Team Chevelle banner

1970 Pontiac GTO Estimate

5K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  69Chvll 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Looking for some more help on evaluating the value of a GTO for sale. It’s a green on green with a black vinyl top. 4 speed manual 400 block with AC car. It has been painted within the past two years, but some of the clear is starting to bubble already (red flag!). I’ve been told the car is mechanically sound. I need to confirm the transmission and motor are original to the car. He’s asking 25k. Ultimately, I’d like to drive this one for a while then sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Not an extremely rare car but looks like a decent survivor car with a fresh paint job, I usually don’t like that as fresh paint is usually hiding issues. $25k? Seems a bit overpriced to me. Maybe if it was rust free convertible or a RA III car or 455 car. I don’t believe the ultra rare RAIV were available with A/C. Should be a code WT and have #12 heads cast on center exhaust ports. STD 350 hp 400.

How is the underbody, any rust issues? Should be able to scrap off grease around front passenger timing cover area to see if VIN stamp matches the car. The Muncie should have vin stamp on it as well. Most 400 GTO’s received the 10 bolt BOP rear. 455 cars got the Chevy 12 bolt this year. More than likely a M20 wide ratio and freeway gears as an A/C car.

#3 ·
Not an extremely rare car but looks like a decent survivor car with a fresh paint job, I usually don’t like that as fresh paint is usually hiding issues. $25k? Seems a bit overpriced to me. Maybe if it was rust free convertible or a RA III car or 455 car. I don’t believe the ultra rare RAIV were available with A/C. Should be a code WT and have #12 heads cast on center exhaust ports. STD 350 hp 400.

How is the underbody, any rust issues? Should be able to scrap off grease around front passenger timing cover area to see if VIN stamp matches the car. The Muncie should have vin stamp on it as well. Most 400 GTO’s received the 10 bolt BOP rear. 455 cars got the Chevy 12 bolt this year. More than likely a M20 wide ratio and freeway gears as an A/C car.

Thanks for your feedback. I figured it wasn’t too rare. I’m not a fan of the new paint as well. I’m going to go check out the car in person to confirm the motor and trans. I figured it wouldn’t have a 12 bolt.

#9 ·
What state did the car come from? The plate is from the mid to late-70’s.

Is it just the clear coat that’s bubbling or is there any under the paint? With the paint issues, $25,000 is all it’s money, if there is no underlying rust. If there is, I’d walk away.

Steve R

I do believe it’s a CA car as the original owner is in CA

#7 ·
There was a really rare VOE, vacuum operated exhaust option on some early 70 GTO’s but GM cancelled that option quite early. There’s even an old promo commercial marketing the very feature. Believe it opened up a chamber on the mufflers for a raspy note?

Here’s the old commercial....found it!

#10 ·
There was a really rare VOE, vacuum operated exhaust option on some early 70 GTO’s but GM cancelled that option quite early. There’s even an old promo commercial marketing the very feature. Believe it opened up a chamber on the mufflers for a raspy note?

Very cool! I doubt this one has it, as it’s duel tips are in the trunk and not on the car.

#11 ·
If the paint issue is not related to either rust or poor prep I'd say for the price ( assuming it is negotiable) is not too far out of line. Now Im going to knock it down a few pegs. The interior and exterior colors are not the greatest. The exhaust tips are fugly along with the woodgrain dash. The exhaust is an easy fix. The dash not so much. Thank God the wood dash thing died a quick death.

#23 ·
The big round thing in front of the driver?

#22 ·
We use to see that here with the 71-72's. Not so much anymore. They have become just as desirable as other years for many.

I like that 70 GTO. Color and all. :thumbsup: I would not mind driving it. Better fix the a/c though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
I think those were similarly called an “Endura Nose” like what debuted on the 68 GTO. We’re supposed to take a small hit and pop back into place, or at least that was the marketing hype behind the material used.

