• 1 Post By jackie schmidt
  • 1 Post By 71350SS
  • 2 Post By Steve R
  • 1 Post By ToocoolZ28

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 5:28 PM Thread Starter
Mike

1970 SS; Build Sheet/Window Sticker

I am helping my buddy sell his really nice '70 SS. The car is a Ca built and garaged most of it's life. My other buddy bought it in about 2007. It was is in good shape but he did a ground up restoration in 2008. The car is a 396/350 bench seat, column shift automatic. It comes with 2 engines-the original 396 that is not in the car (but in good shape) and another 396 that was rebuilt about 9 years ago that is in the car. The car is a factory original A/C (blows cold) car with P/S, P/B. The owner has the build sheet, original window sticker, and original Owner's Manual plus the P-O-P. Gardner exhaust. They do not come much finer than this car. Like new underneath. Any advice on a potential value would be appreciated. Mike Martin; Madison, Ms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	604176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	604178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	604180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	604182  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 5:31 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Re: 1970 SS; Build Sheet/Window Sticker

Interior:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	604184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	604186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	604188  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 19, 8:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

It's not a matching numbers car as it sits, but at least it has the potential to be just that, if indeed the original engine is as issue with the original deck stamp in place.

The car has all of the pedigree verifiers that are required to "prove" it's SS pedigree.

In a way, it's good that the paint and such are as old as they are, any issues would probably have popped up by now. If they have not, then they are not much of an issue to begin with.

I have no idea what is "correct" or not on the car, I will leave that to those that do know. But it appears to be a nice example of a true '70 SS.

I would say no less than $38,000. How much more someone is willing to pay depends on the buyer and their wants.
SS4Real likes this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 19, 3:38 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well a pedigreed 70 SS in red. Some say the red interior is too much but I like them. Only downside I see in the auto on the column. If as nice as stated Id say $45K-$50K.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 9:31 AM Thread Starter
Mike

The hood on this car is not a cowl induction hood. The owner bought a second hood, a NOS cowl hood which goes with car when it sells.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 6:06 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

Why would the owner not opt to put the original engine in the car making it a numbers matching car prior to selling if it's in good condition as you state???!!!? Completely blows my mind. The column shift auto doesn't help either. The car appears to be in great shape, but way too much red for my taste, but I'm not the one buying it. I would guess 40-42K max as the car sits now to someone looking for that particular combo...

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 12:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

If the original engine engine is sitting there in the guy's garage just so some fun could be had with a replacement engine and not have to worry about ruining the factory OEmotor then how is that not numbers matching ? I'll bet there are about 5 or more people right here on TC that have their cars set up the exact same way.Showing pictures of the numbers motor with the VIN and all the other engine info, what's the difference if the pics are taken when it's sitting between the fenders or under the bench in the shop ,it is still the ORIGINAL motor and that's much better than "matching numbers" which can sometimes mean many different things to different people.
So IMO it's just a technicality and it is still an original engine car but where it drops off in price is the bench seat and column shift.Yes I know a lot of people like them that way but most of the people prefer buckets/console/floor shift in auto or manual. So the 396/column shift/ bench will bring that car down some while the AC is still a plus.
I think and agree $38 to $42 depending on how patient he is as a seller.
davewho1 likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 2:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

Its heading into winter and the car has a red bench seat interior, no gauges, probably a non-posi rear end. It does however have lots of documentation and the original engine (which isnít installed) and has cold AC. I think high-30ís might be a stretch. Itís nice, but the color combination is Love it or hate it, and itís a fairly low option car. Youíre friend will be in a better position come spring, when people start getting their tax returns and get the itch for something new to drive for the coming summer.

Steve R
71350SS and LeoP like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 7:17 AM Thread Starter
Mike

I'll get some photos of the original engine. I cannot seem to get any photos to post on this website. Is the site messed up? I have a number of photos of the bottom of the car and more.
The car belongs to a guy, a Dentist in Madison, Ms. He bought it from a friend of mine who was the third owner, buying it from fellow in Va or WVa that was kin to the original owners who were from Ca. My buddy spared no expense on doing a frame up restoration on the car. He is helping me sell the car for the DDM. He can answer any and all questions and I'll post this info after I talk to him again today. Tks
Mike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 9:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Sounds and looks like a $40-48K car to me.
JMHO and experience. Nice ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Mike

My friend Jimmy Jones was the second owner of the car. The car had been given to the nephew of the first owner, the folks from CA. He got the car and had no intent but to sell the car. Jimmy bought it from that fellow in Va. It had the original engine and Jimmy pulled it to freshen up the engine compartment. He was talking to another Chevelle owner about some parts and this guy had pulled the 396 engine out of his '70 Chevelle as he was going to put an LS engine in it. Jimmy bought this engine and rebuilt it and put it in the car. That engine has the correct code (is it CTW?) for a '70 396/350hp engine. The other engine, the original engine in still on the stand that Jimmy put it on. I am going to go get some pictures of it. At the time it was pulled Jimmy said it ran great with no issues. I'm checking to see if Posi or not. Tks
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 3:16 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

I see $50000 all day long. Red, original engine, a/c. I see non matching hot rodded 70 chevelles go for 40-45000 all the time.
LeoP likes this.

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in