350 ci engine
Performance aluminum Edelbrock intake
850 cfm Edelbrock carburetor w/ electric choke
Hurst racing shifter
Rebuilt Muncie M21 4-speed tranny
New Flowmaster exhaust system
Rebuilt 12 bolt posi rear end 3.73 geared
New suspension system (front and rear)
New brake system including brake lines (installed disks on front).
New power brake booster and master cylinder.
All new interior (seats, carpet, dash, headliner, etc.)
New grill
Custom paint one year old.
Cooper Cobra tires and old school new Cragar rims
New floor pan
New alternator
New fuel pump and fuel tank
Non-matching #'s
Car spent its life in western USA

Flawless paint, best way I can describe it is that its too nice to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chev1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	597692   Click image for larger version

Name:	chev2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	597694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chev3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	597696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chev4.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	597698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	chev5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	597700   Click image for larger version

Name:	chev6.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	597702  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 4:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1969 Chevelle - Worth?

Pics attached, forgot to add those.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 4:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Iíd be wary. There are several signs this car was done on the cheap or is a swapmeet special. The mismatched valve covers to air cleaners, rubber fuel line with plastic filter, if it is an 850 edelbrock thatís an odd choice to go on an edelbrock performer, alternator bracket, fan without a shroud, that wood steering wheel looks to be an economy version sold by Grant, it also appears to be missing the cover between the wheel and the head of the steering column. These are all little things, but they would have been easy and inexpensive to address while the car was being put together.

The seats and stripes are subjective, many people will like them, just as many wonít. The new paint may be a plus, but donít assume itís been done well just because itís straight and shiny. I live in California and have several friends that have bought cars with fresh paint that looked great but have deteriorated rapidly. There were warning signs like some of those I spelled out, but they bought into the nice looking paint jobs and overlooked red flags. Make sure you do your due diligence, itís your hard earned money thatís at stake. You are the only one involved in the transaction looking out for your best interests.

It also has manual steering, is that something you are willing to live with?

Good luck.

Steve R
71350SS, blm, b&b's69 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Steve R; Jul 7th, 19 at 4:38 PM. Reason: C

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 4:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Iíd be wary. There are several signs this car was done on the cheap or is a swapmeet special. The mismatched valve covers to air cleaners, rubber fuel line with plastic filter, alternator bracket, fan without a shroud, that wood steering wheel looks to be an economy version sold by Grant, it also appears to be missing the cover between the wheel and the head of the steering column. These are all little things, but they would have been easy and inexpensive to address while the car was being put together.

The seats and stripes are subjective, many people will like them, just as many wonít. The new paint may be a plus, but donít assume itís been done well just because itís straight and shiny. I live in California and have several friends that have bought cars with fresh paint that looked great but have deteriorated rapidly. There were warning signs like some of those I spelled out, but they bought into the nice looking paint jobs and overlooked red flags. Make sure you do your due diligence, itís your hard earned money thatís at stake. You are the only one in the transaction looking out for your best interests.

Good luck.

Steve R
Excellent points, once I see the car in person I'll know more. I'm just trying to get a price range fixed in my head to a least have a basis of negotiation. I know the striping is subjective, I like it, but then again the next guy may not. I'll for sure look closely at the paint and sheet metal.

This is one of the first cars I have looked at, but like anything else maybe that deal is the first one I look at or maybe it'll take months.
Steve R and 71350SS like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 12:49 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Either that car has a lot of paint or is skimmed with bondo. Look around the trunk opening. It just doesn't look right. I agree with Steve about the flipper special. I'd want to verify that it has a Muncie and not a Saginaw, what engine is in it, etc.
Honestly, unless you want that particular car, I think there are better examples to be had. My spidey senses are up! Don't subordinate your senses to shiney paint and wheels.
von, Steve R, BobFmTyler and 1 others like this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 7:55 AM

Its worth whatever you are willing to pay for it depending on what you expect out of it. If you are looking at it as an investment it needs to be cheap....really cheap. It will appreciate over time but a long time since its really nothing special.

