What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

29Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 7:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Atk 350

At what price is it stupid not to buy this?

ATK crate motor with less than 250 miles on it. 330HP, 380Ft/lbs. Engine specs are included on one of the images. Currently in a car but Iíll be pulling the motor soon. Runs beautifully. Sounds amazing. Wish I could keep it but I canít. This motor is great for any project car. Price is relatively negotiable. Text or call with questions/inquiries.
https://www.high-performance-engines...-p/hp291pm.htm

Engine is local to me. The engine in my Monte Carlo runs ok, its reliable at this point, but its starting to burn more and more oil. At some point, im gonna have to take out old and busted, to replace with some new hotness. I know zippo about engine specs really, but will this engine move my Monte with 3.08's along pretty well?

I saw this engine listed a while ago, it was up around $2200 or $2500. Now, it can be had for the low-low price of $1999.
427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:15 AM
Tech Team

Re: Atk 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post

ATK crate motor with less than 250 miles on it. 330HP, 380Ft/lbs. Engine specs are included on one of the images. Currently in a car but Iíll be pulling the motor soon. Runs beautifully. Sounds amazing. Wish I could keep it but I canít. This motor is great for any project car. Price is relatively negotiable. Text or call with questions/inquiries.

Engine is local to me. The engine in my Monte Carlo runs ok, its reliable at this point, but its starting to burn more and more oil. At some point, im gonna have to take out old and busted, to replace with some new hotness. I know zippo about engine specs really, but will this engine move my Monte with 3.08's along pretty well?

I saw this engine listed a while ago, it was up around $2200 or $2500. Now, it can be had for the low-low price of $1999.
If you can get it for $1999 I'd jump on it. Jegs and Summit want $2800 for it.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp291pm
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 9:41 AM
Senior Tech Team

Iíd wait. You donít know how long your current engine will last. Besides, how do you know the engine only has 250 miles on it? If you want if, find out if you are getting a turn key engine, which includes, carb and all accessoryís, if not Iíd take a hard pass.

Steve R

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Besides, how do you know the engine only has 250 miles on it?
TO add to this...

How do you know that whomever installed it didn't overheat it or wipe the cam on break-in? When someone is selling an engine with so few miles, I tend to be very suspicious and think the worst.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
TO add to this...

How do you know that whomever installed it didn't overheat it or wipe the cam on break-in? When someone is selling an engine with so few miles, I tend to be very suspicious and think the worst.
Proper break in is what concerns me the most, which is why i'm pretty hesitant, but everything has its proper price, i just dont know what it is. if it was a roller i would probably be sending some emails.

i may send an email to the seller, who knows, maybe it was installed by a local shop, and maybe there is some documentation. I have also been able to determine that the seller graduated high school 1 year ago. Thanks Google.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:44 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I'm seeing this as a used, running, HFT cammed 325 HP 350... $800

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 1:35 PM
Tech Team
James

Honestly, I price used motors based off of what I can sell the heads for. That way I know I can recoup my cost or close to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 6:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

So i emailed the seller. He wrecked the car he put the motor in. Swears it was broken in properly. After the first email, he emailed me back Sunday (2 days after first email) asking if i was still interested in the engine. to me, i think that shows that he has figured out its hard to sell a used engine, and he isnt getting much interest in it. I dont really need this engine right now, so i think i will make him a fairly low offer, explain to him i'm not desperate for it right now, and he can sit on my offer and contact me down the road when he is sick of looking at it.

So my question is, is this a decent engine for the street? Its going in My 70 Monte, 2004r and 3.08 rears. Its kind of a weekend cruiser, and spends most of its time on the highway. Will i need to step up my torque converter game? I'm running the stock MCSS converter, which i think stalls at 1800.
VinceS427bb likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 7:14 AM
Gold Member
Gene

It should "plug and play" Dan. I dont think that cam needs much converter. I like your " I'm not desperate but you might be" plan.
LeoP, VinceS427bb and 70montee like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 8:59 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post

In reply to your post about ATK Engines, I got an email yesterday in my inbox about a free engine giveaway if anyone is interested. It's an ATK Small Block Chevy. Here's the link if anyone is interested and I am not trying to advertise for anyone so please forgive me if this violates the forum rules.

https://www.jegs.com/ContestAndGiveaways
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 6:17 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

that's a good engine. Offer 1500 with all accessories. Strong stock type street engine. See what other stuff he has lying around after the wreck. Maybe an OD trans?

be sure you understand about required oil for the HFT cam.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 6:18 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

That free engine deal is really an email address collector deal for Jegs. Probably harmless.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 6:22 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Have the 1500 in hundred dollar bills in you hand. Stack of hundos always a good motivator.
DUKE 69 and 427L88 like this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 6:29 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ben Franklin is my favorite!
DUKE 69 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Unread Aug 14th, 19, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

As always just my Humble Opinion....so here goes. All you have is this Young Man's word about everything. "No Warranty". So how much to repair the engine if indeed the cam was not properly broken in/properly maintained. If you can easily afford to go back through the engine if the cam does go flat/is already going....go for it....otherwise Hard Pass. Years ago I bought a used 360HP 396....It seemed to run great. I didn't pay a lot for it, but when I got into it, it was not as represented. I would have been much better off to have spent the money else ware.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in