What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 5:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Hmm, debating selling '66 SS

Been toying with the idea of selling my ’66 SS. I love the car, but it’s a big project, and while I love working on old cars, I just can’t seem to find much spare time… While we have owned it since 1985, it hasn't been driven since late 1985... I have also been dreaming of looking for a C2 Corvette driver and have some money saved…
Anyway, I have a LOT of new parts for the car.

First, the car:
1966 SS (true 138VIN). We have owned this since 1985. California car its entire life (Fremont built), factory Marina Blue, Black bucket interior, gauges and console. It was an L78, but motor long gone, and I haven’t seen paperwork (window sticker, etc) in years, I assume its lost. Factory 4-speed (with speedo cable hole and clips, and return spring tab.
Has ’66 buckets but have been stripped for resto… Missing console, radio and heater, but I have a heater delete setup and a radio block-off panel. Factory gauges and correct high-redline knee-knocker tach. No console, but I have a “rare” dash-top clock.

Solid body. Doors, rockers, wheel lips, lower quarters are all great. Some small pinholes in the rear glass channel, some pinholes were in the front channel (but has been replaced recently). Floors are great, trunk has surface pitting and 4 small drilled holes (3/8”) from a trunk-mount battery on one side, but structurally solid… Rear trunk panel dented (have OEM, non-Malibu replacement). Original SS hood solid but hood pin holes. I have solid fenders but from a 300 Deluxe. A few minor bodywork areas.

Engine is a NOM ’66 396 (961 2-bolt block, ‘702 oval heads), with a correct 069 aluminum square port intake. I fired it up a few years ago, but its out of the car now. Correct but service dated #3613 Holley carb, small-body HEI. I have the correct deep-groove WP pulley, and rare idler pulley assembly, deep groove crank pulley. I also have a rare “4-row” HD cooling radiator “correct” for L78 (needs a core?) as well as a standard Big Block radiator. HD 5-blade clutch fan. #444 bellhousing, Muncie M20 or M21 with Hurst shifter (have both). Original ’66 12-bolt posi (was 3.73, now 3.42). Have stock exhaust manifolds (no smog) and beat headers…
I have been gathering parts, and have a lot of stuff.

Complete disc brake kit (Right Stuff, but 69-72 Chevelle style), new repro lower control arms, complete rear drum brakes (assembled, but not on the axle), all new brake lines and hoses. All new steering linkage, tie-rods, idler, swaybar parts, new bars, new upper BJs (lower too) control arm bushings, new Eibach springs (in the box), new Edelbrock IAS shocks (front NIB, rear installed, but zero miles). Rear suspension has Edelbrock upper adjustable with roto-joints, Global West tubular lowers and Edelbrock frame braces. New E-brake cables, etc… Misc like fuel pump, alternator, Stewart WP, stock fuel pump, rad hoses, etc, u-joints…
New fuel lines, fuel tank, sender. New body bushings and hardware. Brand new Moser axles, bearings studs still in the box...

New wiring harnesses (Amer AutoWire), OEM replacement; front light, engine (upgraded for stock coil/HEI), rear light, etc. Refurbished factory “gauge” dash harness. Brand new replacement OEM gauges
Floor shift, BB column with new turn signal/bearing, new lower bearing and carrier.

Lots of new AMK fastners, lots…

15” Wheel Vintique Series 62 steel wheels (15X7 and 15X8, poweder coated Blue). Diamondback Redline radial tires (front 215/70 BFGoodrich, rear Nitto 275/60 drag radials, with redline). Stock dog-dish caps that fit the wheels.

I have most trim (NOS wheel openings), except the rocker trim and drip mouldings (might have the drips). Bumpers and brackets decent (driver)… Glass is all there, but rear has some scratches (probably the front too).
New seat covers and door panels in the boxes (PUI, in white, black/white door panels). I decided to go with the factory “white” interior, instead of original all black.

Also have a repro ’66 shift handle that bolts directly to the Hurst body.

Have a repro Cowl Plenum setup, complete but uninstalled, new stock valve covers…

The latest version was to be a stock looking L78 racecar (heater delete, radio block-off, Cowl plenum, no console) but with 15” wheels and disc brakes. Clear California title, currently has personalized license plates (“L78”), but I also have a pair of “clear” Black Plates (correct for the ’66)…

I KNOW that bolting it together makes the most sense financially, but… Sometimes I think I'll never get there...

