest of the dash or vice versa.
The Steering Wheel is cracked and will need to be repaired.
The "chrome" paint on the Steering Wheel Center is all rubbed off. Repaint/replace.
The Tail Pipes hang down too low and the Chrome Exhaust Tips are wrong.

It's a nice color, but I'm not partial to Vinyl Tops.

On a positive note: the Parking Brake rubber pad appears to be original/correct.

In my honest option they're trying to sell a 30K to 35K car for way more than it's worth -- this assessment being based on their presentation/photos. Maybe it does have matching numbers, however I'd have to see some documentation of the car being a Factory SS396. Whereas, an actual number matching engine works for me for documentation, what about the numbers on the tranny, the rear axel, Alternator? Intake? Water Pump? Distributor? etc. ALL THESE THINGS and more make a car "Number Matching" and thereby command the high bucks.

This one doesn't.
Bruce

Our You Tube Vids:

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

There's a manual choke knob in the dash.

Edit- Sorry, Bruce. I missed that you already pointed that out.

Anyhow, I absolutely love the color combo. If it didn't have the vinyl top I'd love it even more.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt

Last edited by Tommy the Cat; Dec 6th, 19 at 9:23 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 9:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you Bruce that is what I needed on this. I'm on the youngbendnof ownership on these cars and do not know all the details that make them correct. I can figure some stuff on them but not most of the details you listed. Thanks again.

With what Bruce pointed out what would be a fair price on this car if it does have a numbers matching 375hp motor.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 10:20 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

First thing to consider is the car is represented by a dealer. So in most cases that means the car is overpriced. Just think what their mark up is.
Guess it depends if someone is looking for a correct example or are happy with a day two example. Personally I lean towards day two. The car is an odd mix of correct and day two. Such as tower clamps on the hoses but headers are used. The battery sticks out like a sore thumb. Should have put a topper
on a different battery.
Personal inspection is mandatory. If car can be had at maybe $40k and all other claims can be verified then closer to a solid deal. Thing is if offered by a private seller that is more a possibility. Ultimately this car was offered by a private seller as the dealers obtain their inventory from private sellers somewhere along the chain.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 2:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Like Brad said: IF.

You'd have to crawl all over that car writing down the ConVINs, Casting Numbers, Date Codes, etc. Then post them here.

A short cut is to ask the seller what printed Documentation they have that the car is a FACTORY SS396. Also ask for a clear picture of the Cowl Data Tag. The car was built at the BALtimore Final Assembly Plant and should have the infamous "L" Code on the Tag. If there's no L, then pass on the car.

In reviewing "asking prices" on eBay and Cars-On-Line I see that I'm going to have to raise the "Agreed Upon Value" on the 'Bu!

Therefore IF it checks out Docs and Numbers-wise I guess 40K is doable.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 12:15 PM
Tech Team
Dave

I test drove this car, last spring, and looked it over pretty well. It needs a lot of TLC, definitely not a stock cam, but a clean body underneath.
I think the engine stamps were questionable, but I no expert. This is the dealer that also had the Silver 1970 Chevelle L 78, that was a complete counterfeit. Beware
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 2:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
Love the medium green bench seat interior.
the first seat photo shown up in white

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in