1967 Restomod sells for $84K while a true... - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

153Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 18, 3:55 PM
Tech Team
Dwayne

Thumbs up Re: 1967 Restomod sells for $84K while a true...

Reading all the good or bad differing opinions makes me think,.. double edged sword. A bit of frustration and melancholy. At the end of the day no matter what your feelings about the topic are, most of us have lived in a great time period and owned a lot of cool cars, when they could be bought cheap. I feel sorry for the youngster of today, who by a "miracle" happens to like old cars, they $imply are out of reach for them. I am happy and consider myself, BLESSED!
HandOverFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 18, 5:25 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Re: 1967 Restomod sells for $84K while a true...

It's because you can actually use a restomod/pro touring car as a normal car in todays traffic.

The BJ thing reminds me of last year. We went to BJ New England last year. We were planning on taking our newer mustang, but at the last second we got to the garage and said screw it let's take the chevelle. 700 miles round trip, doing 80 in the fast lane no issues. That's what modern suspension, brakes, OD and fuel injection will do for you.

Guys casually looking for a car to drive will always choose the restomod cars vs. the numbers collectors. BJ attracts more of the casual interest types with money to burn.
Clint44, oman, Steve R and 1 others like this.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
post #48 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 18, 9:01 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
It's because you can actually use a restomod/pro touring car as a normal car in todays traffic.

The BJ thing reminds me of last year. We went to BJ New England last year. We were planning on taking our newer mustang, but at the last second we got to the garage and said screw it let's take the chevelle. 700 miles round trip, doing 80 in the fast lane no issues. That's what modern suspension, brakes, OD and fuel injection will do for you.

Guys casually looking for a car to drive will always choose the restomod cars vs. the numbers collectors. BJ attracts more of the casual interest types with money to burn.
I've got a 66 mustang project going on right now. It's getting an 5.0 HO roller w/AOD and the big disk brake upgrade. You won't be able to tell from the outside and she'll be much more drivable.

People love the look, but how many of us really care if the engine is a 50 year old original or a modern corvette motor?

The other issue is look at the cost of a nice modern car. Isn't a high end SUV some 50K?

Why not spend that on a reworked classic? You put in the engine/trans you want, all the modern things but have the old school styling.

post #49 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 18, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Like em all to a point, just build it the way you want. Believe me come sell time youll hear every line of 'yeah but' in the book no matter how its done up so dont waste your time wondering about "that guy"

Quote:
Worse, maybe, is the distain they have for anything that is not original.
dont even get me started on that crowd holy sheesh... the cars are fun but ea time Ive owned one the same geeks have to run their mouth every time they get a chance like they are an NCRS judge. Must be henpecked as a mofo LOL

Sure its here too but not too overpowering..Camaro forum is ok.....either LS or # correct not many guys building radical stuff.
Just dont knock a guy cause hes doing something different and you somehow think it affects YOUR resale thats insanity .
There I feel better now

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 18, 2:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

If it's the black 67 Vert w/6spd trans and 17" wheels it was built by my buddy. There are times (at auctions) when perfect running cars mysteriously develop issues while in the parking lot. That car ran quite well when it was delivered to BJ. No, there was no money lost selling the car at 84K. Not saying another word about it other than it was a very nice car.
BTW, any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it right now.
chevymaher likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle

bored small big block
performance to be determined.
91 octane special.
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 18, 11:37 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Have to agree with some I'm 48 and defiling a numbers matching car as we speak and building it my way. If the big 3 would of put vin # on every piece of sheet how many all numbers matching cars would there be. Sure your engine/trans matches the vin but does the body after you replaced half the sheet metal. Build it your way it your money and car
post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 18, 7:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I've got a 66 mustang project going on right now. It's getting an 5.0 HO roller w/AOD and the big disk brake upgrade. You won't be able to tell from the outside and she'll be much more drivable.

People love the look, but how many of us really care if the engine is a 50 year old original or a modern corvette motor?

The other issue is look at the cost of a nice modern car. Isn't a high end SUV some 50K?