It needs an exhaust system, weatherstripping and assembly to make it driveable… not including paint and some trim…

thats Copper/Gold paint along the lower quarter panel...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 7:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage
Re: Hmm, debating selling '66 SS

Sooo....

What do you want for it?

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 7:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Man, I’d love that car but it’s worth way more than the lunch money I could give for it.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 8:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

No way.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Tony, you know the minute that car leaves you driveway, you will regret it. I'm in the same boat, sort of, i have the time but not the funds to paint, so i just reassembled with the new parts i bought over the last 6 years, and now i have a running , driving car that looks like Johnny Cash put it together, you know, one piece at a time. But seriously, i hope you can find a way to keep it. Terry
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 1:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
Tony, you know the minute that car leaves you driveway, you will regret it. I'm in the same boat, sort of, i have the time but not the funds to paint, so i just reassembled with the new parts i bought over the last 6 years, and now i have a running , driving car that looks like Johnny Cash put it together, you know, one piece at a time. But seriously, i hope you can find a way to keep it. Terry
back in 2007, I sold my '66 convertible, and still haven't had much regret... A little because it was mostly "done" (looking at least)…

Sold my '70 last year, and again, not too much regret, mostly because it was so fast it was a blast to drive...

My '66 SS, I drove it to about 5 months at the end of my senior year, and another 5 months (October 1985) when it broke a ring... I then either had other projects, or just didn't have the time... I wouldn't trade it, but I have looked for my fist car, a '66 Malibu (factory bucket/floor-shift car) that I drove Sophomore/Junior and Senior year, until a buddy wrecked it, and I bought the SS. After the SS engine died, I had already repaired the Malibu and drove it for another 3 years, selling it to buy my convertible...

Given the short 10-month period, I am really not sure why I kept it, not a lot of sentimental value...

Yeah, I have most parts, just need the time and "drive". Right now, I am stuck in the repair stage for the window channels. I honestly feel once I get past those hurdles, the reassembly will go quickly...

But, as I mentioned, I have always dreamt of a C2 Corvette... Although I really have the money saved (from selling my '70 and '67 El Camino and '66 Convertible) where I could afford a decent C2 (based on current prices I see), it would use up the rest of my Chevelle money, not to mention with 2 kids in High School, college is around the corner (my wife and I told our girls that we would "help" pay for 3 years of college)…

Last year, I decided I wasn't going to worry about body and paint, except sealing the car (front and rear window channels), and just get it driveable. My younger daughter is a great artist, so I was planning on faux patina (its just crap right now) with her doing some old school lettering, like a factory racecar, stock class, A/S or B/S...

Even thought of some names for the car: "Strip Teaser" (but that was pretty common), maybe "HoleShot", and even considered "Devil's Slider" (but that's more of a local name from the Bay Area). The car was sold new at a dealership in Pacifica (per the NCRS paperwork), which happens to be the closest dealership to the famous Half Moon Bay Dragstrip just south of San Francisco. To get from the dealership in Pacifica to the drag strip, you had to drive Highway 1 along a section of cliff high above the Pacific, called Devils Slide, which slide every few years... The State finally bypassed the slide area with a pair of tunnels about 5-10 years ago... But since I am now 90+ miles away, the name might not mean anything here...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:04 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into letting the 66 go. Yep, those thoughts can creep up on a guy when , well, whenever life sort of gets in the way. Usually they pass but at times seem like the right thing to do.
What would you be with out your L78 and your plan? Sometimes it's all a guy has to keep him sane in this world today, and what would you do if you didn't have it? A big empty load lifted off your "to do " list.
I guess you can always do that, sell it. How's that sound, sell it?
I guess I'd try to talk you back into staying the course and completing your goal because I know how I'd feel, watching it leave the driveway or garage for the last time. Remember the first time it arrived? Still have that feeling when you look at her? There's your answer. It's who you are.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

If it’s time for the car to go, then it needs to go. Just don’t do it unless you are 100% sure it’s the right thing to do.

