What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 8:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1970 Pontiac GTO Estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
............ that car has worse wiring than a British car.
Reading that I might conclude you had (have?) a British car or perhaps a British motorcycle from back in the good old days. Lucas (Prince of Darkness) Electrical Systems !
69Chvll likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

I was told the AC system needs a recharge. What does that mean exactly? I canít imagine anything AC related with this car will be easy haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 4:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
I was told the AC system needs a recharge. What does that mean exactly? I canít imagine anything AC related with this car will be easy haha!

A/C work is not cheap. It's not cheap to be cool and not cool to be cheap.
oman and fr8dog like this.

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 5:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
A/C work is not cheap. It's not cheap to be cool and not cool to be cheap.

Ha! Well said. Iím throwing around the idea of vintage air if I get it.

post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 6:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Like many have said, if itís not a rust bucket, thatís a huge advantage. Even though itís not a super rare ram air car, itís still a car you donít see everyday. In fact, Iíll guess ram air cars lived harder lives and got destroyed at faster rates?

For a stock Pontiac engine, the 400 is hard to beat. The 455 had virtually the same sized heads/ports and hp, but gobs of torque. Streetlight to streetlight a good running q-jet 400 Pontiac with. 2.52 1st gear and say a 3.55 or 3.42 rear gear will put a smile on your face.

Thereís lots of little tricks to squeeze cheap power out of a 400 Pontiac d port motor. With stock ďSĒ 068 cam, itís all done by 4800-5100 rpm but will pull like a freight train to that point. One of the most fun cars I ever owned was a 1974 Formula 400 4 speed firebird. It had 1968 number ď16Ē d port heads and an Isky solid cam similar to the Pontiac ďSĒ cam. Lots of fun memories with that car in the high desert of SoCal, back in the 80ís when I was a dumb, broke, desert-rat kid. Oh those were good times.................!!! LoL

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 7:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Ha! Well said. Iím throwing around the idea of vintage air if I get it.

Stick with the original system....the air handling capability of the factory systems FAR outpaces aftermarket stuff IMHO. R12 is still available and R134 conversions are pretty much plug and play with a change in the POA calibration, addition of a parallel flow condenser and a replacement compressor. Getting the air running will likely necessitate new hoses no matter what ya do, Vintage Air will reguire new hoses so no matter what you chose you are likely in for new hoses. Adding r134 capable hose is the same cost as new hoses for VA or new hoses for the original system.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 9:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
Like many have said, if itís not a rust bucket, thatís a huge advantage. Even though itís not a super rare ram air car, itís still a car you donít see everyday. In fact, Iíll guess ram air cars lived harder lives and got destroyed at faster rates?

For a stock Pontiac engine, the 400 is hard to beat. The 455 had virtually the same sized heads/ports and hp, but gobs of torque. Streetlight to streetlight a good running q-jet 400 Pontiac with. 2.52 1st gear and say a 3.55 or 3.42 rear gear will put a smile on your face.

Thereís lots of little tricks to squeeze cheap power out of a 400 Pontiac d port motor. With stock ďSĒ 068 cam, itís all done by 4800-5100 rpm but will pull like a freight train to that point. One of the most fun cars I ever owned was a 1974 Formula 400 4 speed firebird. It had 1968 number ď16Ē d port heads and an Isky solid cam similar to the Pontiac ďSĒ cam. Lots of fun memories with that car in the high desert of SoCal, back in the 80ís when I was a dumb, broke, desert-rat kid. Oh those were good times.................!!! LoL
Must agree about the Pontiac motors. My 67 Ram Air GTO was hot stuff up to 5600 / 5700 RPM. Had 4.33's for a time then got my senses back and went to 3.55's Very happy with the 3.55's. A buddy of mine had a 68 GTO with a 400 running the RA IV heads and RA IV cam. For a street driven car the RA IV heads didn't impress me at all...my stock 67 Ram Air heads were more than adequate to push ya back in the seat. WATCH THE RPM whatever you do. My buddy cleaned out his bottom end (rod bearings I think) constantly pushing the 68 to 6100 or maybe 6200 hundred RPM. He always "learned by doing" if ya get my drift.
fr8dog and 69Chvll like this.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Stick with the original system....the air handling capability of the factory systems FAR outpaces aftermarket stuff IMHO. R12 is still available and R134 conversions are pretty much plug and play with a change in the POA calibration, addition of a parallel flow condenser and a replacement compressor. Getting the air running will likely necessitate new hoses no matter what ya do, Vintage Air will reguire new hoses so no matter what you chose you are likely in for new hoses. Adding r134 capable hose is the same cost as new hoses for VA or new hoses for the original system.