Why not spend that on a reworked classic? You put in the engine/trans you want, all the modern things but have the old school styling.
Some of those Mustang guys will drop dead if they see your car. They can be as bad as the Vette guys. I had a 65 and some of those dudes are flat out crazy.

Mustang Man: "I went to a junkyard and bought a bumper for $300 and then had it re-chromed for another $1000 so the little numbers inside of it that no one can see would be date correct"

Me: "I bought mine from a catalog for $100. I think it's Chinese"

Mustang Man: "GASP! CHOKE! BLASPHEMER! HERETIC!"

I'm 51 and never understood the numbers thing either. I guess I understand it if you compete for trophies or something, but wow. My little pieced together Mustang ran like hell and looked just like theirs on the outside.
It was just a lot faster, drove better and was safer to drive.

I was even in the MCA for a couple of years until I figured out that those guys hate anybody that doesn't conform to their way of thinking.
Clint44, oman, KarlJay and 1 others like this.
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 18, 12:23 AM
Team Member
John

Garage

I'm 65, and have a pile of cars over the years. I like a more or less "stock appearing" but upgraded vehicle. My Elco is pretty much stock except for a Holley Sniper and an updated stock appearing A/C. I do have more ideas for upgrades but I am working other projects currently. My 65 GTO is not the original engine, but it appears original. I have upgraded the suspension to tubular front and rear setups, 4 wheel disk brakes, electronic ignition, hydraulic clutch, etc. It does have headers, and a 66 Tri Power setup with a 65 water neck, and other mods. Again, I am going for the original appearance, and unless you are a hardcore guy, it looks pretty "stock" but drives much better.
Bottom line is for the majority of us here, this is a hobby, enjoy your hobby, build it the way you like and ENJOY!
LKN BCK and davewho1 like this.

70 El Camino SS 396/TH400
67 Cutlass Supreme convert LS3/4LE85
65 GTO convert Tri Power 4 speed
65 Corvair Corsa Crown Conversion (Mid engine 350)
05 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
06 GTO 6 speed
11 Honda Accord 6 speed coupe
14 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited
post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 18, 3:28 AM
Tech Team
Graham

'70 restomod , cranberry red / white stripes , bbc , 5 spd manual , sold for 90k usd or 113k cdn. The car sold last summer a mile away from my house for 50k cdn.
69shovel&90454SS likes this.
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 18, 4:34 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcaptain S3 View Post
Some of those Mustang guys will drop dead if they see your car. They can be as bad as the Vette guys. I had a 65 and some of those dudes are flat out crazy.

Mustang Man: "I went to a junkyard and bought a bumper for $300 and then had it re-chromed for another $1000 so the little numbers inside of it that no one can see would be date correct"

Me: "I bought mine from a catalog for $100. I think it's Chinese"

Mustang Man: "GASP! CHOKE! BLASPHEMER! HERETIC!"

I'm 51 and never understood the numbers thing either. I guess I understand it if you compete for trophies or something, but wow. My little pieced together Mustang ran like hell and looked just like theirs on the outside.
It was just a lot faster, drove better and was safer to drive.

I was even in the MCA for a couple of years until I figured out that those guys hate anybody that doesn't conform to their way of thinking.
IMO, a lot of it is about the beat down. It's all about ego and people thinking they got one over on someone. When I had mine up for sale, one guy was looking all over and lost a deal on a great car because he tried to be too cheap. It was some all original SS out of SoCal and he came back after the fact with a full cash offer and still lost it.

I laughed because he did it all to himself and then bitched that he didn't have his dream car.

I can't understand how someone can find a dream car and then do a beat down on the price. Where's the logic in that.
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 18, 5:10 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
IMO, a lot of it is about the beat down. It's all about ego and people thinking they got one over on someone. When I had mine up for sale, one guy was looking all over and lost a deal on a great car because he tried to be too cheap. It was some all original SS out of SoCal and he came back after the fact with a full cash offer and still lost it.

