Experts here, need your inputs on 1971 SS Chevelle Value - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Experts here, need your inputs on 1971 SS Chevelle Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
Yes, steel is good, bondo...not so. OP did say original paint, however?
Yes, original paint and got ceramic coated. Will be checking for bondo.

Give me Chevy or give me death!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Cowl Induction was an option. Not all SS cars had it.
I;m so use to seeing cowls on ss, i thought all came with z15 option. Thanks for the info.

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I say go for it! Numbers matching is the most over used term in the industry. Say it had the original LS5 in it, but the cam, pistons, intake, etc was all changed. Would you be willing to put down another $10-15k for that? My car didn't come with the flapper either, but it's the original hood and it's an SS454.

Of course you'll need to take a closer look, drive it (or get a solid ride in it). Check for leaks or anything you will need to repair. Make sure it's not just a giant bondo job.

If it's as good as it appears, that car would sell up here for that price easily.
He says, 502 dyno'd around 430hp and it's easy on highway because of it has 3.23 rear. I will make sure to check every inch of the car this saturday and hopefull i have my high school ride back! Thanks.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I say go for it! Numbers matching is the most over used term in the industry. Say it had the original LS5 in it, but the cam, pistons, intake, etc was all changed. Would you be willing to put down another $10-15k for that? My car didn't come with the flapper either, but it's the original hood and it's an SS454.

Of course you'll need to take a closer look, drive it (or get a solid ride in it). Check for leaks or anything you will need to repair. Make sure it's not just a giant bondo job.

If it's as good as it appears, that car would sell up here for that price easily.

I agree... take a good look...

IMO, IF it is as good as it looks (big IF); nice paint, I am assuming no rust/rot or questionable repair jobs on the body, decent frame and runs and drives well, then $25k doesn't sound bad at all... Does it have a 12-bolt rearend?

Without paperwork to document it, it could just be a clone/tribute based on a Malibu anyway... But even so, it has the "SS" round pod dash, has the correct SS hood (as noted above, that is the standard SS hood, the "Cowl Induction" with the flapper was an extra cost option).

The hood stripes don't look correct to me (but I am not an expert).

But IMO, a nice, solid, running/driving, big block, bucket seat with SS gauges, etc for $25k asking, sounds reasonable...

As mentioned, the asking price is a starting place, and you can and should reduce your offers based on any issues you find...
Steve R likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker Sold
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwabbit703 View Post
He says, 502 dyno'd around 430hp and it's easy on highway because of it has 3.23 rear. I will make sure to check every inch of the car this saturday and hopefull i have my high school ride back! Thanks.
Hmmm...

Make sure you know how to identify a true Chevrolet 12-bolt rearend (and not a BOP with 12 cover bolts, etc)...

He could be mistaken, but 3.23 gear ratio was NOT offered in the Chevy 12-bolt... and ALL SS454 cars will have the 12-bolt rearend originally...

But that shouldn't make it a deal-breaker, just another place for negotiation... You can always buy a 12-bolt later if you desire...
-SS454- likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker Sold
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:23 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Theres a rosary hanging off the rear view; its good, buy it already.

So the folks over at chevellestuff.com can do an "expert inspection" for you via phone video for a fee. Or simply do what I did, find someone well versed in Chevelle's and take them along with you. Cost me a dinner certificate for him and his wife.

PS, the prior owner of my car "had 3.55 gears installed".... yeah no, try 3.31. Common mistake on gear ratios, but this is why someone well versed in these cars would be key to have along.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 6:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

May be an after market dash. Need better pictures. At the very least it has been rechromed and restored. International symbols on dash controls? Remote sport mirror and accompanying interior door panel control absent. This was standard on 71 SS.

Are the SS emblems on the door panels in the correct location??

Check rag joint, this will tell you if it had a big block originally. If it had a big block, it would have a 12 bolt rearend and turbo 400 trans. Small block got the turb0 350 trans. Learn to identify each by pan bolt pattern. Not all SS for 71 received a 12 bolt rearend. SS has f41 sport suspension, so it will have a large front swaybar, boxed rear lower control arms and a rear sway bar.

The pictures are pretty weak, but I would start by looking at the left lower front fender and door area. Looks a little funky.

Get a bunch of pictures and will tear her down for you. A picture of the bottom of the hood so we can see if it's a repop or original. This one appears to have that repop bend to it which makes it difficult to set to fenders.