Here’s that endura bumper marketing hype ad by Pontiac:
They seem a little too proud of that bumper.....LoL

Back when I was painting there was a special additive to add to the paint for the Endura gummy bumpers. It was supposed to make the paint a little more flexible.

#30 ·
Those are very nice cars to drive. They usually handle well with a little positive caster added. That price is too much for me but not out of line for that car.. If it had a body off it would be well over 50...

Some survey's say the 70 is the most popular. Just my opinion but I like the 66 and then the 65. I prefer clean, low chrome cars. As GTOs go I think the 66 has the best looking tail lights and rear end. It looks like the 64 Grand Prix which is the best looking car ever made as far as I am concerned..

Attachments

#35 ·
Like many have said, if it’s not a rust bucket, that’s a huge advantage. Even though it’s not a super rare ram air car, it’s still a car you don’t see everyday. In fact, I’ll guess ram air cars lived harder lives and got destroyed at faster rates?

For a stock Pontiac engine, the 400 is hard to beat. The 455 had virtually the same sized heads/ports and hp, but gobs of torque. Streetlight to streetlight a good running q-jet 400 Pontiac with. 2.52 1st gear and say a 3.55 or 3.42 rear gear will put a smile on your face.

There’s lots of little tricks to squeeze cheap power out of a 400 Pontiac d port motor. With stock “S” 068 cam, it’s all done by 4800-5100 rpm but will pull like a freight train to that point. One of the most fun cars I ever owned was a 1974 Formula 400 4 speed firebird. It had 1968 number “16” d port heads and an Isky solid cam similar to the Pontiac “S” cam. Lots of fun memories with that car in the high desert of SoCal, back in the 80’s when I was a dumb, broke, desert-rat kid. Oh those were good times.................!!! LoL

#37 ·
Must agree about the Pontiac motors. My 67 Ram Air GTO was hot stuff up to 5600 / 5700 RPM. Had 4.33's for a time then got my senses back and went to 3.55's Very happy with the 3.55's. A buddy of mine had a 68 GTO with a 400 running the RA IV heads and RA IV cam. For a street driven car the RA IV heads didn't impress me at all...my stock 67 Ram Air heads were more than adequate to push ya back in the seat. WATCH THE RPM whatever you do. My buddy cleaned out his bottom end (rod bearings I think) constantly pushing the 68 to 6100 or maybe 6200 hundred RPM. He always "learned by doing" if ya get my drift.

#43 ·
I used to work for HP in Roseville from 1998 to 2004. Was a great place back in the day. They moved my job to Houston Texas after they merged with Compaq. I could have kept my job and moved there but with 4 kids I took my chances to stay here. HP was the best place I ever worked. Not much left of it now in Roseville.

#48 ·
It's rare enough I see about 10 Chevelles for any GTO I see I paid $500 for my first GTO.

I would try to pay between 15-20.

Picked it up yesterday! My dad and I drove out to Raymond CA to pick it up. It’s a WT 400 350HP motor with a Muncie 4 speed, not sure if it’s a m20 or m21. I’m now the 3rd owner! The car came with a full vehicle history, original proteco plate and purchase invoice. The options weren’t listed on the receipt though. I drove it 200 miles and averaged 15mpg going 60mph.

#51 ·
IIRC one can tell an M20/21/22 by the last digit on the sequence that is stamped vertically on the midplate. A= M20 B= M21 C = M22.

#52 ·
Check that top for any bumps especially around the rear glass a the bottom.
What will you use it for?
Down here we have a week-long event once a year in October called Cruzing the Coast last year they had around 10,000 cars some from as far away as Germany!

https://cruisinthecoast.com/event-info/

#55 ·
Check that top for any bumps especially around the rear glass a the bottom.

What will you use it for?

Down here we have a week-long event once a year in October called Cruzing the Coast last year they had around 10,000 cars some from as far away as Germany!

https://cruisinthecoast.com/event-info/

That’s awesome! I’m probably going to drive it around for a while, clean up some rough spots and sell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.