LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Re: '66 ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
but kuddios to them for having the head light extensions painted correct
I agree, and it is AMAZING how many restored SS cars have this wrong.

I have absolutely no issues with cars that are not pure factory correct. I know it takes an extreme amount of effort to put everything back to factory. I'm just not going to pay top dollar for a SS car that isn't factory correct.
HKalin likes this.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
I agree, and it is AMAZING how many restored SS cars have this wrong.

I have absolutely no issues with cars that are not pure factory correct. I know it takes an extreme amount of effort to put everything back to factory. I'm just not going to pay top dollar for a SS car that isn't factory correct.
it doesnt take that much more effort to make it look appear correct sometime it might take more money to make it correct. just like the power steering set up in the car in question. the way the car is, is the CHEAP way out. does it work yes. but the correct set up is available from all the vendors and looks so much better don't use use the cheap way out and then ask correct money for the car
HKalin and cheveslakr like this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 10:56 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Don't really think that is madeira maroon. Looks more like a firemist red. whats with the fram oil filter-doesn't he know better.
Seems a little steep for what it is. How's low 30's sound.
HKalin likes this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

To MFortie:

Ask all off the "negative" posters to show you their cars and how much they have invested in them.

To be fair; some of their remarks about "incorrect" are valid.

However, the comment: "Severely fluffed and pXXX poor work throughout" is way out of line. That car has some high quality work in many of the critical and high cost areas. Geez, I'm even experiencing floor pan envy.

Allow me to break down the relatively minimal costs to achieve the "correctness" that some have pointed out...IF That is what you want to achieve.

1. Seat Medallions - $35
2. Lower grille panel paint - $135 paint and labor
3. Quarter panel rocker moldings - $125
4. Power steering - $375 parts and labor ( probably more than that because the aftermarket "correct" brackets DO NOT fit without re-fabrication.
5. Third brake light - Remove and replace package tray if necessary - $60 parts and labor.
6. The advertised Madiera Maroon paint is inaccurate. It looks like PPG Aztec Bronze to me. SO WHAT?????? Do you like the color?
7. The advertised TH400 is inaccurate. It is a TH700R4 AND...AND it has the modified shifter to accommodate the change. I see this as an overall positive!!!!!

You may well ask: What are my credentials? and Why should you believe me?

See my thread: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-...-66-aztec.html

I can attest to the total cost of restoring a car to the level of the one you've identified and the restorer probably has well over $45k in it.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 1:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Corey like I said the stuff that is not correct is cheap but that is the stuff we can see. If they cut corners there where else did they? We all know shinny paint hides a lot

I am more then happy to show them pictures of my car and I have less then half of the asking price of the car in question in it

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 1:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Not trying to be negative, but when a car comes up and the OP is asking for insight, do we focus on the positives only?
Severly fluffed means the builder cobbled in the floor patches, didn't install the seat medallions, didn't finish the repro trunk pan correctly, didn't properly gap the front clip, body/paint is driver quality, as is most of the work. Look closely at those floor pans, see the goop applied at the welds and probably even at some rust through? No reason for any of that to remain unless the builder just didn't care or wasn't going for a quality build. I see this quite often. It's usually due to the owner tackling all aspects of the build until it comes to body/paint. At that time it goes to someone with skills and it costs serious money. This is where you have the proverbial "lipstick on a pig".
It's got the passenger side alternator, a little pricey to fix. Gaps on the fenders to cowl are way too wide, meaning the door hinges aren't properly aligned.
Yeah, this is all negative but all needed to negotiate an accurate appraisal.
Perfectly okay for a driver which should be priced accordingly, maybe $30-$32k.
Dealer's asking $45k and the owner may just have that much into it, who cares?
All these things are not simple fixes, the car will likely never see an upgrade to number 2 status, it'd simply require tearing it down completely.
So it's stuck at a number 3 driver car.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

The dealer is not advertising the car as any kind of correct restoration. It's just a nice looking Chevelle that just happens to be a 138 car.

The car is worth what someone will pay for it. I think that would be around $30,000. You know the dealer is not going to go that low.

But someone will buy it, and enjoy it. And I doubt they will stay awake at night worrying if they got a "deal".

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Thanks guys. This is the kind of detail I was hoping for. While I really like the color (more importantly, so does my wife), I questioned whether it was the correct Madeira Maroon - the dealer assured me it was, but I still have my doubts.

