M22 tran(s) value - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 5:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

M22 tran(s) value

Team,

What is the value of a M22 trans or tran(s) in unknown condition and assume the worst. I hazard a guess there were "raced hard and put away wet" Im going to look at them soon.

Im told he has 3 complete M22 2 are assembled, 1 is unassembled. None have been rebuilt and have been sitting for quite some time. he also has all the parts I need sans drive shaft to convert an A-body to stick.

Open ended question i know but what should I look for. I hazard he wants to get rid of all three. i figure if i can get them cheap enough Ill buy all 3 make make one perfect one out of them and sell what i dont use.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
Edelbrock Proflo4
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 6:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: M22 tran(s) value

can't help on the value, but my experience when it comes to muncies, every Muncie is a M22, like every 327 came out of a corvette and all 12 bolts are posi's. personally I wouldn't go past $500 each just because I'm cheap and no idea on the conditions. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 7:24 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I would say the value is anywhete from $300.00-$800.00. I think the value of tne Muncies has come down with the Autogear transmissions comi g on the market. Kind of hard to beat all the gear choices and improvements. Could possibly have almost as much into rebuilding an old Muncie as buying a new Autogear.
gspan1830, fr8dog, p40 and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 7:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I was planning on having my M-21 that I had in my car rebuilt and having the guts changed to a M22W. The case was made up from 3 different year pieces and needed the countershaft hole bushed and the front bearing retainer had 3 stripped holes. The cost to redo it would have been over half of what I bought a brand new AutoGear M22W for. The shop I bought the new transmission from offered me $50 for my old transmission but my friend said take it back and sell it yourself. I put it on Craigslist didn't have a lot of calls but the first guy that came and looked at it bought it for $300. Most rebuilt M-22's on Ebay are advertised for right around $2k. I don't think I would go over $500 either on something that has to be rebuilt.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 8:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Michael

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MEJ1990TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
can't help on the value, but my experience when it comes to muncies, every Muncie is a M22, like every 327 came out of a corvette and all 12 bolts are posi's. personally I wouldn't go past $500 each just because I'm cheap and no idea on the conditions. jim
I sold just a GM M22 gear set for $675 last year. This stuff isn't cheap any more. Of course that comes down to these being real M22's.

1966 Charger (383, 727 Torqueflight)
1970 SS 454 Chevelle (LS5+2, M22, 3.31 12 bolt)
1971 Malibu (350, M22, 3.31 12 Bolt)

I'm looking for a girl with a car, and a house..........with cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

2 years ago you couldn't buy an M22 less than $1100. I paid $1250 for mine. If you can get M22's for $500 I'll take 1 and give you $100 for finding me another one.
Steve R likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 8:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ss454Elco View Post
Team,

What is the value of a M22 trans or tran(s) in unknown condition and assume the worst. I hazard a guess there were "raced hard and put away wet" Im going to look at them soon.

Im told he has 3 complete M22 2 are assembled, 1 is unassembled. None have been rebuilt and have been sitting for quite some time. he also has all the parts I need sans drive shaft to convert an A-body to stick.

Open ended question i know but what should I look for. I hazard he wants to get rid of all three. i figure if i can get them cheap enough Ill buy all 3 make make one perfect one out of them and sell what i dont use.
Post the casting numbers, pics of the teeth, any Vin numbers on the side and the date codes.

What are they asking?

If you manage to have a 70 in the bunch with a Vin to an ls6....
Steve R likes this.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 9:03 AM
Tech Team
grr

You can buy a rebuilt M22 for around 2K and a brand new M23 for something less than $2400.

By the time everything is said and done, $500 is about the max you should spend on any one used trans, unless he has a receipt from a trans shop showing it was recently rebuilt.

While rebuilding the trans isn't terribly difficult, unless you have the skills, you have to throw in another $200 to have a shop do the labor. Min of $200 for parts, but if you need a gear, shaft or the main case repaired then you are at the cost of a rebuilt one from a shop.

So $500 is a decent price for an unknown M22...

Just my .02....grr
HKalin likes this.

grr
Build Thread

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 9:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

There is a whole bunch of assuming in the op's post.

2 of the trans are assembled, if the seller knows what he has, you won't get them for $500.

Assembled m22 trans sell for around $1200 all day long online, rebuilt demanding far higher prices.

M22 for $500? Where?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I would think the 661 case, fine spline M22s would demand more than the the earlier versions. I agree, you won't find a complete M22 for $500, possibly $800.
fishhead and Saltherring like this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 11:19 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Letís say a good one is worth $2,000 all day long, it takes 3 unknown used ones to make one and the labor to do it is worth $200. The break even spot is $600 each. Anything above that point is not viable. Sure you have leftover parts but they may or may not be useful. Iíll be there a good chance that there is one expensive part that will be required to make it work or these transmissions wouldnít be collecting dust.
HKalin likes this.

I donít like being manipulated!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 12:00 PM
Tech Team
grr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
There is a whole bunch of assuming in the op's post.

2 of the trans are assembled, if the seller knows what he has, you won't get them for $500.

Assembled m22 trans sell for around $1200 all day long online, rebuilt demanding far higher prices.

M22 for $500? Where?
I am normally the one who is always saying quoted prices on this site are always way undervalued. But unless you are a real transmission person, or personally know the seller, this is one area you can be bitten.

All I know is when I had my original Z/28's and 70 Chevelle and 64 GTO, during my 20's, 30's and even 40's there wasn't a day I didn't powershift them.

Just my .02...grr
HKalin likes this.

grr
Build Thread

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 12:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage
Question Re: M22 tran(s) value

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I would think the 661 case, fine spline M22s would demand more than the the earlier versions. I agree, you won't find a complete M22 for $500, possibly $800.
There are several "M22" transmissions for sale in various NW craigslist locales as we speak. One of them (in Bend, OR) claims it is an original LS6 trans. He recently lowered his price from $3,250 to $2,950. Another guy (on Bainbridge Island) is asking $2,200 for an "M22" with 915 miles since being rebuilt. A trans rebuilding shop in Graham, WA asks $2,700 for a rebuilt "M22" that doesn't picture a drain plug. Yet another person, in Bellingham, is asking $1,000 for a "doesn't have any miles on it" "M22". No photos of that one.

It seems I have recently seen other "M22" transmissions for sale on CL, one perhaps within the city limits of Seattle. Some don't seem to last long while others languish, like the "LS6" unit, which has been for sale for many months...I wonder why....

Last edited by Saltherring; Nov 25th, 17 at 12:45 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 8:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Everyone stating $500 for an M22...show me.
71350SS likes this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 17, 11:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I have yet to find one for $500.00.
71350SS likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 856 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.