1973 Monte Carlo SS - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 1:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
1973 Monte Carlo SS

It looks like this guy got fed a bunch of bull chips or he's the one doing the feeding ? he claims this car was bought from the original owner as a 1973 MC SS which we all know is bull***** so who's lying here ?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ct...989164030.html

This guy or the guy he bought it from ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1973 Monte Carlo SS

This guy for sure, possibly the previous owner too.

I have a feeling it will be a nightmare to register. I almost feel sorry for any sucker that might buy this car except that the ad serves as its own warning.

Steve R
VinceS427bb likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 6:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I've pretty much given up on buying anything that doesn't already have a clean title. Too much hassle to buy something with just a "bill of sail" and then have to deal with all the headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
This guy for sure, possibly the previous owner too.

I have a feeling it will be a nightmare to register. I almost feel sorry for any sucker that might buy this car except that the ad serves as its own warning.

Steve R

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r non-lockup, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:20 PM
Tech Team
grr

Well, he didn't buy it off the showroom floor, so he is the SECOND owner. You would have to find the original owner and have him get you a duplicate title and then sign it over to you.

The possibilities are endless - Maybe the guy he bought it from stole it and sold it to him? He could be the 10th owner in-line who was just passing the title thru their hands...

Finally, I did buy a 1973 Monte Carlo brand new. I ordered it and I don't remember seeing any SS options, otherwise I would have gotten it. Mine did have the swivel buckets, though - Brown car, lovely brown vinyl interior....UGH...That was probably the worst running car I ever had. It was a 350 2bbl and had a catalytic converter. That car wouldn't get out of its own way, got less than 10 mpg and wouldn't not stop running when you turned the key off.....

Just my .02...Your mileage may vary...
71350SS likes this.

grr
Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Maybe he was making a joke about sailing in his '73 SS Monte Carlo. Doesn't everyone name their boats? Terry
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:37 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

In 1973 there was either the Monte Carlo S, or the Monte Carlo Landau. A special stripped model was the base Monte Carlo with bias-ply tires, no high-caster front geometry, plus a 3-speed manual only (zero built).

The seller has a Monte Carlo S, which they hyped as having great handling and road manners (and they were right).

I always thought the 1970-71 Monte Carlo's rocker SS454 badges would look great on a '73, along with tips from a '73 GTO.
mr 4 speed likes this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:44 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
Well, he didn't buy it off the showroom floor, so he is the SECOND owner. You would have to find the original owner and have him get you a duplicate title and then sign it over to you.

You don't have to be the original owner to get a duplicate title.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 3:03 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Owning a first gen myself, i think they are good looking cars. I dont have quite the love for the next generation, but done right, they can look nice. The wheels on that car make me want to vomit. Its my opinion that this guy doesnt own the car, definitely didnt win it in a spelling or grammar contest. I think the guy knows he has nothing, but he might as well shoot for the moon when sailing a car thats not yours. He should dump the BS about it being an SS, and lead of with "motortrends car of the year for 1973."

Sailing a 1973.....comes with a bill of sail......C'mon dude.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 3:22 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Sailing > dang autocorrect

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 5:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Dude spelled California correct...impressive.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 6:39 PM
Tech Team
grr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You don't have to be the original owner to get a duplicate title.
But, wouldn't he need to go to whomever titled the car last and have them get the title? What if Mr Sailing bought a stolen car from the third or tenth owner? That is when you have nothing in your drive....

The ex wife ordered the 73 and I know we got the Landau. Had that half vinyl top, console, bucket seats and all. I think I paid about $4500 for it. I can't tell you how much I hated that car......On the other side of the coin, we got a new 1977 Monte and that was a really good car. Most of the engine problems were taken care of and that got about 14 or 15 MPG and rode much better. I paid about $5500 and that was the most I ever paid for a car.

grr

grr
Build Thread

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 6:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr456 View Post

The possibilities are endless - Maybe the guy he bought it from stole it and sold it to him? He could be the 10th owner in-line who was just passing the title thru their hands...

Finally, I did buy a 1973 Monte Carlo brand new. I ordered it and I don't remember seeing any SS options, otherwise I would have gotten it. Mine did have the swivel buckets, though - Brown car, lovely brown vinyl interior....UGH...That was probably the worst running car I ever had. It was a 350 2bbl and had a catalytic converter. That car wouldn't get out of its own way, got less than 10 mpg and wouldn't not stop running when you turned the key off.....

Just my .02...Your mileage may vary...
With all due respect I'm pretty sure Chevy didn't go with cat converters nationwide till 1975 but we had a brand new 1973 Chevy Impala with a 350 2 bbl and you're right what a dog.We brought the car back to the dealer for exhaust repairs right away in the 1st year because no one could sit in the passenger side rear seat due to the heat from the muffler.There was a customer complaint recall that added a heat shield above the muffler and that fixed that but those cars ran so lean the exhaust temps were always high.
VinceS427bb likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 6:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

The idiot didn't include any drivetrain info. Two small blocks or 454. This car doesn't even have buckets or floor console.

What prevents me from liking second gen Montes is the heavy bumpers.
71350SS likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 7:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

I feel dumber having read the ad.

The $22,000 second gen is dark blue, 454, buckets, console, air, power everything and 13k one owner miles. And it was ac garage kept.

I think the brain surgeon meant $2,200.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

A dealer modified car!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in