1970 Chevelle SS Valuation - Estimate - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 6:17 PM Thread Starter

1970 Chevelle SS Valuation - Estimate

Good afternoon everyone.
New poster here and was hoping you can help me figure out an evaluation here.

I know evaluations will be subjective so I will try and post as much information as needed but i understand that valuations will still vary so for me to get the most honest valuation I will hold off on posting what the price of the car actually is.
A little background.
I was with my friend when he bought this car circa 1997 in California. The price of the car then was $13000 ( pretty high price for back then, he got it for $10000 though ). The car was a clean complete SS. Not a show car, but a pretty nice looking ride. 396/TH400. It was my friends daily driver until 2004 when he moved to Arizona and since 2005 the car has sat non-opd and not running.
Five years ago I went out to visit him, saw the condition the car was in and wanted to buy it from him. He wanted a little bit more than I wanted to pay but recently he has hit me up with an interest in selling at the price I originally offered. He has been getting cold feet though on the price and is having second thought so I thought I would post on here so we can agree to a fair price for both parties hopefully. Obviously he sees it as it once was and I see it as a car that has been sitting 14 years.
Here are a few details.
1970 Chevelle 396 SS
Pros
-As far as I know this is a real SS. I know without paperwork this is just talk though. He says he used to have the original sale sheet but no longer does. like I said, I was with him when he bought the car and I believe it to be real. Correct Suspension etc.
-I believe the car has the original engine - though I think one of the heads have been replaced before he bought it. I have not been able to get access to verify this for sure though.
-The car appears to be rust free from what I can see.
-The interior appears to be in much better condition than I expected. Vinyl is dirty and dusty, but still is soft and flexible.
-Original cranberry red, bucket seat, AC car.
-The car was always taken care of before it was parked and sat and was in great condition and complete.

Cons
-The car has sat 14 years without running.
-A rabbit had set up shop under his hood and chewed up a spark plug wire and a battery cable. Set up a nest on the intake. Air Cleaner has been on the whole time though.
-Mouse set up shop and as left droppings on the carpet. Set up a nest with some insulation. Wires look of from what I saw but I could not get a real good look or remove any of the dash components to fully check it out.
-Headliner needs replaced.
-The car most likely will need painted. It has a spot on the hood on one of the racing stripes that has always been a problem.
-A trailer scraped and slightly dinged the passenger fender during his last move.
-A 2x4 fell from a shed and slightly dinged the top of his car. Not to big but it's there.
-The front grill valance is cracked and will need to be replaced most likely or rigged up.
-The AC is there but was not working when parked and the Cowl induction flapper never was working.

Thanks for reading. I know it was a long post but I wanted to provide some decent information. If you have any other questions I will see If I can answer them. I want to hold off on giving the price for right now to get the most honest feedback, but I will provide those details later on most likely.

Thank you for any suggestions or feeback you think you can provide.
-Joe

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

][/URL]

[/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 6:40 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: 1970 Chevelle SS Valuation - Estimate

What is the asking price?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

It's a clone unless proven otherwise. Plus, the M/C is wrong for a real '70 SS. A '70 expert may correct me, but I believe the grill on a real '70 SS would not have the "Chevelle" name plate. Post up a picture of the Cowl Tag.

Is the "396" supposed to be number matching? Is the Tranny numbers matching?

There's plenty of other details that are wrong (and thus detract from a fair price), but the important thing is this: Don't pay real SS price for it.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 11:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
It's a clone unless proven otherwise. Plus, the M/C is wrong for a real '70 SS. A '70 expert may correct me, but I believe the grill on a real '70 SS would not have the "Chevelle" name plate. Post up a picture of the Cowl Tag.

There's plenty of other details that are wrong (and thus detract from a fair price), but the important thing is this: Don't pay real SS price for it.
Chevelle emblem on the grill is correct for a 70 SS. I'm in at 15 and prove matching numbers bumps it to lower to mid 20's if it's as rust free as it looks.
12stones likes this.

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Jun 17th, 19 at 12:15 AM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 11:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

