1969 opinions - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 6:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1969 opinions

okay gonna try this again in the correct spot i have a 1969 Chevelle ss convertible would like to know what it might be worth and how rare it might be

info
the original motor blew up with rod knock 6 months after purchase so It has a ce 396 motor in it now with I ripped apart its a 4 bolt dimple rods 375hp piston motor all stock bore just new rings and bearinings the original m22 blue up in 76 which owner tokk it to local tranz shop and the replaced it with a 1970 m22 tag on it indicates it came from a ls6454 . has original 331 12 bolt posi but gears have been changed to 373 .
car has all original metal except l/f fender which is a nos part
options
tilt column floor shift 4speed , power windows , power seats ,
power vacuum locks , vacuum trunk release , trunk light
power top , glass back window , rear defogger , am/fm with 8 track player oem, speed minder , tack and gauges , cruiz control , power seat release , f41 package , soft ray glass, map light , fiber optic ash tray light, and ac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353 (2).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	609810  
von, 71350SS and hydro462 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: 1969 opinions

The biggest determiner of value (on a '69, '70; and 71) is Documentation. In other words: proof. How does a potential buyer know the Chevelle is a real Factory SS396 and not a clone? What documentation do you have which prove its status? Without docs you have a clone -- worth half the value of a Documented Factory SS396.

Lacking docs, How far back can you trace former owners?

BTW: Only a little over 700 Chevelles came Factory equipped with the F41 Option -- how do you prove this one is one of them?

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:58 PM
Team Member
Dave

No factory cruise on a 4 speed in '69.
David Bates and 71350SS like this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 11:07 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

My guess;
Sounds like maybe 60K IF in good condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
My guess;
It does not appear to be "in good condition" since, based on the photo, it needs paint. Are you willing to spend 60K on a clone that needs paint?

I'm guessing that the car, Factory SS396 or not, didn't come from the factory with all those options (like Dave pointed out, no factory cruise on a 4 speed in '69). In my opinion, it's far from "original," and I need proof it's a Factory SS396. I'm not paying 60K for a clone.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:23 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
It does not appear to be "in good condition" since, based on the photo, it needs paint. Are you willing to spend 60K on a clone that needs paint?

I'm guessing that the car, Factory SS396 or not, didn't come from the factory with all those options (like Dave pointed out, no factory cruise on a 4 speed in '69). In my opinion, it's far from "original," and I need proof it's a Factory SS396. I'm not paying 60K for a clone.
^ this

'69 Malibu
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Interesting car. Today's market is a little fickle. As Bruce mentioned, it would take proof of some kind to establish any accurate assessment. Then comes the options, great list of rpos but the AC and the L78 couldn't be ordered together, so 1 must be incorrect. Then there's the CC, which was never available as an RPO, possibly dealer installed??
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 8:11 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
My guess;
As currently pictured and described, I don't think this car is worth 20K.

I see a beat up, cobbled together, lame attempt at cloning a 1969 SS.

Show me some provenance and pictures of anything in good condition and I'll change my tune. Possibly by a lot.

Sometimes, I get this impression that posts by new members in FWIW are really a searching/learning attempt in how to clone a SS.

In other words, "....tell me what is clearly and undeniably wrong so I can change it before I try to sell it."

Granted, the OP could totally be on the Up and Up and my comments unwarranted.

But I've seen enough of "the dog ate my homework" type of history on cars that I'm frequently skeptical.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 8:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Not a chance it's worth $60k. If it was a number 2 car, real L78 and had docs, original block and was undisputed, it'd climb as high as $80k....possibly. Add those options without a build sheet to prove they were factory installed and you may add another $5k. Basing this on 1 pic of an unfinished '69 with no docs evident and assuming it's a Malibu with SS badges, non original 396 and add on options with unknown condition....$20k. So, somewhere in between. And I have to add, all these numbers are entirely up to debate. I'll have to also add, real world sales are normally lower than predictions.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 8:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Sometimes, I get this impression that posts by new members in FWIW are really a searching/learning attempt in how to clone a SS. In other words, "....tell me what is clearly and undeniably wrong so I can change it before I try to sell it."
YES!

Our You Tube Vids:

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 9:09 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

How about a nice close up picture the trim tag.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 9:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

What are the odds that the OP ever comes back?

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 9:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
What are the odds that the OP ever comes back?
He asked.
In the real world, someone needing help with an area they're unsure of, would be best served taking all opinions. It would be a disservice to dance around the elephant. Think of this like "the view" and now we're taking a commercial break.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 9:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I wasn't referencing the abuses hurled at him, and I agree- he asked, I'm referencing that he only has 3 posts and was likely hoping that we all would satisfy some dream of Barrett Jackson glory only to be shot down with honesty and reality.

I personally hate it when reality ruins my dilusional fantasies. Causes me to slink away and never return as well.
Steve R and NickeyChevelle like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 10:49 PM
Tech Team

Garage

If it's a pretty solid car with very little rust and no documentations 12-15k the way it sits. Under hood and trim tag pictures would possibly help your SS case

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in