• 2 Post By augy
  • 1 Post By Derek69SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 8:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Anybody know this 67 L79?

https://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Det...Model=Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Sport Sedan (project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 1:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Re: Anybody know this 67 L79?

No I don't Jeff, but it certainly got my attention!! Looks like a fantastic car, but a few questions are raised, especially for anywhere near that $$. I suspect it has some stories to tell!
Lots of pix but they could be waay better!
Block stamp looks ok but needs to have the paint removed for a better look. By coincidence the engine build date is the same as one of mine.

Why do these cars pop up when I'm jammed up for time? It's two hours from me.

Augy, where are you?? You have to know this car?!

A few '67s and a '66
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 19, 8:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Just saw this post this morning. Was very surprised to see the car is practically in my back yard. Never saw or heard of it before now. Just proves that so many of these cars are stashed away and NEVER come out of hiding. Ad says it's a 72 year old guy selling off his collection. Wonder what else he's got under those car covers.....

If anyone wants a closer look, I'm available.

Derek, have you ever heard of this one?
Pete 67 and Freddy Mercado like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 19, 1:21 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

If you are into stock survivors, this one is an amazing honey with the right stuff for stripped-down-go-fast. $129,000 is a ton, but you can't find such originality very easily if at all, plus that L-79 was ordered for the strip yet spared the indignities & breakage of all-out racing.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 19, 8:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Question Re: Anybody know this 67 L79?

Beautiful car for sure,while looking through the pictures I see in one of the pic's inside the left side of the trunk it looks like there is some type of filler panel between the trunk floor and the quarter panel. It looks like it was installed before the spatter coat was applied? Is this a "67" thing? Anybody(Jeff)seen this on a "66"? My "66" Fisher Body manual and AIM are down @my shop so I thought I'd ask while looking @ this post.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 19, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

I think what you are seeing is the trunk drop-off. Common to the 66's as well. They are welded to the trunk floor, and they fill in most of the gap between the trunk floor and the quarter panel. They also extend downward and are welded to the bottom most edge of the quarter panel.

They kinda create a "never-never land" where if something fell down into the small gap between the drop-offs and the quarter panel; it'll remain lost forever. I found all kinds of stuff in that area when I tore my '66 apart; a small screwdriver, pens & pencils, some nails and some screws, and of course a little spare change.
There is a small access hole leading into this "never-never land" area from the rear, but they have cap plugs over them. I suppose you could fish things out thru this hole if you needed to.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 19, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Looks like there are air shocks on the rear.??
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 6:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

I would like to know the story behind this car like Bill. The seat belts are not original. It looks like some painted under the car rear springs are black. Appears to be 2 quarter sized holes in the firewall. The oil fill tube is turned. The alternator rear upper support is painted black, should be orange. You would think the original exhaust would be on the car with only 8K miles.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 3:11 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I figure the low mileage & the strictly strip-oriented drivetrain (4.88s!), this car was probably fitted with some go-fast stuff then was put back to stock later.
Sure is a nice car for a purist. As Bob pointed out there are a few odds & ends to address if you are fussy.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 3:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
Derek, have you ever heard of this one?
Nope. Never seen that one before, and I don't recognize the garage either as being from any of the local collections I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm67 View Post
I would like to know the story behind this car like Bill.
The name on the Protect-O-Plate came up on Google that he passed away in 1996 at the age of 49. He would have been 21 when he bought the car. The ad shows a sheet saying it was bought from an estate, so I would guess the original owner kept it until his death.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...owell-j-larson

The name caught my eye, as I know someone else with the same name.
augy likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 8:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm67 View Post
The seat belts are not original.

What makes you say that? Look good to me, for a late car.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 9:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Picture #21 shows the blue / silver GM sticker on the door. I'm assuming this is correct for this '67.

Did they ever put this sticker on any late 66's, or was this something that was started in 67?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
Picture #21 shows the blue / silver GM sticker on the door. I'm assuming this is correct for this '67.

Did they ever put this sticker on any late 66's, or was this something that was started in 67?

Sticker is correct. Was NOT used on 66's.

Also note that some of the door latch screws still have blue paint on them, and the others show there used to be paint that has flaked off (and flaked over onto the door itself too). If this car were from any other plant, or built earlier, that would be a red flag for a repaint. However, the KC plant did start installing the latches (and screws) before paint some time before late June of 67. I have an unrestored original paint KC 67 SS that is 06E with painted latches and screws, and my KC 67 L78 elcamino is 07D and had original deepwater blue paint on the latches and screws (under the black repaint), with no paint or primer of any kind underneath the screw heads.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Great info., Jeff. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in