Garaged 70 SS, numbers match - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 8:18 PM Thread Starter
John

Garaged 70 SS, numbers match

Good evening every one.

I have 1970 Chevelle SS, number matching, that has been sitting in a garage for over 30 years, no rust. It did run when I moved it but needed new head gaskets. I started the project and have the engine back together but not fully assembled and just don't have the time, that was 5 years ago.

My questions are should I sell it as is or have it towed to someone who can complete it? If I do list it, any suggestions on where or what site to list it?

Thanks for your feedback.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 8:24 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Garaged 70 SS, numbers match

You would be much better selling it with it running.

Try listing it here first
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/358...e-classifieds/
Alan F, Steve R, blm and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 9:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

When it comes to 1969 & 1970 Chevelles in particular, being able to prove the vehicle's true SS pedigree with documentation such as a build/broadcast sheet, an original dealer invoice, warranty Protect-o-plate etc. will help establish value as many here will probably agree with. I am not an authority on 70's but have seen many heated discussions here whether a vehicle is an SS or not and it usually comes down to some sort of official GM documentation. Good luck and get that car running!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 9:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

May be expensive to have it put back together but would be well worth it. Cars in parts don't have too much value.
Engine, LS-5, LS-6, L-78 ? What month was it assembled in?
Steve R likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 10:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

I’d get it running. You will take a big hit since nobody can tell the condition of the other components such as transmission, rear end, brakes, electrical, cooling, and suspension. Any buyer will want to protect themselves against the possibility that there will be other expensive problems that need to be addressed.

Steve R
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

You could post some photos of it before disassembly and current condition. Show all the parts any documentation. Someone may be able to give you a value. Where in Ohio is it?
LeoP and slowmo55ss like this.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 12:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Where in Ohio? If close enough, I will gladly fix it or possibly take it off your hands.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 8:06 AM
Gold Member
Gene

You might get an assist though a Northern Ohio Chevelle Club member. But yes, running is best, for resale.

454 v 396 makes a HUGE difference in value.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 8:40 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Going rate for a regular shop to work on your car is about $100.00 per hour. So you might be better off to get someone on the side or do yourself. Some pics of the condition will help to determine the value. What kind of shape is the body in. How about the mechanicals such as suspension etc.You may want to weigh the cost of getting it running and driving against the hit you will take for a non running project. Documentation is great but if it is numbers matching it can be proof to being an SS.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 8:56 AM
Tech Team

I agree for a 1970 having some kind of Documentation proof helps.I honestly think there may be more clone cars around than surviving real SS cars.Most real ones are long gone to the junk yard years ago could be the case.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 3:53 PM
Gerry

U must have documentation to prove pedigree of your car. Personally, if U do not have the time to restore, sell it and let the car see the world.

Gerry
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 4:31 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Post some pictures here!!!
slowmo55ss and 12stones like this.

Freddy
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
John

Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciated the input, I have been out of the game for several years, in my youth I restored/parted/sold Chevelles, so I know enough to be dangerous but memories fade.

Attached are some pics, I haven't gone through the obvious places looking for the build sheet.

The car has literally been parked in the garage since '85 or '86, I started it and moved it about 7 years ago, and the coolant was pressurized, so I replaced the head gaskets and also had the heads cleaned and milled.

Thanks again,

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-16 17.33.50.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	598460   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-16 17.31.29.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	598462   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-16 17.31.14.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	598464  
azchevs likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

If the numbers match and the pad looks legit it's all you need to prove SS. Anyone that tells you different tell them to pound sand. Having a matching numbers trans is icing on the cake.

Don't destroy the pad by using sand paper or a metal instrument to remove grease or paint. Clean it up get a picture of it and post it here or pm me and we or I will look at it and give you an experienced opinion on your numbers.

You're probably looking at 15 grand not running. 20 running. 25 shined up cleaned and running and 30 if she's sweet. The more you put in the more you'll get out of it. Clean the interior shoot it up with armor all, replace the carpet and the interior should look decent from the pictures. Have it detailed and a little bit of cleaning under the hood with a little spray bomb action. She needs a little exhaust shop help too.

Where was the car built? Trim tag and/or vin code will tell us. Certain plants stashed their build sheets in certain areas. Maybe we can point the way.

By the looks of it, I could probably have it running in an afternoon.

Malibu door emblems? There's only one plant that did that. Your build sheet is probably glued to the back of the drivers' door panel, tucked into the rear sear springs or on top or the fuel tank. When you yank the carpet you might find one stuck to the underside of the jute. So approach it like a treasure hunter.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Levon

[QUOTE=DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Clean the interior shoot it up with armor all, replace the carpet and the interior should look decent from the pictures. Have it detailed and a little bit of cleaning under the hood with a little spray bomb action. She needs a little exhaust shop help too.

.[/QUOTE]

No ArmorAll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wreaks havoc on paint and windows. Sorry Dutch.

Soapy warm water does miracles.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in