Learn more here...https://www.chevellestuff.net/1971/71ss.htm

If you are on the hunt, buy one of these testers and try it out on your personal vehicle to get the hang of it. With this I can tell you if a panel was repainted or if there's bondo in the panel. I can have the entire car checked in 5 minutes. Well worth the investment if you intend to purchase a classic car. https://smile.amazon.com/AMTAST-Thic...%2C200&sr=8-15

If money is issue, this one does a pretty good job too. https://smile.amazon.com/allsun-EM22...s%2C200&sr=8-4

If the body is solid, $25,00 asking price is pretty good even if it's not an true SS.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Mechanic sold the engine is what i heard. Sigh. So 25K is good deal for SS without original motor?
The car looks pretty shiny, is it the original color or original paint? Also you need to get a definitive answer on the engine. Track Down the mechanic and see if he recalls who got the numbers 454 -- the detective work could be well worth the effort.
Steve R and riverwabbit703 like this.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Can you post a copy of the build sheet they sent you?

The work done and a claim of 56,000 miles with original paint donít exactly go together.

Try to not talk yourself into buying the car before you see it. I have several friends that bought muscle cars with shiny paint that were priced under the market. They were all dogs with fleas, they couldnít look past the paint and relatively low entry point to see obvious flaws and holes in the sellers story. This car may be a good deal, but it might not be either. I hope it turns out to be a nice car, but be willing to walk away if need be.

Steve R
riverwabbit703 likes this.

Last edited by Steve R; May 16th, 19 at 10:44 PM. Reason: S
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 9:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Can you post a copy of the build sheet they sent you?

The work done and a claim of 56,000 miles with original paint donít exactly go together.

Try to not talk yourself into buying the car before you see it. I have several friends that bought muscle cars with shiny paint that were priced under the market. They were all dogs with fleas, they couldnít look past the paint and relatively low entry point to see obvious flaws and holes in the sellers story. This car may be a good deal, but it might not be either. I hope it turns out to be a nice car, but be willing to walk away if need be.

Steve R
Here is the build sheet and protecto plate picture. It's aged so I couldn't get the all the numbers identified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0338.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	593888   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0350.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	593890  

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 9:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Hmmm...

Make sure you know how to identify a true Chevrolet 12-bolt rearend (and not a BOP with 12 cover bolts, etc)...

He could be mistaken, but 3.23 gear ratio was NOT offered in the Chevy 12-bolt... and ALL SS454 cars will have the 12-bolt rearend originally...

But that shouldn't make it a deal-breaker, just another place for negotiation... You can always buy a 12-bolt later if you desire...
Seller said he's uncle swapped the ring and pinion for 3.23.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
May be an after market dash. Need better pictures. At the very least it has been rechromed and restored. International symbols on dash controls? Remote sport mirror and accompanying interior door panel control absent. This was standard on 71 SS.

Are the SS emblems on the door panels in the correct location??

Check rag joint, this will tell you if it had a big block originally. If it had a big block, it would have a 12 bolt rearend and turbo 400 trans. Small block got the turb0 350 trans. Learn to identify each by pan bolt pattern. Not all SS for 71 received a 12 bolt rearend. SS has f41 sport suspension, so it will have a large front swaybar, boxed rear lower control arms and a rear sway bar.

The pictures are pretty weak, but I would start by looking at the left lower front fender and door area. Looks a little funky.

Get a bunch of pictures and will tear her down for you. A picture of the bottom of the hood so we can see if it's a repop or original. This one appears to have that repop bend to it which makes it difficult to set to fenders.

Learn more here...https://www.chevellestuff.net/1971/71ss.htm

If you are on the hunt, buy one of these testers and try it out on your personal vehicle to get the hang of it. With this I can tell you if a panel was repainted or if there's bondo in the panel. I can have the entire car checked in 5 minutes. Well worth the investment if you intend to purchase a classic car. https://smile.amazon.com/AMTAST-Thic...%2C200&sr=8-15

If money is issue, this one does a pretty good job too. https://smile.amazon.com/allsun-EM22...s%2C200&sr=8-4

If the body is solid, $25,00 asking price is pretty good even if it's not an true SS.
Does vin number and on fisher body tag suppose to match? It's different:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0322.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	593892   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0338.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	593894  

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

I did some research on 731 trim tag and it says jade interior, this car has black. hmmm

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 11:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
I did some research on 731 trim tag and it says jade interior, this car has black. hmmm
Dark jade looks almost black. The belts look green.

70 LS5 convertible
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Iím on my phone, so the screen isnít large, but I didnít see a VIN number on the build sheet.

Steve R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in