Team Chevelle banner

70 ss396

837 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  25C 70 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am looking at a 70 model chevelle that looks to be a ss396 but cannot totally verify as the original drivetrain is gone. The car has been in garage since around 1997. Partially disassembled. Is a little rough at the apex of the rear quarters, I believe because of the vinyl top which has been pulled up there. Tapping on the quarters sounds like all metal. Owner did find build sheet but bugs ate the lower half. I cant get under car but I can see it has a 12 bolt and boxed control arms. Cowl hood is there. Correct style inst. Panel with idiot lights. It's a black interior column shift, bench seat car. Repainted white a long time ago but originally dark gray color. I know the current owner personally. Car was her dad's who died a few months ago. I trust her but she is young and really doesnt know a whole lot about the car. What do you guys think value is? Thanks for looking.

#6 ·
Thanks for the pictures. As it sits right now, the car likely won’t bring in much of an offer. It’s partially disassembled, parts are strewn everywhere and it’s not possible to tell what the main body ickudibg the quarter panels, floors, trunk and the condition of the area around the rear window. The picture of the interior suggests it’s been subject to considerable moisture, that could be a problem.

At some point, someone will need to clean out the car and catalog the parts. If your friends daughter does it she will likely get significantly more money than if the buyer does.

I wish her luck.

Steve R

#7 ·
Looks like there’s additional parts. Dash, steering wheel bezel, etc. interior looks mostly intact. With no engine or trans, I would agree with $5K

#8 ·
Who knows if all the parts are there? Looks like sizeable project and difficult to access the condition from the pics. Hope she hasn't been watching the car auctions on tv. That will put but $$ in her mind. What will she accept for the car?

#9 ·
Honestly guys it’s a bench seat column shift Chevelle. So it is not highly desirable with those options. IMO the 5 k is if the body is solid, if it needs lots of body work then I would start going down from there. Car is almost considered a basket case...

#10 ·
Theres some small holes around back glass surround. Other than that car appears solid. Hard to make good assessment with all the stuff around and on it. Garage is damp but not wet. Car came out of N.C. back in the 90s. Been in WV in this garage since. No original drivetrain really bothers me. Without a good build sheet seems to me its just another Malibu in need of a lot of attention. I have worse projects and am not worried about doing any of the work but dont want to give too much for it.

Attachments

#11 ·
The vin was on the upper right corner.....it's gone. I think that's an Atlanta build sheet, you might find more buildsheets in that car in the typical spots.
The body number is in box 8 and that should correspond to the body number on the trim tag under the hood. I can't make it out in the photo, maybe you can.
Box 35 shows DG which is the code for the air cleaner that came on the SS Cowl Induction hood.

I see 1 SS grill, 1 green Malibu grill/non SS and 1 other grill in the mix near the trunk.

The column on an SS and non SS with black interior would have a black column. The picture is too fuzzy to see if that's an original dash, but that dash was available as an option on a non SS malibu or as standard on an SS.

See if the car has a 12 bolt rearend, rear sway bar rear a arm to frame connectors, front disc brakes, boxed rear trailing arms....all would be on an SS.

5 grand as other have said would be about right. Possibly more if the parts were cataloged and in good reusable shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.