4Likes
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 1 Post By RAIDER SS
  • 2 Post By RAIDER SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 8:42 AM Thread Starter

1966 Chevelle

Hello all,

I am going to look at this Chevelle this weekend and looking to get some input on it regarding the price. The individual that has it posted is asking 8k obo for it. States that it runs and drives. That is pretty much the extent of the ad. Individual states that it is posted for an elderly gentleman that is looking to sell it, so he does not have much info on it. Talking with family members, they state that 5k is what they would pay for it.

Any input?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54524782_10219127340882807_168199401871769600_n.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	591786   Click image for larger version

Name:	54522767_10219127341042811_2567925813445918720_n.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	591788   Click image for larger version

Name:	54519857_10219127340642801_9123298796346802176_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	591790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	591792  

Click image for larger version

Name:	54799150_10219127340442796_3487285050876100608_n.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	591794  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 9:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: 1966 Chevelle

If solid and drivable, under 10K seems like it is always a good deal to me, for a 2 door. The pillar coupe with vinyl roof does look unusual to me, I kind of like it.
Blown1932 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 10:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

First of all - you know it is not a Super Sport, right? Yes it has a SS hood, but that's it.

Secondly - Since you are in the market for a Chevelle, is a non-SS 2 door post car what you really want? Because if it's not the model Chevelle that you really want, you have to ask yourself if your heart and wallet be completely into the work its going to take to bring this car up to your vision of your future classic car.

For me - "selling for an elderly gentleman" sends a red flag. How many "elderly gentleman" own a car modified like this, unless the gentleman owned the car since he was 16..... To me this sounds more like an excuse to not have any background info on the car.

There are obvious signs of paint peeling on the car; cowl, front of hood, top of core support. Since it has had at least one repaint and its peeling; I would bring along a magnet to see if there are large pockets of bondo in the usual places. Not that that's a deal breaker, but must be considered depending on your plans for the car. Look under the car. This usually gives away if this car lived in the rust belt or in a dry climate.

As a general opinion; I would say if this is the model car you want for your classic ride - and you could buy it for 5K - 8K... look it over in more detail because it ~may~ be the car for you!
Steve R likes this.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
First of all - you know it is not a Super Sport, right? Yes it has a SS hood, but that's it.

Secondly - Since you are in the market for a Chevelle, is a non-SS 2 door post car what you really want? Because if it's not the model Chevelle that you really want, you have to ask yourself if your heart and wallet be completely into the work its going to take to bring this car up to your vision of your future classic car.

For me - "selling for an elderly gentleman" sends a red flag. How many "elderly gentleman" own a car modified like this, unless the gentleman owned the car since he was 16..... To me this sounds more like an excuse to not have any background info on the car.

There are obvious signs of paint peeling on the car; cowl, front of hood, top of core support. Since it has had at least one repaint and its peeling; I would bring along a magnet to see if there are large pockets of bondo in the usual places. Not that that's a deal breaker, but must be considered depending on your plans for the car. Look under the car. This usually gives away if this car lived in the rust belt or in a dry climate.

As a general opinion; I would say if this is the model car you want for your classic ride - and you could buy it for 5K - 8K... look it over in more detail because it ~may~ be the car for you!
Yea! I know its not an SS. The whole post no post thing does not really matter with me. I know there generally seems to be more value for a non-post car. I know this sounds absurd, but I am not in the market to really turn a profit on something. I honestly just enjoy working on cars. My grandfather has tried to drill the mentality of putting in time and effort into something you would get your money back on, but again, I just like wrenching.

This car is located in the Northeast so I am expecting rust. My grandfather was a body man for the majority of his life so the rust and paint we can fix.

Thanks for the input!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 12:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
This car is located in the Northeast so I am expecting rust. My grandfather was a body man for the majority of his life so the rust and paint we can fix.
Having a grandfather who was a body man is an AWESOME advantage when buying a car that not many can say! Make sure he goes with you to inspect the car in order to take full advantage of his advice and expertise!
blm and davewho1 like this.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 9:01 AM
Tech Team
Michael

pay no more than you have to, and check for rust under the vinyl, decent driver but beware
price of parts are extremely expensive
Good luck
Michael

67 Chevelle
540 +
tremec 6 speed
= lots of fun

You might not be the best lookin girl here, but beauty's only a light switch away.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 9:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Not bad. There's rust on the top of the heater box, so I would say it has sat outside a lot. Look in trunk under the rear window for rust.

Wiring under hood looks messy, it has been spliced/fixed several times. Expect to do some work there as well.

Bench seat, less desirable to most, but to put buckets in it, you'll spend $1k. Think it thru, it MAY BE worth 8k, I'm thinking slightly less.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
It's still a Family affair!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I'm not sure interior pieces are available for the 300 series cars, are they?

66 Malibu
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 9:50 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I don't think the asking price is too bad unless there is way more rust than the pictures show. Think I would definitely take your grandfather along. If you cN get for a little less than asking then makes it a better deal. Believe you will get your share of wrenching so you will be happy. Would look much better without the vinyl roof. It appears to be a complete car and people get $5k for basket cases.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 6:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
pay no more than you have to, and check for rust under the vinyl, decent driver but beware
price of parts are extremely expensive
Good luck
Michael

Oh yea. Know this 100 percent. I am transition from the 4x4 world and currently have a '79 Firebird as a side project. Well aware of how things can get out of hand quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Not bad. There's rust on the top of the heater box, so I would say it has sat outside a lot. Look in trunk under the rear window for rust.

Wiring under hood looks messy, it has been spliced/fixed several times. Expect to do some work there as well.

Bench seat, less desirable to most, but to put buckets in it, you'll spend $1k. Think it thru, it MAY BE worth 8k, I'm thinking slightly less.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yea, the plan is to upgrade the wiring harnes to the blade style of fuses anyway, so already planned a new harness. I have been researching buckets and they do look like they are up there in price. This thing will not be an overnight build so I will have time to save up for stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I don't think the asking price is too bad unless there is way more rust than the pictures show. Think I would definitely take your grandfather along. If you cN get for a little less than asking then makes it a better deal. Believe you will get your share of wrenching so you will be happy. Would look much better without the vinyl roof. It appears to be a complete car and people get $5k for basket cases.

Deffenitly going to be removing the top. I was origonally wanting a white car but the paint code is Mist Blue, so decisions there.

Thanks for the replys thus far. We are going to be picking up the car once the owner locates the title. It does need ALOT of work but will be a slow process.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 7:51 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post

. I was origonally wanting a white car but the paint code is Mist Blue, so decisions

White is not a.popular color but I love it. Top three color IMO. As far as blue paint code goes I would only concern myself with the original paint code if it was an otherwise numbers matching car or your intention was to restore it as it was when it rolled off the assembly line. If neither then paint it whatever color you desire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in