Team Chevelle banner

1971 Chevelle SS vert on BAT

8K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  72soft-top 
#1 ·
Curious to see how this concours restoration `1971 SS Convertible' will do on BAT this week.
see link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-chevrolet-chevelle-malibu-12/

Owner has been a loyal `Team Chevelle' member and forever grateful for all the help and expertise found here. If you haven't guessed its my car and there's a very aggressively low reserve.

Auction ends Dec 2cd / this Monday afternoon please feel free to comment on & share BAT link with potential buyers.

Please post your speculation on final bid price and what you think its worth?

#2 ·
Chevelles owe their main claim to fame by having a“Muscle Car” pedigree. That usually means a high HP small Block or some type of big block.

This car would be great to take to car shows, or cruise in, but the value just is not up there with the cars with desirable pedigrees.

I have no idea what is correct, or is not correct on the car. But based on what I said, $35,000.

#3 ·
Nice looking car. I have to agree that not having more features (big block, 4 speed, air conditioning) and maybe the change of factory built colors may hurt the value. If the restoration is still fresh, I’d estimate upper 30s to low 40s. GLW the auction

#4 ·
I agree with what Brian said. The three biggest things this car has going for it and IMO in this order are.
1. It's a convertible
2. It's An SS
3. It has paperwork

Don't think this car can hit $40k. Especially this time of year. It mentions more than once the engine is numbers matching. Usually not important on a small block but because this car is an SS I do feel it is worth mentioning. However the fact that it is a 350 and the auto on the column are this cars achilles heel.
If I bought it I would change to a big block and a manual trans thereby ruining its pedigree. Don't think I would have advertised the color change. Not that I would hide the color change but goes against numbers matching and paperwork.

#9 ·
$ 35,500.00 does not make reserve. The owner is looking for north of 50k. This car needs an in-person inspection. (paint, gaps, etc).

#10 ·
That is good information to know.

Our 70 Conv is not an SS, but has had many SS features added to it.
It is solid, has excellent paint and EVERYTHING works!
Healthy SB400 with early Z28 intake and Q-jet
FULL FUNCTIONING Cowl Induction hood
M22W with Hurst shifter and replica M U N C I E handle
2.72 12bolt posi with all new bearings, clutches and new axles
HD front sway bar and boxed rear trailing arms and sway bar
15x8 Corvette Ralley wheels with small 67 style center caps
Pwr steering
Full size spare tire with ORIGINAL jack
Pwr drum brakes with big Buick finned alum front drums---stops great
Excellent top with new cylinders
Excellent interior with factory buckets and I added a console (car was ordered with buckets but no console)
Chevelle AM-FM stereo radio
Tilt-cruise, 78 Z28 steering wheel with imitation wrapping
1950 Chevy 6VOLT horns--------translate, LOUD
Hide away windshield wipers
Map light interior mirror
Remote outside mirror---TIGHT right mirror
Light group (under hood, glove box, trunk)
Elec trunk release with correct green button in glove box
New bumpers
And best of all, cold ORIGINAL FACTORY R12 air cond which was totally rebuilt by Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL

It is as clean and straight a driver as anyone could ask for.
The car is NOT, repeat, NOT for sale. But, if it was, I would not talk to anyone for less than $35K.
I'm simply listing what the car is and what it has for people to compare.

Attachments

Reactions: Jack454 and LeoP
#11 ·
As pointed out in another post, cruise WAS NOT available with a 4sp. But, our 70 has "factory" cruise control with all factory Chevrolet parts. It took the Japanese car makers to demonstrate to the American car industry that a car with a manual tranny certainly could have cruise control!!!!!!!!!!!
I took my cue from them. My wife and I scoured salvage yards pulling off many cruise components until we had more than enough to install a correct factory style cruise control system on the 4sp convertible----------------including the push button on the turn signal handle. Works just as if it left the Baltimore assembly plant with it!

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys, unfortunately my car did not sell. However its still available, i'll be relisting it on Team Chevelle. Interested in all serious offers.

Attachments

#15 ·
It only takes one buyer to prove me wrong....but I don't see much over 35K here.

Or some other number between the 35.5K BAT bid and the 40K mentioned above.

Seeing it in person or better pictures could change my mind a decent bit, but I'd be shocked with anything over 40K.

On a different note, one of the quirks of this hobby is that whoever pays or performs a restoration often takes the financial beating when the car gets sold.

#16 ·
Timing pays a part in this too. Lots of guys are putting there rides away for Winter. Selling a high dollar collector car in the Spring may be better for a convertible

Reactions: b&b's69 and SS4Real
#17 ·
The term "concours restoration" gets thrown around a lot. Some restorations are more "concours" than others.

This is a very nice car. But, it was probably not a good candidate for an expensive restoration, IMHO....unless this was your dream car and you don't care about resale value.

How much will someone pay for a color change, very mild small block, 2.73 rear gears, column shift auto trans, and an aftermarket interior.....even with the nice paint and soft top?

A true, high quality, low mileage, unmolested survivor '71 Malibu Convertible with nice paint, original sheet metal and interior will be more attractive to a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong: this car would look great in my garage and I'd love to drive/own it.....but the price of entry is way too high for me, personally.

#19 ·
#20 ·
#21 ·
Reactions: Flipper
#27 ·
Bidding on eBay appears to have ended at around 38K. When you add in the commissions involved, 35K cash should take this car.

The car is extremely nice and clean...but the desirable options are NOT there.

And while the provenance is there to prove SS lineage, the motor and trans are gone and the paint has been changed.

Also, on the eBay listing, I was turned off by the "GM Engineer work on the motor/transmission". What the heck does that mean? Sounds like BS to me. Presumably, someone who used to work at GM did the work....but the presentation of that sounded lame, IMHO.

As I mentioned before, I don't see how this car clears 40K.

#28 ·
And while the provenance is there to prove SS lineage, the motor and trans are gone and the paint has been changed.
Thought in the 1st ad on Bring A Trailer it mentioned more than once that the engine was numbers matching?

Not that is that important other than it should be supported in the paperwork.

#29 ·
The EBay auction just confirms everything stated in the thread. Again, this is a beautiful car with great presentation, but it’s lacking too many highly desired options to get much more than where the eBay auction ended.

Reactions: blue_69_malibu
#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.