Chevelle 1970 SS - with build sheet - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 9:00 PM Thread Starter
meb
Tech Team

Chevelle 1970 SS - with build sheet

Was looking for a second opinion what my Chevelle 1970ss with build sheet matching numbers was worth. I called my classic insurance place and they gave me a reference to an appraiser they use. The guy came out and spent about 2 hours going over the car taking pictures and we went for a ride.

The car IS a bit of an older non-full restoration. I get it.

I was a little disappointed in the appraisal for a couple of reasons. I'll list my thoughts. They use a scale from 1-5; 5 being the best.
  • For originality it got a 2. The car is numbers matching with the build sheet. Mind you, the shocks are bilstein, the starter a high torgue aftermarket and just about everything else is orginal. It does have high energy ignition, but I did show the guy the original dizzy. The drive train numbers were photographed including the block
  • They listed the mileage as "unknown" although I showed the guy the current title and it lists the mileage as "Actual". Anyone from NJ knows thats not easy to get. I had to have the transfer title notorized.
  • They listed the wheels as condition 2; they are MINT
  • They listed the tires as condition 2; they are brand new. Perhaps not being some "oval" reproductions is why they did this?
  • Chrome was listed as 2; I don't see it. Valve covers are a bit rusty, but otherwise all is clean
  • Engine got a 3; It runs like the day it was built
  • Trunk go a 2; the guy never looked at it
  • Body got a 2; paint does have some flaws. Hate to see a 1

So this is a little starter; going to upload a couple of photos.

Any info I can provide to clarify please request. Any thoughts appreciated. Wasn't really looking to sell; was wondering after all there years what it may be worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fist.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	605730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	605732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Third.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	605734  
71350SS likes this.

70 Chevelle SS 396; Manual Trans; build sheet; matching numbers; bench; fathom blue; white pearl interior; 63k documented miles.

65 Chevelle SS 283; Powerglide; Protect-o-Plate; matching numbers; danube blue; two-tone blue interior; 51k documented miles.

TC# 3484
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 9:36 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Re: Chevelle 1970 SS - with build sheet

So what did they say the car was worth as usually the appraisal companies are higher then the going market. Based on pictures and numbers matching and older resto I would say 40-45k

Chris-Phoenix,AZ
1967 Chevelle SS 396- 4 Speed
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
meb
Tech Team

Hey PHX396, I purposely left that information out and I figured there would be a question or two :-)

They said 18k - 22k with the disclaimer......."depends on how the car is marketed"

Didn't mention it in the first post, but I did email the company and asked for their references (like cars of course)

70 Chevelle SS 396; Manual Trans; build sheet; matching numbers; bench; fathom blue; white pearl interior; 63k documented miles.

65 Chevelle SS 283; Powerglide; Protect-o-Plate; matching numbers; danube blue; two-tone blue interior; 51k documented miles.

TC# 3484

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 11:01 AM
Tech Team
Harry

I have an original matching numbers 1970 SS396 restomod, original fathom blue color, original ivory color interior, original cowl hood, original bucket seat car..... Matching number block with this color combo are very desirable. You have a very, very desirable SS396.

I think the guy was an amateur following some dumb formula that did not come out right.

If it needs a new complete restoration - ie. new paint, new interior, engine rebuild, etc..., that will bring the value down substantially..

Unless it is rusted out or something weird like that, I would say the car is worth double of what he estimated.

PS. Matching number SS396 cars are not as plentiful as they should be.... A few decades ago, a lot of people were pulling the 396 and putting in 454 engines. Do not let anyone tell you that your car is not rare, because it is rare.

PSS. Of all the car shows we go to with high dollar restorations, how many muscle cars have their original matching numbers big block ? On those high dollar auctions on TV, they make up terms like - "original, period correct motor", etc.... to compensate the fact that it is not the numbers matching motor.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers

Last edited by hjdca; Oct 18th, 19 at 11:24 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 11:11 AM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

My thought is this so called "appraiser" under valued your car by approximately 50%. Easily a 40K car all day long...

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Ask the appraiser to explain each of the items and their ratings, respectfully. This is a service you pay for, you should review your service contract and explain your position after hearing their responses. Ask them to substantiate their ratings in writing, this is a normal procedure.

After receiving the recommendations from your Insurance provider- "did you go with the cheapest service fee?" Short of an agreed-to value, do you have an idea now why the insurance provider made this referral? What is the insurance value of this car with your provider? (IE: If your car is insured for 50K and this appraiser wrote it for 18-22K, that's a bit of a problem no matter how its "marketed".