it's a big block 70 chevelle, it's probably going to be priced in the 15to 18k range. incorrect mc a d other regular replacement parts doesnt really matter on a daily driver car. we shopped at checkers and autozone for replacement parts when these cars weren't collectable. Reacement parts was picked up at junk hards, swap meets and guys parting cars.
Any idea why it was parked? No matter what, the interiors always going to have that smell due to the critters, unless you replace everything, even pulling the dash and ductwork
car like this, get it running, flush the liquids etc, clean the interior and have fun with it. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
What is the asking price?
I want to hold off on posting the price he is asking before I get some estimates as I feel like that leads to sometimes a biased opinion. Him and I are at a difference and i would like to be fair about the evaluation. I will post the asking price in a few days though. What do you think it might be worth?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
it's a big block 70 chevelle, it's probably going to be priced in the 15to 18k range. incorrect mc a d other regular replacement parts doesnt really matter on a daily driver car. we shopped at checkers and autozone for replacement parts when these cars weren't collectable. Reacement parts was picked up at junk hards, swap meets and guys parting cars.
Any idea why it was parked? No matter what, the interiors always going to have that smell due to the critters, unless you replace everything, even pulling the dash and ductwork
car like this, get it running, flush the liquids etc, clean the interior and have fun with it. jim
My buddy just got lazy and stopped driving the car. Ran fine when he parked it but when he moved up to Arizona it was parked in the dirt, the AC did not work and he just started driving a new truck that he had bought along with his motorcycle. I was so sad when I saw it on my visit because he had always taken care of it and used to detail cars for a living. Thanks for your feedback and your advice is what I want to do with it. Change the fluids, get it running and drive her.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

We have always believed this to be an original 1 owner car before he bought it in 1997 but I can not confirm that. I tried to locate a block number but couldn't get access to it. Can you confirm where it would be located? I thought under the passenger side head or in the back near the oil filter. I removed the alternator to look near the head but did not see it and I could not get under the car where it was located.

Newbie question here but what is the M/C you are referring to? What else do you see that does not look correct?
Thanks in advance.
Here is the tag.
[/URL]
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 2:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Losing that original sales invoice is going to cost him (and you) some money.He should look a little better for that piece of documentation.On the front ledge of the cylinder block just in front of the passenger side cylinder head is where you will find the numbers that should match the last 5 numbers of the VIN.You should bring some carb spray or brake clean and some rags its probably covered with grease/grime/dirt/paint,don't use a wire brush unless its a small soft brass brush.
If there aren't any numbers up front there then look behind the drivers cylinder head on the ledge there. These numbers were cast in at the foundry and will definitely be there.Then use the same rags spray cleaner technique and take a picture if you can.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...p;d=1560644935

This should help.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 7:59 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

master cylinder for the brakes,
voltage regulators get changed, hose clamps, radiator, T-3 headlights, water pump, alternators etc.
when these parts were out back in the day, we would just head to the local parts house and trade in the original core for a rebuilt one. back then as long as it worked and fit we were happy. Today you can get the correct looking parts for a restoration. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 9:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

The tag shows bucket seats and started as cranberry red which is a good sign in my opinion. At least those 2 items weren't changed during it's history.

70 LS5 convertible
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Huge price difference if the motor matches or not (especially without the Build Sheet). Need to determine that first. Agree with Al on the price range assuming nothing horrible is hiding behind the paint.

Did you pull the numbers from the Tranny and Rear?

TC Member # 5462
70 Chevelle SS/396 4-Speed
DYNO RWHP: 364HP @ 5200 RPM / 426 Torque @ 3500 RPM
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 10:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
A '70 expert may correct me, but I believe the grill on a real '70 SS would not have the "Chevelle" name plate.
Consider yourself corrected 70 SS will have it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 11:02 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyyboyy View Post
I want to hold off on posting the price he is asking before I get some estimates as I feel like that leads to sometimes a biased opinion. Him and I are at a difference and i would like to be fair about the evaluation. I will post the asking price in a few days though. What do you think it might be worth?
Potential buyers almost never post the asking price. That makes no sense to me as many times the asking price is crazy high and sometimes half of what the car is worth. You have done a good job with the pics but pics ony go so far. The true condition is really only determined by a personal inspection.
Your posting of the asking price will not sway my opinion. I would guess in the $15K range. Personally I would not pay over $18K and that is considering people tend to pay more for 70s than they are worth. I am in the minority as I would not pay up for a 70.
Some sellers have seen way to many high dollar car auctions on televisions. They have no idea the cost it takes to correctly restore these cars. As an example if the paint on this 70 is too far gone and you cant restore that paint job you are looking at $12K- $25K just to repaint it.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:28 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Potential buyers almost never post the asking price. That makes no sense to me as many times the asking price is crazy high and sometimes half of what the car is worth. You have done a good job with the pics but pics ony go so far. The true condition is really only determined by a personal inspection.
Your posting of the asking price will not sway my opinion. I would guess in the $15K range. Personally I would not pay over $18K and that is considering people tend to pay more for 70s than they are worth. I am in the minority as I would not pay up for a 70.
Some sellers have seen way to many high dollar car auctions on televisions. They have no idea the cost it takes to correctly restore these cars. As an example if the paint on this 70 is too far gone and you cant restore that paint job you are looking at $12K- $25K just to repaint it.

I'm with you. The later model Chevelles I like the least out of all of them. Plus it's been sitting so long, who knows what needs to be replaced. I'm right in line w you on pricing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in