I laughed because he did it all to himself and then bitched that he didn't have his dream car.

I can't understand how someone can find a dream car and then do a beat down on the price. Where's the logic in that.
I donít think itís about ego. Itís more about people being cheap, uninformed, bad negotiators or not effective reading people. There are far to many sellers afflicted with the same set of issues. When they meet, nobody walks away happy.

Steve R
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 18, 12:09 PM
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage

Being of the ďyounger generationĒ (40 this year in December) Iím an anomaly. I want my car to be an old car. I want the experience of something I wasnít able to do because I wasnít born yet. I want to ďlook back in timeĒ, so to speak. Now, disc brakes, power steering, etc. are not off limits. Those things were available as options back then. But modern LS engine, 6 speed transmissions, overly done interiors, etc. are not my cup of tea. I can appreciate a well done car in any form, I just favor the old technology. I like my electricity produced by big steam turbines, my music played on a turntable, and my classic cars to be as they were back then. Now, to just buy the Chevelle.........
Steve R and SS4Real like this.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 18, 2:20 AM
Tech Team
Josh

Times are changing... old school with modern performance and handling. Not much can compete with factory HP nowadays except for restomods...
Clint44 likes this.

My 72 Pro Touring Project

489 BBC 620hp/620tq w/ AFR 265 O ports
Tremec TKO 600
Strange S60 W/ 4.10's
Heidt's A Arms--CPP Big Brake Kit
Heidt's Drop Spindles--Qa1 Front Coilovers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 18, 11:17 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
I donít think itís about ego. Itís more about people being cheap, uninformed, bad negotiators or not effective reading people. There are far to many sellers afflicted with the same set of issues. When they meet, nobody walks away happy.

Steve R
Two people came to look at mine about a year ago and I was pretty surprised at the level of knowledge. One guy had a collection of 70 classics and his own flatbed where he drove around collecting classics. Another was able to tell a number of key things about mine that a casual person wouldn't know. Both were very well informed. The price offered by one was nearly 2X the price of the other.

Another that didn't see anything but pics, was pissed off when he lost a bid on a full blown, numbers matching all original CA car. He lost the bid because he was doing the same beat down with him that he tried with me. He even came back to him with a full cash offer, and still lost out. He was pissed.

He lost out because of his ego, he had to save a few grand. This guy was fully retired and yet for some reason, couldn't live with paying $30K for the fully original 66 SS from SoCal. He finally came back and offered the $30K and it was too late, someone else already nabbed it.

He said it was so tired of always losing out. He caused his own problems.

I had something else up for sale and got TONS of people interested. The prices again were over 2X difference. From $200 to $500. How can the same item be worth $200 and $500?

Even when I said sold for $500, a guy was doing the last min pitch of "I've got $200 cash right now"... I said "do you realize that I've got $500 cash if a few hours?" ... he still didn't budge and said "just in case he doesn't show up".

This is the ego at work. Not many people would pay > 20K for a car and not have a clue what they're buying.

Many years ago, I bought what was then a dream car for me. It was a 280ZX and I was young. Most everyone loved it. One friend asked how much I paid for it and then he had to say "you paid too much". His concern was all about did you get over on someone. I tricked him later when I bought something else and he once again asked what I paid, I made up a price some 1/3 retail just to throw him off, he really didn't know what to say. He always pretended to be the big player making all the big deals. It never panned out well for him.

There's people out there that just can't live with the fact that they think they paid too much.
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 18, 11:23 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytesOut72 View Post
Times are changing... old school with modern performance and handling. Not much can compete with factory HP nowadays except for restomods...
One of my other projects is a 73 4X4 truck and it has the 428 engine. I saw a project on another forum where someone put some LS1 in the same truck and many people cried foul.

He claimed he'd get the same or better HP/TQ and near 20 MPG.

I think he ended up right.

I get < 10 on mine. She sounds great, runs like crazy, but generally < 10 MPG.

I'm pretty sure I spent more than he did, I've got quite a bit into that project as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 712 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.