Numbers Matching column shifter build sheet 1970 Transmission - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 17, 8:41 AM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Re: Numbers Matching column shifter build sheet 1970 Transmission

If you drive the car then make it how you want it, if it is garage art that gets driven 2-300 miles a year then leave it alone.
Philip and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 17, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
If you want to keep it clean, you'll need to change out the steering column collar also, otherwise you'll have the column shifter yoke reminding you of it's former importance. Other issues as you may know: could be conflicts with headers, power steering, driveshaft tranny yoke, etc.
Thanks. They are taking care of that too. The steering column collar was one of the things that was not part of the "kit", so they added it and built it into the cost.

Thanks for everyone's input. This was a big decision, but I am really excited about everything.

1970 SS396
1968 SS396 Clone (SOLD)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 17, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Put the 5 speed in and be happy

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 17, 4:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The floor will have to be cut for the Tremec to fit with the proper drive line angle. Loved the one I put in my Nova, almost put one in wagon but went with a 4L80E instead.
This is one reason I'd look for something other than the Tremec. I'd get something that will fit the stock floor/stock shifter hump, instread of needing significant tunnel surgery...... I know there are other options out there (McCleod, Richmond, etc), but not sure how they compare with the Tremec...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 4:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Numbers matching drivetrains are getting harder to find. Personally I think it would be a shame to butcher up the car for the Tremec, even if it's an L-34 car. If I was looking for a #'s car I would pass on one that was modified like this.

Sell the car and find an non-#'s car to do what you want. Plenty of clones or nonmatching cars out there to modify.

Yes it's your car, but why purchase a #'s car if you are going to heavily modify it?

Either way I agree you should enjoy whatever you own.
DougA, fishhead and MySS396 like this.

TC Member # 5462
70 Chevelle SS/396 4-Speed
DYNO RWHP: 364HP @ 5200 RPM / 426 Torque @ 3500 RPM
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 6:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWapenshaw007# View Post
Thanks. They are taking care of that too. The steering column collar was one of the things that was not part of the "kit", so they added it and built it into the cost.

Thanks for everyone's input. This was a big decision, but I am really excited about everything.
Who's they? Are they doing the install too or just supplying the part? Maybe you or they can do a build thread with your car. It could help them get more business.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 7:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

If you really get technical,doesn't the speedometer head have to be changed also,as it shows the auto shift quadrant?

70 SS 454 LS-5 M-22 Bornwith Drivetrain-Sold New Baldwin Chevrolet
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code-427 4spd.
60',1.46, [email protected] [email protected]

Elky at Cecil

Chevelle Resto Pics
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 2:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToocoolZ28 View Post
If you drive the car then make it how you want it, if it is garage art that gets driven 2-300 miles a year then leave it alone.
Garage Art..... Another new term to add to my vocabulary. 2 new words or phrases in a week. I love Team Chevelle. The other word has become a common term used in my every day life, It's Chineseum.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 2:35 PM
Administrator

Garage

Chineseum, Tom Mobley coined that one IIRC.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 4:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

These cars are not a 1 of 2 ZL1 make it yours.....some get way too carried away with the #s thing or what someone else will think down the road. Thats crazy???

Mines so far from stock it isnt even funny. Not once has anyone said "You shoulda kept the original T350 I hate 6 speeds".
Its an old Chevy you paid for it YOU have to enjoy it when you drive it make it all you ever wanted it to be. To sell your car over that is insane, theres no trophies in heaven for a stock car.

OD trans are the way to go, youll never look back.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 17, 6:50 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Beware of the "mines not matching numbers" crowd I.e. itís a clone. They didnít pay much for theirs and quick to tell you to butcher up your original matching numbers ss car. Note that many of the rare L78's are CE motors and good luck tracking the provenance. Any numbers matching ss is getting rarer each day and as you stated it wasnít an easy task buying the one youíve got. So if your not happy with it donít modify the car, sell it and by a clone to make it whatever you want it to be. Good luck

1970 Cranberry Red SS396 TH400 AC 3:31 Posi -as it was born

Last edited by MySS396; Dec 8th, 17 at 10:57 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 18, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

It is just getting started. As requested here is a link to who is doing the transformation for me:

1970 SS396
1968 SS396 Clone (SOLD)
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 18, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

youre gonna love it, will really add the fun factor and "feel" faster too. Hey ya like what ya like...

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 18, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

if it were me, I would swap the motor too. But keep the origin motor trans and driveshaft. problem of selling a matching car to buy something not matching. when I domes time to sell your car, you have to deal with all the low ballers, tire kickers, the no shows etc. So when you finally sell the car, you get 2/3 of what it's really worth or 2/3 of what you paid for it. Now you have to go out and find another car that's not a total pile of garbage under the new shiny paint. So between selling your car and finding another suitable project you lose a year or more. Sometimes it just makes sense to keep what your happy with and modify what makes you happy. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 18, 11:34 PM
Tech Team

Garage

You never hear a purist say Dont modify that all number matching malibu it's seems to be all about the money and not the hobby of enjoying your car. Glad your doing what you want to the car and not what others think.
1966_L78 and chevymaher like this.

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
69 Dodge Charger Rt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 783 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.