Cool! Thatís good to know. Iím going to do a quick diagnosis when Iím viewing the car.

post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks like a decent car. If it checks out solid and you are comfortable with it,I would negotiate that price for sure. Seems to be "all the money" IMHO and experience.
4 speed and a/c are a nice plus.
oman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Cool! Thatís good to know. Iím going to do a quick diagnosis when Iím viewing the car.

The 134 hose conversions are available "outta the box" check out the Classic Air Guys in Tampa. Recalibrate the POA is about 30 bucks. There is an aftermarket compressor made I believe by Sanden to replace the A6 currently on the car. Electrically plug compatible and it uses all the original factory brackets. Condensers might require a bit of fab work but it is pretty easy. Just did one for myself. If you buy the car and want to change it over to parallel flow I can show you pics of my conversion. If memory serves my new unit is 15 high by 30 wide. Tight fit, not something you throw in while drinking one beer but not all that hard either. Parallel flow condenser is not optional if you want max cooling with R134. In condenser land bigness is goodness so if you do this you might opt out of what is offered for a compressor by the folks in Tampa. Got mine on E-bay or Amazon for maybe $75. It ight be better to just buy just the hoses from the guys in Tampa and have them recalibrate the POA.

As mentioned earlier 4 Speed and the A/C is a REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y nice combo.

On another matter...I see you are in Roseville California. Is HP Roseville still there...worked for HP in Wallingford Ct and then Atlanta for 20+ years before retiring. Visited Roseville site once or twice.
69Chvll likes this.
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
The 134 hose conversions are available "outta the box" check out the Classic Air Guys in Tampa. Recalibrate the POA is about 30 bucks. There is an aftermarket compressor made I believe by Sanden to replace the A6 currently on the car. Electrically plug compatible and it uses all the original factory brackets. Condensers might require a bit of fab work but it is pretty easy. Just did one for myself. If you buy the car and want to change it over to parallel flow I can show you pics of my conversion. If memory serves my new unit is 15 high by 30 wide. Tight fit, not something you throw in while drinking one beer but not all that hard either. Parallel flow condenser is not optional if you want max cooling with R134. In condenser land bigness is goodness so if you do this you might opt out of what is offered for a compressor by the folks in Tampa. Got mine on E-bay or Amazon for maybe $75. It ight be better to just buy just the hoses from the guys in Tampa and have them recalibrate the POA.

As mentioned earlier 4 Speed and the A/C is a REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y nice combo.

On another matter...I see you are in Roseville California. Is HP Roseville still there...worked for HP in Wallingford Ct and then Atlanta for 20+ years before retiring. Visited Roseville site once or twice.

Thatís some great advice, thank you. I might be sending you a PM requesting your phone number to find out more information to make sure Iím correctly planning the repair.

HP does have a small division here! Itís shrank quite a bit, but theyíre still around for now. My dad is an electrical contractor, having worked on all the HP buildings out here. As a teenager I would work for him pulling wire and doing demo work. The HP Campus what huge!!!

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 4:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Thatís some great advice, thank you. I might be sending you a PM requesting your phone number to find out more information to make sure Iím correctly planning the repair.

HP does have a small division here! Itís shrank quite a bit, but theyíre still around for now. My dad is an electrical contractor, having worked on all the HP buildings out here. As a teenager I would work for him pulling wire and doing demo work. The HP Campus what huge!!!

Very sad what happened to what once was a GREAT GREAT company. Not perfect by any means but HP was almost an annual winner in the best companies in America to work for category. As things cycled down people "couldn't wait to get out". HP once offered an early out to a limited number of people ....they were to be chosen on a fist come first serve basis (first to request the early retirement package qualified until all the slots were filled). You applied online starting at midnight on a given day. I knew people who stayed up until midnight to press the "I want to retire early" button before the slots were all filled up. Sad Sad.

Glad to help on the A/C..... drop me a PM and we can either exchange info that way, or drop me an email and I will send ya pics of the condenser install or send me a PM with your Phone number.
69Chvll likes this.
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 12:44 AM
Tech Team
Rich

I used to work for HP in Roseville from 1998 to 2004. Was a great place back in the day. They moved my job to Houston Texas after they merged with Compaq. I could have kept my job and moved there but with 4 kids I took my chances to stay here. HP was the best place I ever worked. Not much left of it now in Roseville.
69Chvll likes this.
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 8:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF View Post
I used to work for HP in Roseville from 1998 to 2004. Was a great place back in the day. HP was the best place I ever worked.
Roger that, every word of it!
69Chvll likes this.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 9:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

It's rare enough I see about 10 Chevelles for any GTO I see I paid $500 for my first GTO.
I would try to pay between 15-20.
69Chvll likes this.

https://
href="http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/" target="_blank">http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/gregs_photo/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in