What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Numbers Matching column shifter build sheet 1970 Transmission

Not sure where to post this so here I go:

I bought my 1970 matching numbers column shifter SS after my mechanic at that time told me I should get an automatic as a frequent driver (young guy, I should have known better).
I had a 68 4 speed manual clone that was an absolute blast to drive at the time that I decided to let go and found the ride that is currently in my team Chevelle garage.

I enjoy driving this one, BUT decided that I really want to convert it to a tremec 5 speed since there are existing kits out there to do this and I really miss throwing that shifter.
I have been told a couple times "column shifters aren't worth that much" and then when I was talking with someone else they said "don't change out your tranny, you don't want to alter your "numbers matching vehicle" WELL WHICH IS IT???

My thoughts are, it should be fun to drive, if I pull out the original transmission and put it in the garage, I still have the matching numbers engine powering it, and tranny in the garage and it will be more fun to drive and it is not that much of a loss since it was a column shifter anyway. Right?? Or am I a fool and messing up big time???

Thanks for helping me through this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 SS396
1968 SS396 Clone (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Numbers Matching column shifter build sheet 1970 Transmission

Is the car a keeper? If so, and you are otherwise happy with the car, I'd convert it. The market is too risky to give up a car you like and enjoy just to make random people happy.

Steve R
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Not a big deal. Put in the manual trans that you want and just keep all the old parts that you take out. It's your ride so have fun with it!
71350SS likes this.

1970 SS454 LS5
Cranberry Red
Silver Spinner

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 1:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Sell it numbers matching and buy one you want.

Don't change anything, the new buyer may not want to change anything back.
chevymaher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 1:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

I would say change it to a stick and keep all the parts to convert it back. You can always go back if you have to for some reason.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 2:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

If the car is a L34, I wouldn't hesitate to change it. If it's an L78, then I wouldn't mess with it.
71350SS likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 3:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
If the car is a L34, I wouldn't hesitate to change it. If it's an L78, then I wouldn't mess with it.
Thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful. It is an L34.

1970 SS396
1968 SS396 Clone (SOLD)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 3:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Is the car a keeper? If so, and you are otherwise happy with the car, I'd convert it. The market is too risky to give up a car you like and enjoy just to make random people happy.

Steve R
I am beginning to think it is. I bought it with the intention of it being a keeper, but then the automatic started really "bugging me" and I found myself in a little bit of a pickle. This one took way more time to find then I intended. I don't know if you guys remember me flying out to California from Virginia at the last minute to look at a train wreck of a car, but that was me.... LOL.

1970 SS396
1968 SS396 Clone (SOLD)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 3:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
I would agree with Derek. The higher the value, the more desirable the car is (L78 vs L34), then the more value lost when modifying it.

Sure, when completely original, matching numbers sounds great, but that column-shifter really reduces the desirability of the car... Most buyers will want a floor shifter, and most buyers willing to invest big bucks in matching numbers and originality, are probably going to prefer a factory floor shift anyway...

IF you do it right (high quality parts, professional-quality installation and keep all the original parts), IMO you probably can offset much of the loss (for not being correct) with the cost of the swap... Since the floor shift and OD manual will probably attract more buyers... Of course, most likely if you chose to sell, you probably will lose money...

Personally, I like to go by the "its your car, do what YOU want...

If you are worried about hurting the value, then sell it, and take up stamp collecting...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 17, 3:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

If youre changing from an automatic to a stick there's welding involved to the car that will be messy to change back.

Different carpet, hard to find parts etc...

Not to mention it won't be an L78 when you're done with it. It will be an original car that was butchered to be something it never will be.

Am I a purity kind of guy? Sorta, find yourself a car that you can mess with, and leave the original stuff alone.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I would have a tough time with answering that question. If it's all original and showroom stock, I would lean to leaving it the way it was born. You'll need to hack and massage and weld in shifter sheet metal to the stock trans hump.

But damn, A Tremec 5 speed would make that car fun and is a true performance improvement. Add in the overdrive and it's a win win for fun, modernization, and economy. (I threw in economy in case you have to persuade a significant other)

Tuff choice. Live your dream. As a practical person the Tremec adds value for me. As a collector, not so much.

This transmission and adding a/c to my car are part of my dream.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 9:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Real View Post
Not a big deal. Put in the manual trans that you want and just keep all the old parts that you take out. It's your ride so have fun with it!
x2
Put the 5 spd dont think twice about it; theres a butt for every seat, even green automatic pintos
Dont let anyone keep you from enjoying your hobby;imo the # thing is really oveblown
Bet most are happy just to find they didnt get a cobbled up nightmare period
samsenger likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you

Last edited by cuisinartvette; Nov 29th, 17 at 9:51 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 9:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Not trying to steer you in any direction, but here you go....https://shiftsst.com/articles/cat/ge...ody-1968-1972/
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 9:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

If you want to keep it clean, you'll need to change out the steering column collar also, otherwise you'll have the column shifter yoke reminding you of it's former importance. Other issues as you may know: could be conflicts with headers, power steering, driveshaft tranny yoke, etc.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
1970 Chevelle 517 cid, TH400, best ET mid 9's. #19.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 17, 8:35 AM
Administrator

Garage

The floor will have to be cut for the Tremec to fit with the proper drive line angle. Loved the one I put in my Nova, almost put one in wagon but went with a 4L80E instead.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 783 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.