What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 9:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
70 Bucket seats value?

I recently upgraded my seats and took out a set of (what look to be) pretty original buckets. They are in excellent condition. I would appreciate any input on their value. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6CFEEF9F-6626-4F67-A4A4-6917F05D68A9.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	602376   Click image for larger version

Name:	58D8DC21-A153-48B4-A539-A42513BB1ACF.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	602380   Click image for larger version

Name:	9EFF5D2C-AA1E-4E27-AAAC-37E54800198F.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	602382   Click image for larger version

Name:	8AE1B88A-B73A-48B0-9746-3F05EBE586C0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	602384  

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 9:30 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: 70 Bucket seats value?

Good year and good color. From the pics they appear to be in good shape. If the plastic isn't scratched up I'd say $800.00- $1K.
What seats did you swap to?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Good year and good color. From the pics they appear to be in good shape. If the plastic isn't scratched up I'd say $800.00- $1K.
I’d say the plastic is in very good shape.
I bought a set from TMI that best approaches a stock look. After installing them last night, they’re very comfortable, firm, and keep my a$$ in place. The passenger seat is the new one, the headrest went on later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	027787BF-5A41-4BE5-A0DC-483DF8D2EB5E.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	602394  

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 12:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

It’s sometimes hard getting that kind of money in the local market. You are relying on someone within driving distance who needs those exact seats and is willing to pay your price to see your ad. That’s not always going to happen. Are you willing to ship? If so, that might not be a bad option and you might be able to get a higher price too.

Steve R
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 12:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

I LOVE the new TMI seats. Thank you for posting the pics! I have come close to ordering a set several times over the last year or two.

FWIW...
Your old seats are not original. have been recovered with PUI covers somewhere along the line.
There is something visibly wrong with the springs on the bottom- they should not be jammed through the holes like that, it almost looks like someone removed the metal tabs that should hold them in place... You can see the next spring over is held in place properly by its tab, but those two are not and there is no tab visible in the hole... So something is definitely wrong there.

The frame itself and tracks appear to be in nice shape, minimal rust and the tracks, plastics and headrests are all in place.

assuming the other seat is essentially the same (And hopefully not broken in the same way)- then I'd place value between $350-$500 for the pair depending how patient a seller you are.
Steve R likes this.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 2:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Search tempest will give you an idea of current asking prices. Most I see are junk going for way too much. https://www.searchtempest.com/
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 7:37 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post

assuming the other seat is essentially the same (And hopefully not broken in the same way)- then I'd place value between $350-$500 for the pair depending how patient a seller you are.
Ben,
Im suprised at that value. For several years now I have only seen seats that need a complete restoration at that price range and many times they are priced even higher. The spring issue is an easy fix however it has me wondering if these seats have the typical broken corner support springs and original buns. Getting back to the value if someone came across a set of cores at $350.00 and they were not completely trashed I would suggest they buy them. Even at $350.00 they could and most likely would surpass the a $800.00 mark especially if they don't do the resto themselves.
I like your new seats also. On a side note I recently came across a guy that had the same TMI seats in a 69. He said that with the big bolster seat one needs a tilt wheel. I'm sure one doesn't NEED a tilt wheel but I bet it helps. Getting into a Chevelle is a little on the tight side even with regular seats when compared to a modern car.

Last edited by blm; Sep 5th, 19 at 7:57 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 7:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
I LOVE the new TMI seats. Thank you for posting the pics! I have come close to ordering a set several times over the last year or two.

FWIW...
Your old seats are not original. have been recovered with PUI covers somewhere along the line.
There is something visibly wrong with the springs on the bottom- they should not be jammed through the holes like that, it almost looks like someone removed the metal tabs that should hold them in place... You can see the next spring over is held in place properly by its tab, but those two are not and there is no tab visible in the hole... So something is definitely wrong there.

The frame itself and tracks appear to be in nice shape, minimal rust and the tracks, plastics and headrests are all in place.

I think that you are WAY off. I don't see him having any trouble getting 800 or more for them. I sold a pair needing restoration for $250 almost 25 years ago. Someone could bolt these in and go as is.
fishhead likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 8:05 AM
Tech Team

save them as they are originals to the car
daveschevyparts likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 8:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkar26 View Post
I’d say the plastic is in very good shape.
I bought a set from TMI that best approaches a stock look. After installing them last night, they’re very comfortable, firm, and keep my a$$ in place. The passenger seat is the new one, the headrest went on later.

I really like how you did the pic of one old and one new seat. Can clearly see the difference it makes. I assume you bout the TMI seats that come complete, Any issues with the install? They look good!

You leaving the back stock?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 8:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Agree.

Just post these on Ebay and say "local pickup only."

I know I would drive 400-500 miles if I needed them.

Good luck !
fishhead likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 8:39 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

One criticism I have about the TMI seats is that they felt the need to plaster their logo on the side of the seat. It would bother me enough not to buy them. I hate when companies feel the need to do that. At the very least I feel if the do so they should do it in a way that it could be removed if the end user desires to do so. This dislike of mine doesn't apply just to seats it applies to any part.
71350SS and davewho1 like this.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
I really like how you did the pic of one old and one new seat. Can clearly see the difference it makes. I assume you bout the TMI seats that come complete, Any issues with the install? They look good!

You leaving the back stock?
The driver's seat went in like butter. The passenger bracket needed one hole enlarged in order to fit. Other than that, it was a breeze. The seats sit a little lower than the old ones.
I'm leaving the back as is for now as TMI doesn't have a "drop-in" rear seat bench like they do for the front.

This is what both seats in looks like
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190903_201211.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	602428  
RAMBO likes this.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I agree with the ebay ad and local pickup. Selling on CL is an exercise in patience with stupidity.
At least with ebay, you minimize the craziness.
I think the price estimate of just shy of $1000 is a good start.
fishhead likes this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 11:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdvdr41 View Post
I think that you are WAY off. I don't see him having any trouble getting 800 or more for them. I sold a pair needing restoration for $250 almost 25 years ago. Someone could bolt these in and go as is.
It could be that I'm way off... but to me those seats still need new buns & covers, and I would never pay that much for a seat that still needs to be restored.
Even if they are good enough for a driver quality ride today- my eye is still on the coming cost to "make them right" and the cost to restore them ontop of the cost just to buy the seats at $800-$1k is simply too high IMO.

Now thats not to say that some buyers wouldn't jump all over them at $800- seats are getting harder to find and these do "appear" nice- but if a customer was to send me a link to these advertised at $800-$1k and asked what I think, I would tell them to pass as way too expensive or to offer a max of $500-$600 if they absolutely had to have them.

As always, this is just my opinion, and we all know what those are like. Just putting it out there for perspective. :-)

----
----

Brad- I totally agree with you, TMI is doing themselves a disservice by not offering an option to NOT have the logo embroidered into the side of their covers. even $40-$50 more to not have that would be something many would be willing to do. At least these are stitched in black so they are not AS visible.
Steve R, davewho1 and augy like this.

Ben R.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in