MuscleCar Future Values - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 9:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

MuscleCar Future Values

I am curious to know what you guys think the value of the 60's and early 70's musclecars will do when the people that grew up loving them don't drive the market price any longer. It seems the gutless, late 70's cars such as Trans Ams are now trending because the younger crowd is now in a position to buy what they wanted when they were young. Maybe it's because these cars are still fairly affordable and most of the desirable musclecars have exceeded most peoples affordability.

My first car was a 70 Chevelle SS L34 but I have always dreamed of owning an LS6 Chevelle since I was a kid. I am fortunate enough to be in the market for one now but I am concerned the value will decline in these cars and even though I am an enthusiast first and not in it to make a buck, I certainly don't want to buy something and take a huge loss in 10-15 years.

Mark
1970 Chevelle SS, Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 10:10 PM
Tech Team

Re: MuscleCar Future Values

some kids of today will still like em,my 7 yr old grandson loves my 66 and wants it when hes old enough,and my nephews who are early 20's both are into old cars,my dads 66 pontiac i just shipped to one of em in arizona and the other has a mid 70's camaro,but wants a 60's car when he gets thru college.
1970SS and davewho1 like this.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Save your money. You say you are an enthusiast, But then opine about “value”.

The years of enjoyment that you would get from a nice car obviously has no “value” to you.
Tophog likes this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

As long as “Muscle Cars” are part of popular culture the prices won’t drop too much, beyond the normal economic cycles. The time is right to be more selective with purchases. The rusty shell that gets dragged home because it was cheap will never be a smart move going forward. It’s best to buy the best car possible and do your due diligence before purchasing. There are too many bad restorations out there with shiny, but bubbling paint and other red flags that buyers tend to blindly disregard. Those cars will also turn out to be losers in the long run.

Steve R
1970SS, Alan F, blm and 3 others like this.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 10:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970SS View Post
I certainly don't want to buy something and take a huge loss in 10-15 years.
Don't worry you only have 12 yrs. left. Ask AOC.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 12:12 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

nobody knows what the future holds...for muscle cars, stocks, inverted curves, etc...to me muscle cars are a hobby. Like any other hobby, it costs money and usually you are not even going to break even. I tried to buy my cars wisely and perform as much of my own work as possible.

If you are concerned about future value, maybe spend less money for a mostly finished driver instead of a show car LS6.

Fulfilling childhood dreams and being financially savy dont go together.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 2:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Build your own instead of paying an inflated price for an original. Especially if you want something to drive. If you're looking for a trailer queen or garage art, by all means, buy an original.
1970SS, 427L88, novadude and 7 others like this.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 6:48 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Al, I dont know, we see alot of upside down restos crossing those auction blocks at 50-70 cents on the dollar.

My car ( all original sheet metal, rear end , 138- car etc) would be worth 5-10K more on resale with an LS than the Mark Jones 600 hp bullet I am installing now. Sort of offends me, but I've never been one on "popular tastes". And we've already seen values dip, I believe, due to demographics. I dont see my not-so-rare 138 car being a great long term investment, just a ton of fun in the meantime.

My "future value" muscle car will hopefully be an Elky with four electric drives. DD type of thing.

70SS, the trouble with that LS6 car is that when you drop 125-150K on a ride, you wont be driving the wheels off it. Alternatively, you could find a 70 Malibu and stick a 600 hp powerplant in it, and EAT LS6 cars for b'fast, which of course, you'll rarely see off their trailer beds.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 7:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I would prefer to find an ls6 that is all there needing a complete restoration as I can do all of the work myself minus paint and body vs buying something already done not knowing what lies underneath. Unfortunately they just aren't out there. Most have been destroyed or already done. Ls6 production numbers are not that low but they are getting to be a pretty rare sight even at Mecum and BJ.
427L88 likes this.

Mark
1970 Chevelle SS, Black
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 8:31 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
Save your money. You say you are an enthusiast, But then opine about “value”.

The years of enjoyment that you would get from a nice car obviously has no “value” to you.
I think that is over simplifying the issue beyond reason. If the OP is cautious about the purchase of what's amounts to a very expensive toy, I can't fault him for that. Show me someone who treads uncautiously into unfamiliar territory and I will show you a fool.
1970SS and Derek69SS like this.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 8:37 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

When you get in the rarified air of what an LS6 is going to cost, either to buy or properly build (and make no mistake there are no bargains when it comes to those cars) there are less buyers than there are for a 1970 Malibu restomod. If there is an economic turndown, people will leave these type of investments, so that market contracts faster than for something more durable such as gold.