If you want a driver and a good dependable, well put together car then it might be in the high teens to low 20's based on what I'm seeing. NOTE: cost to build that car is likely much higher and could be in the 30's or 40's depending on the quality of the components used and workmanship. I just built a 69 camaro and have more into it then it truly worth but its exactly what I want and I didn't build it to flip it. I'm starting a 68 Chevelle now that I'm going to build for my wife (big block, auto, air, PS/PB & power windows) but I have very little into the purchase so it might be a decent money maker if I decide to sell one day. Essentially I'm going to built it to keep but put a stupid price on it and if it sells great but if it doesn't who cares.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:03 AM

Forgot to add....that car looks pretty decent. Crawl under, over and through everything with a flashlight. Look in the trunk and up forward at the qtrs for signs of repair/bad repair. Look at the floor as well as the rear of the front fenders where typical rust occurs. Has the frame been rattle canned in an attempt to hide anything?
Fit & finish (gaps/alignment) of panels should be straight & even. Does it run good, shift well and stop good? Any leaks? All lights and components (radio, heater, gauges ect) work?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:57 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

"New custom paint" To me that spells proceed with extreme caution. What is the asking price on this car? I can say that I really don't care for the stripes as well as some of the other custom touches.
Can't understand why prospective buyers almost never mention the asking price?
Steve R likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 9:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
"New custom paint" To me that spells proceed with extreme caution. What is the asking price on this car? I can say that I really don't care for the stripes as well as some of the other custom touches.
Can't understand why prospective buyers almost never mention the asking price?
I have a number in mind, seriously doubt it'll fly. But you never know. He's asking $25k, but I have yet to see the car.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

First thing I noticed was the drivers door panel. If he was OK with that on his car after doing all thats involved, that shows me he didnt put must effort into things not showing, such as rust removal, proper painting prep, etc. New paint jobs are the cars that need super intense inspection. Might be a time bomb underneath. Maybe not, but be aware . If possible take a bodyman with you that knows his chit.
Steve R and blm like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

There are a lot of red flags with that car, with a lot of apparent corners cut -- there are then probably tons of "non-apparent" corners that have also been cut. 25K for that car is a high asking price, especially in this market.

Take a look at the car and see if you like it. If you like it, then absolutely get a professional to look at it in depth up on a rack. Make sure it's a classic car guy that knows these cars and not just any mechanic. It will be well worth the $100-300. That may sound like a lot of money, but consider your opinion two years down the road with a stack of receipts in front of you for the work that was necessary to make things right.

You also need a second set of eyes as your emotions will blind you. I once looked at an all original, pristine '66 Bonneville that was absolutely beautiful. I fell in love. Luckily, I spent the money to have a professional look at it. You know what he found? Rust bubbling through the white vinyl top. It wasn't hidden, but instead right out in the open. I was aware of such problems with vinyl tops, but had completely missed it in my inspection because I was so head over heels. When pointed out, the rust bubbles were so glaring that I almost accused the inspector of switching out the car for another, until the rational part of my brain pointed out the odds of finding another teal-on-teal with white vinyl top '66 Bonneville to use as an impostor.

Just based on the pictures, you could do a lot better for 15-20K.
Steve R likes this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 3:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

your being given some solid advise on this one from others...so not much for me to add other than I don't see a 25K car sitting there.
Pat_McNeil and fishhead like this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 3:37 PM
Gold Member
Gene

i recall one member here pulling newspaper stuffing out of a 'restored" ride..... I;ll give the 1977 advice I got from my boss when going to see a $1500 66 SS396, he handed me his mag tippewd scribe and told me to check all lower panels. i.e. ... BRING A MAGNET!

PS the 66 did not pass the test. Bondo queen.
Pat_McNeil likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 3:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

This is my best friend when on the hunt for another project car.

https://smile.amazon.com/ERAY-Thickn...s%2C201&sr=8-3
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 1:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Agree ... too many red flags and apparent corners cut on a quick flip car, this car is no where near $25K
NickeyChevelle and fishhead like this.

TC Member # 5462
70 Chevelle SS/396 4-Speed
DYNO RWHP: 364HP @ 5200 RPM / 426 Torque @ 3500 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in