Willing to pay for help in valuing / opinion - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 6:31 PM Thread Starter

Willing to pay for help in valuing / opinion

I have a 72 Chevelle I traded for, I need some help on the fair market value and the best route to go on my motor build. (Which of my two options will be better to sell) if someone is willing to text me about it I would pay you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 8:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Post pictures here and I’m sure you will get some responses. More details on desired build would help too.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Problem is I have to buy the motor parts tomorrow for my builder. I didn’t know if anyone would reply by then. It’s the first car I’ve done and I don’t want to lose money on it. He wants to do a 650 hp on pump gas build. Will run 7k with labor. Another 600 to rebuild the turbo trans. It does come with a lifetime transferable warranty. If I go for just a regular factory rebuild (factory type specs) then it will be 4000. So my first question would be is doing the 600 HP build worth the extra $3000? Is that’s what people are looking for or would they rather have it closer to factory?

Here’s some info on car as I don’t have many pics. Restored inside and out. Only thing not done is the grill and some of the window trim. Great paint (brand new) no bondo etc. Blue with white stripe. This is a factory LS5 motor he would be building it to LS6 specs as it came with square port LS6 heads. Has aluminum intake. This is a factory SS 454. The block, trans and rear end are matching.

So I’m trying to figure out which engine build would suit me, and also once that specific engine is in the car with the inside and outside restored what I can expect ballpark to sell it for. The engine, trans, and rear ended are matching numbers the majority of the other engine parts are aftermarket.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 12:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Oliver

Re: Willing to pay for help in valuing / opinion

If it is an actual W code car (the fifth character in the VIN needs to be W) then I would suggest you will be better off keeping it as close to original as possible, especially with the "born with" engine, trans and diff. The engine mods you are considering will likely not help the value and will probably detract from what most people are willing to pay.

Those are my thoughts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 1:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

if it's really a numbers matching car, I think you'll find a lot more potential buyers willing to pay more for a stock type motor in a car. 600 hp sounds like fun, but a restored LS5 most buyers are looking for close to stock. That's just my opinion. jim
RAIDER SS and shovelrick like this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 1:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinions. My issue is it is kinda frankensteined right now. Wrong headers, wrong intake. Aftermarket lifters and cam, LS6 instead of LS5 heads. 3/8 pushrods and not 5/16. Different alternator. Wrong cylinders (not cast) different valve springs etc. You would put it closer to stock then build it up? It is a W car. What do those go for in say 9/10 condition? Interior is redone. Exterior is awesome and redone. Only thing not redone is some trans and brake lines, the grill, and the trim around the windows. Maybe a few other small things. Any idea on fair market value on one?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 9:25 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ed. Not trying to be a wise ass but if you are looking at recovering $$ in a sale you are in the wrong game. Especially if you don't do the work yourself. If you want to lose the least amount of $$ then sell the car as is without doing anything to it. Good clear pictures will get you estimates on value.
If you NEED an engine built then go the less $$ route. The more you spend the less you will recover.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 9:41 AM Thread Starter

I hear ya, I’m trying to just maximize what I make per say. I won’t lose money on it. Don’t wanna dump extra into it. It came to me with a bad cam and lifters so yes it needs to be done to run. I’m just looking for ball park answer on price. It just made sense for me to take the car. I could drop 10k into it and not technically lose but I want to make something.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 9:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Keep the extra $3,000 in your wallet, look on Ebay to see what 72 SS W code cars are selling for in your cars condition, not asking price and I agree with others a car like that is more likely to bring better $ in as close to original condition when it comes to the engine but nothing wrong with LS5 to LS6 specs, I had one in the 80's in a 73 elky

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 10:25 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edx2x View Post
You would put it closer to stock then build it up?

Yes. Absolutely.
LeoP likes this.

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 10:49 AM
Tech Team

just put a cam and lifters in it get it running and unload it. Another option is dump in a cheap used running tight big block motor from craigslist - then peddle out the LS6 parts and engine that is in there if its not matching. If youre only in this to maximize your profit you will shorten the spread in the end if you dump a ton of money in it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 11:23 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ed,
Is it a W code car? If yes then rebuild it fairly close to factory specs. Take that $3K and buy as many factory original engine components as possible. That will bring the best return.
427L88 and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Ed,
Is it a W code car? If yes then rebuild it fairly close to factory specs. Take that $3K and buy as many factory original engine components as possible. That will bring the best return.
So I wonder if it is a true W coded car?

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 1:10 PM
Gold Member
Gene

You dont need 650 hp. As said, best "reclaim %" is with a stock mill, not some hot rod mill you'll get less than 50/100 on. Ditch the LS6 heads, get ovals and a small-ish roller cam. Stock type build with hy roller.
blm likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 1:53 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I should have added... the best "bang for the buck" is likely an LS conversion, NOT a 650- HP BBC btw. How do I know, I am having a "stock" 600 hp rat built. An LS would likely fetch more if I sold. Almost guaranteed as this is non-matching 325HP car. May be different with a rare Chevelle, but not "just a 138- car". Again, YMMV!
Pat_McNeil likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in