There was a time I remember when people had old cars because they were passionate about the car, not as a store of value. Now everyone is looking for that next collectible thing. The answer is don’t spend more than you can afford and make sure that you won’t need that store of value such that you can ride out temporary market declines. It has happened before and most likely will again.

All that said, there are plenty of people who want to buy cars earlier than what they grew up with. If not there would not be anyone buying model T’s. I’ve always had an eye for the 1920s big cars such as Packard, La Salle, Cadillac, etc., which are 50 years before my time.
1970SS, oman, davewho1 and 1 others like this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 8:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
My car ( all original sheet metal, rear end , 138- car etc) would be worth 5-10K more on resale with an LS than the Mark Jones 600 hp bullet I am installing now.
I haven't been following car values too closely, but if this is true, I am surprised.

There will always be folks like me that feel that carburetors, 15" wheels, original suspensions, etc are part of the whole "classic musclecar" charm. If I wanted something with all the modern amenities, I'd go buy a late model Challenger or something. Part of what makes these cars fun (to me) is that they are a little rough around the edges and unrefined. It's all about the whole experience....
1970SS, 427L88, blacknblue and 7 others like this.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 9:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Build your own instead of paying an inflated price for an original. If you're looking for a trailer queen or garage art, by all means, buy an original.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
I haven't been following car values too closely, but if this is true, I am surprised.

There will always be folks like me that feel that carburetors, 15" wheels, original suspensions, etc are part of the whole "classic musclecar" charm. If I wanted something with all the modern amenities, I'd go buy a late model Challenger or something. Part of what makes these cars fun (to me) is that they are a little rough around the edges and unrefined. It's all about the whole experience....
Building your own most always ends up costing more than buying one that's already built, and I'd say that's true 99% of the time. Also I keep thinking… Why is it that I've always felt that modded cars like mine were frowned upon on this site and also when going at "Chevelle-only" car shows?…like if my car was ridiculously built?… Too many purists maybe… Still whenever I bring my car to "all brands" car shows no matter where I go, I get a lot of compliments and "thumbsups" all day long and some handshakes about my car, but here on this site and when attending "Chevelle-only" shows no. It seems that modded cars are not the norm or very popular here. Dunno why for sure but could it be because these places are mostly intended for "purists" (but without being advertised as such)? I much prefer having a gorgeous looking '70's era muscle car but without the inconveniences of carburetors, chokes, belted tires, no a/c, etc…I prefer smoothing out these "rough edges" and make it more enjoyable to drive. Sorry but I'm the total opposite of what a purist is…

Claude.
1970SS, MarkP, suazo66 and 1 others like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 9:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I'm not worried about values of my cars. I won't be selling them. My Daughter and Son-in-Law have spoken for them, and I know he'll take care of them. In the meantime, I'll drive them, enjoy them for all the days I have left. Having bought original Tucson cars, I don't have rust issues like a lot of you run in to, just happy to have them roadworthy and fun to drive.
1970SS, davewho1 and RealRed70 like this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

I dunno. I don't think the younger crowd is necessarily driving the market on these mid/late 70's and 80's cars & trucks. I think it has more to do with the fact that it's very difficult to find a good drivable 60's muscle car these days for under $20k and a lot of people are getting priced out, so they are buying the next most affordable thing.

But to answer the question at hand, do you think people that grew up driving '32 Fords is the same demographic that drives the market for traditional 30's hot rods today? What about early model T's? I don't think demographics is what drives the market at all. I'm sure there will be some fluctuations that rise and fall with the overall economy, but as the years go by I'd expect the value of our beloved muscle cars to be relatively stable.

To be honest though, I don't think about it much. I don't think classic cars are the appropriate place to park your money with the expectation of making any meaningful profit, and I didn't buy my 66 because I expect it to quadrouple in value and fund my retirement or anything. These cars are a hobby. Yes they do have value, but the real value is the time you spend on your hobby.
1970SS, oman, DUKE 69 and 6 others like this.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in