If you want the race car vibe, join NHRA then get a completion license and permanent number for stock eliminator, you can get one even if you not presently racing. Use that in the car instead of a made up class designation, that trend has become passé over the last couple of years.

A valid competition license will also get you discounts from Summit and Jegs.

Steve R
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
If it’s time for the car to go, then it needs to go. Just don’t do it unless you are 100% sure it’s the right thing to do.

If you want the race car vibe, join NHRA then get a completion license and permanent number for stock eliminator, you can get one even if you not presently racing. Use that in the car instead of a made up class designation, that trend has become passé over the last couple of years.

A valid competition license will also get you discounts from Summit and Jegs.

Steve R
I didn't want a "current" racecar vibe, or even 70's Day two... I was more thinking along the lines of the purpose of buying an L78 originally, and then the "barn find" vibe... As if the car had been put away in the late 60's, not the 70's or 80's... Basically, I was going for a mostly stock resto, but avoiding the time and expense of a pro body/paint restoration... I have painted a few cars over the years, but they are "cruise night" quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd 66k20
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into letting the 66 go. Yep, those thoughts can creep up on a guy when , well, whenever life sort of gets in the way. Usually they pass but at times seem like the right thing to do.
What would you be with out your L78 and your plan?
I sold my '66 convertible and bought my '70 as a temp toy while I worked on the '66 L78... But I grew to love the '70 style...

Friends and family KNOW me as " '66 Chevelle", but really, this car has been driven by me in almost 35 years! It's not my first car, its not a car that I am the original owner, its not a car with a lot of memories.

I recently sold my '67 El Camino, and I am always looking for a '66 Elco as a project to replace my 97 S-10...

But as I mentioned earlier, my dream would be a C2 Corvette coupe...

I have considered selling the car several times over the years, but value, etc was never where I wanted to be (or at least enough for me to pull the trigger)... About 15 years ago, I had an interested party, but we were off slightly (it was a cash + trade deal, where I wanted a solid '66 Malibu + cash for the SS and parts, the buyer wanted to throw in more cash, but no Malibu). About 10 years ago, I had discussions with a fellow TCer, but I still wasn't sure...

So, I really can't say why I have this sentimental attachment. While I know I can't get my money back for the parts, many of them have been in boxes for 4-10 years, so the money is gone anyway... I look at a sale as being/felling like nearly pure profit for me, so its not like I sell the car for $15k and net $2,000 that won't buy me anything...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 3:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Tony, you can't do family cruises in a vette. If the vette is what you want, go for it. Terry
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
Tony, you can't do family cruises in a vette. If the vette is what you want, go for it. Terry
My daughters are 15 and 17, and have little interest in riding in Dad's stinky, noisy old car... They did think it was fun when they were younger (they like the "floaty feeling" when the car went sideways).
68-13427 likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 1:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Do you wear gold chains, white socks? Get ready for the corvette crowd lol

CAn you tel me more about the cowl plenum setup? When I took my AC off I made a lip around the hole for something like that.
May be interested.

Had a Camaro cowl induction setup on yrs ago but the last engine looked stockish enough. Would look out of place on the current one..and want somethign different.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 3:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

If you dont need it for a tinker toy, your sanity, or
dont have the drive for the reward at the end of the rainbow
then it may be time?

When people would ask me if I got the car done yet...
I would just say it is my whenever car!

Whenever I feel like working on it...

For me It could not feel like it is a job and something had to be done
by the end of the day, week, or even month!
5yrs later it is finally done enough for now.

If its only time your having issues with. It could happen
when them kids move on...

1 child out of college,1 child still in college for me.
Once they are out the dont want to come back to the parents
for more than a day or 2. Sometimes only an 1 hour or 2.

17,000 Posts here on TC and more chevelle knowledge than most.
I say you will find the time to get it done if you keep it. JMO

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 3:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Sometimes it's all a guy has to keep him sane in this world today
Yup wether it sits or not nice to know you can count on something bringing you a good thought.
Value never made up for it.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
CAn you tel me more about the cowl plenum setup?
Mine is a stock reproduction. Not fancy, just basic black...

Looks like this...

I wouldn't sell it though, unless I someday decided not to install it... IF I keep the car, the plan is to install the Cowl Plenum setup...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28e87ed26c4bcb1c8df8016be354129c.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	605300  

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in