Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: 68 Convertible in Raleigh

$1500 as parts

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 1:58 AM
Senior Tech Team

The seller is dreaming. Itís a parts car, definitely worth more than $1,500.

Steve R

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 7:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Wow that's a tough one! Not sure what you see above $1,500 though?

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 7:46 AM
Tech Team
KEITH

There are a ton of parts on that car. Just think of how much it would cost to get an original door, fender, grille assembly, hood, seats, dash pod, engine/transmission, convertible top assembly, seatbelts the list goes on . way more than $1,500.00 in parts there. It could probably still be fixed, its just the typical rusted sheet metal that needs replacement. Looks like the hit on the side was above the frame. Still not worth the asking price, but still has value.
Steve R likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 9:48 AM
Tech Team

The cowl is bent pretty bad and the frame rail next to the rear quarter panel. definitely fixable but might not be worth it if an insurance company paid off on it and has it listed in the salvage database which the craigslist add says title salvage. top dollar is about 3-4k in parts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 9:51 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Wow that's a tough one! Not sure what you see above $1,500 though?
Have you ever parted out a complete car? There are tons of small miscellaneous parts such as brackets, trim pieces, interior pieces and AC pieces that bring between $20-60. Everyone focuses on more exoensive items, but at the end of the day, when you ad up what sells at a swapmeet the bulk of the money comes from these sort of items.

Steve R
shovelrick likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:07 AM
Tech Team
KEITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuss67 View Post
The cowl is bent pretty bad and the frame rail next to the rear quarter panel. definitely fixable but might not be worth it if an insurance company paid off on it and has it listed in the salvage database which the craigslist add says title salvage. top dollar is about 3-4k in parts.
I don't see anything in the ad about a salvage title. The fact that it is not at a insurance auction lot makes me think that insurance was not an issue, or maybe it just had a liability policy. I go to the insurance auctions all the time. The big three companies sell in one lot all together. Their is three different catagories for titles. Clear, salvage, and branded. Branded cars. An not be fixed. I buy cars that the insurance companies total all the time with a clear title. Some of them will not even show up in a car fax report. It all depends on the adjustor and how much effort they want to put into the car. So this car may have a clear title. The ad in the link says very little. That said I don't think I would fix it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 1:06 PM
Tech Team
Will

I canít imagine anyone paying anywhere close to that, but who knows. That would be a great parts car for someone trying to resurrect a shell. Itís an AC car, and those vents and duct work should sell for 500+ on eBay. All of the convertible parts I am sure are worth pretty good too. I would think as a parts car, 2-3k should be attainable. If you could find someone trying to restore a convertible missing everything, maybe 4-5k if the parts are in good shape. I canít see 12 grand. There arenít enough available parts to make it economical to fix that one, and I would think that the demand for those convertible parts are a niche too. On top of everything, itís a 68. I love my 68, but 68ís definitely donít command as much of a premium as other years.
Steve R and shovelrick like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 8:14 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Wow!!! She's hurt bad!!!

Freddy
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 8:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

It's a complete car but not an SS, IMO the seller would do better parting it out...? 307 pg car?
Steve R likes this.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

OUCH! Somebody got grounded for a l-o-n-g time!

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 10:30 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

If someone wants to take the time to dismantle the entire car, catalog all the parts, advertise them, ship and or deliver them, deal with a few flakes and yes get some of his time wasted them yes there is way over $1,500.00 sitting there but to sell as a whole not much over that price.
shovelrick and Hotwire like this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 7:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

These cars are worth more as parts than whole. But how much time will it ake to dismantle the entire car and how long will it take to sell all of the small parts? I still have small odds and ends from cars I cut up 25 years ago. Like Presidnet Trump used to say on The Apprentice, "Time is money Kwame."
VinceS427bb and Hotwire like this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 19, 10:00 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77keith View Post
I don't see anything in the ad about a salvage title. The fact that it is not at a insurance auction lot makes me think that insurance was not an issue, or maybe it just had a liability policy. I go to the insurance auctions all the time. The big three companies sell in one lot all together. Their is three different catagories for titles. Clear, salvage, and branded. Branded cars. An not be fixed. I buy cars that the insurance companies total all the time with a clear title. Some of them will not even show up in a car fax report. It all depends on the adjustor and how much effort they want to put into the car. So this car may have a clear title. The ad in the link says very little. That said I don't think I would fix it.
Sorry but if you look at the right side of the add in the information bar title status clearly says salvage so that indicates to me that an insurance company must have have paid off on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in