Unusual request from Newbie abt 69 Restomod - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 7:19 PM Thread Starter

Unusual request from Newbie abt 69 Restomod

My father-in-law, now 92 years old, started modifying and restoring a 1969 Chevelle about 8 years ago. He started with a very nice, no-rust original car, and then spared no expense by installing a 383 stroker crate engine, new driveline, new disc brakes, new interior, new wheels and tires, new vinyl top, new show-quality paint (original color, which is a metallic maroon) and many, many more upgrades. It is a beautiful car, fully finished and a standout performer...unfortunately, my wife and I have had to move him to a more structured living arrangement and I've been tasked with selling the car to help pay for his ongoing expenses.

How should I go about establishing a price, what information do I need to find out, and what's the best way to list and sell the car? He kept receipts for the major items and I do have access to them, and he is a wealth or information about the car even though he can no longer drive it. I know that he's put way more money into this build than it is worth, but it was a passion for him and he enjoyed every moment, so it's been worth it!

I realize that using a broker would be the easiest route, but we are trying to conserve as much of my father-in-laws' money as possible, as he will need it all. I'm not looking to "make" a lot of money, yet I don't want to sell it for a lot less than it's worth, or list a price so high that it won't sell.

I would be appreciative of any suggestions or directions anyone can give me!

Thanks sincerely,

Don Kinney
(New2Chevelles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 7:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Unusual request from Newbie abt 69 Restomod

Posting numerous detailed pictures right here will get you a wealth of information.
Steve R likes this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

A 383 is a run of the mill crate engine,new disc brakes could be a simple repair brake job or it could mean new 4 wheel disc brakes.New wheels and tires are a shot in the dark as they will have to appeal to who ever buys the car.I think depending on what your Chevelle looks like you're in the $20 to 30K range and also you haven't said anything about what kind of Chevelle you have.
Was it originally equipped with the Super Sport option ? is there any paperwork with the car ? buildsheet, Protecto plate those would add value as well as factory A/C or new style aftermarket A/C. What kind of wheels were installed ?some aftermarket forged wheels are in the $1 K range and up for each wheel.Also if any of the upgrades were of the restomod type that would also add to the value.Finally a good bunch of pictures would make it much easier to put a definitive value on it.
davewho1 likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 3:30 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Post up pictures body, Inteior and underneath.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Follow up to those asking for more info and pix on '69!

I posted last week about a 69 (Standard) Chevelle that my father-in-law purchased with no rust in about 2004, and he spent the last 15 years updating and renewing all of the cars' systems and components, as well as a gorgeous re-paint in the original color. Several people here asked for more information before helping me know what to ask for it (I've been tasked with selling it as he's now in a more structured living arrangement and no longer drives.) I took some photos that are attached of everything that I could, but happy to take and post additional when I can as I don't live close to where the car is currently being stored.

The basics: 1969 Chevelle Malibu, originally had the 350 engine and automatic transmission, maroon metallic with black vinyl top. The car now has 81,500 original miles.

Engine: GM 383 crate engine w/throttle body, 425hp @5500 rpm. MSD Atomic EFI Ignition, Less than 1,000 miles on this engine.
Transmission: HD 2004R Automatic with lockup control, locally built and installed.
Diff: 12-bolt, 4:10 ratio, posi-trac. Brakes: all converted to discs. Suspension: all new control arms and springs, Global West brand.
Also new: power rack and pinion; HD starter, variable speed fan motor, ac system, aeromotive fuel system, Rally wheels w/ trim rings, Firehawk Indy 500 tires--235/70/15 fronts and 275/60/15 backs.
Interior: All new seats, door panels, carpets, dash pad, package shelf, headliner. New vinyl roof, rear window area sealed to prevent common rust problem under back window.
Paint: Multiple color coats and clearcoats in original maroon metallic to match original paint under hood, trunk, door jambs, etc. Paint is like new, don't believe that there is a chip, ding or bad spot to be seen.
I know that there are many more things that I just don't know enough to ask about, but hopefully there's enough here so that you folks who are experts can give me some direction on what it's worth!
Thanks again for your time and input, I appreciate it! (Sorry about the photos that are on their sides or upside down, I couldn't figure out how to use the editor) --Don (New2Chevelles)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr side.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	603652   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr side bk.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	603654   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	603656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr frnt side.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	603658  

Name:	dr qtr paint.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	603660   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass frnt.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	603662   Click image for larger version

Name:	full front seats.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	603664   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass door panel.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	603666  

Name:	back seats.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	603668  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 6:05 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Re: Follow up to those asking for more info and pix on '69!

Beautiful car! From the photos and your description I'd say value is mid to upper 20's. Maybe $30k. Does it have working AC? Any issues? Need photos of engine compartment, trunk, undercarriage, etc. to give a better estimate of value.
Steve R likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 7:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

merged both posts/threads.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 7:50 PM
Tech Team
Gavin

Start at $32k and be flexible to be negotiated down. No less than $27k

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 7:53 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Can we get a pic of your father in law working on the car?

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 12:34 AM
Tech Team
Chris

I really like how the car is true to what it came as. Represented as a Malibu and the car looks great in doing such. Bench seat column shift will hold it back a bit, we just need pictures of engine compartment, but otherwise looks very well put together. I would say mid twenties, maybe upper 20s to right buyer

Chris-Phoenix,AZ
1967 Chevelle SS 396- 4 Speed
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 1:29 AM
Tech Team
Richard

"Bring a Trailer" does very well for cars like this.
Much wider market than this forum.
I intend to use them for some cars I am building to sell.

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 8:22 AM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

Beautiful car. I would list it at 35K, and would go no lower than 30K if it were my vehicle.
427L88, shovelrick and Pats70ss like this.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 8:59 AM
Senior Tech Team

Google Chris at PAckard senior services. He will get him qualified for Medi Cal which will cover all costs of that home...then pick him up ea Sat and take him out for Donuts in it.
BEst money he will spend, guaranteed approval. Hes in San Diego Ca. His Dad wrote the law on that stuff.
427L88 likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 10:57 AM
Tech Team

Very nice, what state is this car in?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 12:04 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I'm with Phil. 35K. No less than 30K. You may actually ask near 40( 37.5k) and sit on it for a while.

You might try and get ahold of someone here for a professional appraisal www.chevellestuff.com I forget who their 69 guru is, maybe John Eide.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in