Ask your appraiser if he buys and sells classic cars or has affiliation with anyone that does. ......
blm likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

That car would sell in < 1 day at $18-22k, unless it is a total bondo mobile. Heck, if you said I could have it for $18k, I'd be running out of the office like my hair was on fire and driving to Jersey right now! LOL
71350SS and -SS454- like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
meb
Tech Team

Thanks guys, even my wife called the appraisal a worthless piece of paper.

Hjdca, yes, I too have noticed that lack of original cars using ebay as a thermometer. Hey, something is worth only what someone is will to pay for it.

Nope, no rust issues. No bubbles whatsoever. I've owned the car for quite a few years. Maybe 15. Paint is ok with some flaws. Like someones finger print in the back stripe....hey is it dry? LOL. no it wasn't.

Undercarriage is nice; just and older non-off frame. All suspension was torn down, repainted, bushings, bearings etc....while the motor was out. Of course it was treated to hardened valves and new bearings and whatnot (perhaps another dink on the originality?)

Another thing I forgot was I did put new axles and bearings when the originals went bad. Really cheaply made. I put strange's in it. Far superior to the originals. Maybe that's why he dinked the "originality" as well.

Still really don't get the "unknown" miles thing. I'm going to post a partial pic of the title to show you guys. Funny how the title, a legal document, states the mileage of the car as 'A'ctual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Title.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	605766  

TC# 3484
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

I wouldnít be too worried about the numbers they assigned, rather Iíd be unhappy with the price. When I comes to numbers, the highest, is for concourse quality show cars. These are the cars that win at national or large regional shows. Most nice cars fall closer to 3. The appraiser definitely missed the mark when it comes to value, $18,000-$20,000 is laughable. I donít know about $40,000-$45,000, but it might be worth it to the right buyer.

When it comes to mileage, whatís printed in the tittle isnít documentation, a stack of receipt and/or a log books are.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Oct 18th, 19 at 12:06 PM. Reason: X
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
meb
Tech Team

Steve, Always appreciate your input. Thanks for clarifying the "3"s. Makes sense. You are kind of hitting the mark that 40-45K might be pushing it but it might be worth that to the right buyer. The appraisal was definitely a miss on the value though.

I'm in no rush to sell anyway.

To answer another earlier question, no this was not for an insurance appraisal. I was looking for an appraiser and wasn't having too much luck searching the internet, so I called Grundy agency and they gave me this companies name. I used to know a guy in PA but fell out of touch with him, but I might still have his card attached to a different appraisal he did for me a number of years ago...Need to dig that up.

TC# 3484
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 12:35 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

So it sounds like you waisted your money on that appraisal. I'd say yours is a $40k -$50K car all day long. His estimate of value is.laughable. Don't know about the 2s and 3s. Maybe a 1 has to be as new. I'd be pissed that I spent that money and got such an inaccurate appraisal.
I have always maintained one can get a better/ more knowledgable appraisal here foe free providing the correct and.sufficient information is supplied than one can get by paying two or three hundred dollars. Guys on this site know these cars in and out.

Last edited by blm; Oct 18th, 19 at 12:50 PM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

I always say a car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If a guy comes along and just has to have it, they are likely to pay over "market value". That's my opinion on it.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:03 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

One thing I will argue with is the mileage claim. I'm not saying yours is not accurate however the fact that it says so on the title means very little to me and I personally would not even consider that as proof of mileage.
Just consider how easy it is to disconnect the cable and stop accumulating miles or even to have purchased a whole assembly from another vehicle that was wrecked or otherwise not being driven.
Also consider that the car is 50 years old. That averages to a little over 1K miles per year. That may be common today but was definately not common back in the 70s. These car were quite often used as commuter vehicles and every day vehicles. I believe the one that was bought new and parked in the garage and used very sparingly was very rare.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:39 PM Thread Starter
meb
Tech Team

blm,

Good post. Your are correct, I can only take the cars history back to the previous owner. He too had a title that had Actual Miles as well. Taking one step back, if you know the state of NJ, they almost automatically mark a vehicle of that age as mileage unknown. Going back to when I bought it, we presented his documentation to a notary in Pittsburgh, PA and she felt the evidence was sufficient that she notarized the old title as authentic (regarding the miles). I presented this to the state of NJ and they accepted it, thus the "A"ctual miles on the title.

You are correct, is it 100% absolutely known to be true? One cannot say, but to get the "A"ctual mileage on a fifty year old car title in NJ is almost impossible.

TC# 3484
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:46 PM Thread Starter
meb
Tech Team

hjdca,

Another thing I wanted to throw out there about the rarity of some of this muscle cars is the unknown number that have been destroyed in some of the recent floods. They've been popping up on ebay.

TC# 3484
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in