I also watched the video and was suspicious about the edges of the floorpans - thought I saw rust and even the pics seem to show quite a variation between the edges and center of the pan panels.

I wish I could find some of these <$30K cars. My searches come up with cars mostly north of $40K. Heck, RK Motors in Charlotte, NC has a beautiful 66 listed for $68K! Night and day difference between it and the Hanksters car though. Contrast that to the Butternut Yellow at Streetside (Charlotte) listed for $40K that looks fairly correct (at least to me) but with a more rusted undercarriage.

BTW, Im bringing up cars in Charlotte because Ill be there next week for a training class and hope to get out early enough one afternoon to actually go see these cars.

Mark
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

staying away from dealers will help you check book
1966_L78, davewho1, rjt427 and 2 others like this.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 2:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
staying away from dealers will help you check book
I think that's the big issue here... A dealer is in business to make a profit. They also need to pay the rent and utilities, detail and advertise the cars, and leave some room for negotiation... So naturally, the dealer is going to be higher priced...

Think about it, the dealer either bought the car for much less, or its on consignment with the owner accepting much less, OR the dealer pulled so quick and questionable repairs...

Its irrelevant what the car would cost to build, because almost every quality car is going to have a value well below the restoration costs.

The flip side of dealing with dealers high prices, is finding an individual selling a car. Still could be issues, still could be looking for the high profit, but you may also find one of these cars at a price the dealer would buy it for...

Honestly, have you considered an auction? Maybe not Barret-Jackson (their reputation often boosts the prices), but a lot of "nice" drivers sell at prices well below the dealer prices. Actually, a lot of dealer buy at the auctions...

Based on the pictures, I'd say that is nowhere near Madera Maroon... Much closer to Aztec bronze... of course, the dealer can only tell you what he has been told...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 7:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

We all can knock these cars find this and that wrong with them but how many that are making these comments own something that is 100% right. If your paying big bucks the car better be nice all the way thru. But how many of us have that kind of money or want to buy something like that and just place it in the garage and never drive it. Personally I like this car better because it's a 4 speed but I could pick it apart too. One big thing I see is the seat covers just don't seem to be aztec bronze but also look like they might be leather and they used the closet match they could find to make them up. Another thing it has a truck bellhousing on it and also looks to have the wrong PS set-up on it. I don't know what these cars are selling for but there isn't many that are halfway decent being advertised below $40K.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Chevro...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 7:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

auction season is just around the corner in Scottsdale. they should be listing cars now or pretty soon so you can get some preview done. barrett's mecums Russo and steel I believe all have auctions the same time. barrett's probably get the most publicity and probably prices are higher but the other 2 might find you a car in your price range. Also you'll be able to look at a ton of cars during the week instead of flying and driving all over the country. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 8:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
auction season is just around the corner in Scottsdale. they should be listing cars now or pretty soon so you can get some preview done. barrett's mecums Russo and steel I believe all have auctions the same time. barrett's probably get the most publicity and probably prices are higher but the other 2 might find you a car in your price range. Also you'll be able to look at a ton of cars during the week instead of flying and driving all over the country. jim
I've heard a lot of cars that are at these auctions aren't as nice as you think they are even though they sell for higher prices.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 9:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I've heard a lot of cars that are at these auctions aren't as nice as you think they are even though they sell for higher prices.
lip stick on pigs come to mind.

there are some decent cars for sale by owner. so keep looking and the right car will pop up and start to network in car clubs

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 9:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Thanks guys. This is the kind of detail I was hoping for. While I really like the color (more importantly, so does my wife), I questioned whether it was the correct Madeira Maroon - the dealer assured me it was, but I still have my doubts.

I also watched the video and was suspicious about the edges of the floorpans - thought I saw rust and even the pics seem to show quite a variation between the edges and center of the pan panels.

I wish I could find some of these <$30K cars. My searches come up with cars mostly north of $40K. Heck, RK Motors in Charlotte, NC has a beautiful 66 listed for $68K! Night and day difference between it and the Hanksters car though. Contrast that to the Butternut Yellow at Streetside (Charlotte) listed for $40K that looks fairly correct (at least to me) but with a more rusted undercarriage.

BTW, Im bringing up cars in Charlotte because Ill be there next week for a training class and hope to get out early enough one afternoon to actually go see these cars.

Mark

Mark, I sent you a PM (Private message)

Bruce

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

SOLD!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 398 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.