another 1965 malibu ss car worth - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 7:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

another 1965 malibu ss car worth

i have a deposit on this car but still poking around making sure this is worth what im paying. its been a single owner car for 27 years and the comes with the original window sticker. its a 138 car but does not have the original 283. non power brakes or steering but has a new booster coming with the car. it has a 66 396 with some mild upgrades with a turbo 350. no smoke, and idles very smooth. drives very nice.

the car was restored in the 90 and garage kept since. no rust that i could find. never driven in the rain. entire car was sandblasted at the time of resto. it received a newer frame then, and new interior as well as quarter patches, floors and trunk. to the best of my knowledge the repairs were done at a body shop and i cant see any issues with them. trunk has correct splatter pain over where the quarter patches were, and they tapped out sounding like metal. the car was re painted after the original restoration in 2005 and shows very nice. as far as i can see, its flawless. undercarriage is all nice. no signs of rust or even contact with water. bumpers were re chromed during the resto and show as new. window trim is all very nice. all the glass is very nice.

interior is showing some wear, but its over 20 years old now so i expect it.

a list of issues ive found or he has told me about, not huge issues but little things here and there....

headliner is tired so it could be changed if i want as well as the carpet. radio needs to be fixed as he stated as well as the horn. he had an issue with the hood coming in contact with the fender and lightly chipped the inner pain of that fender. his mechanic told him the hinges needed to be repaired. there quick fix was to remove the springs and it worked , obviously i cant keep it that way.
the hood emblem trim is original and has some pitting as well as the trim on the trunk. the trunk trim is probably the worse off, but is still good at 10 feet. he never painted the trunk section around the trim black like the SS should have came, no big issue to me, but it looks more like someone slapped the badges on the car rather then restore to original ss specs. it needs a fan shroud .

other then that i like the car. the gentlemen is a little older and seemed to take excellent care of the car. that said hes not internet savy so although he said he was a little movable on the price, he didnt move from 20. he had it listed at 27 and slowly moved it from there.

heres a quick video of him starting it up and giving it a few quick gooses

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=d1omH6v7uuw

and his add

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/...293732178.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5877.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	472650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5878.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	472658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5879.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	472666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5880.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	472674  

Last edited by Bikerman9967; Sep 7th, 17 at 8:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 8:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: another 1965 malibu ss car worth

The T350 is a turnoff if it wasn't built to handle the BBC, however a nice solid car by the pics. Its tastefully done and could use some updating, $20k is not far off what I think its worth. Look at it this way, what would it take you build one in this condition and go from there.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 8:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
The T350 is a turnoff if it wasn't built to handle the BBC, however a nice solid car by the pics. Its tastefully done and could use some updating, $20k is not far off what I think its worth. Look at it this way, what would it take you build one in this condition and go from there.
i certainly couldnt build this for 20 k. the 350 is a turn off to me too, but he claims the motor is only in the 365HP range . hes probably right.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 8:43 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

The grill needs the SS blackout treatment too along with the rear cove. But maybe that's just me.

Why does it not have rear wheel opening trims? The answer to that might indicate some issues with how the quarters were repaired.

Sounds like it has a lot of small and medium sized issues for a car that was supposedly well maintained. No gas pedal or brake pedal pad? When I see that kind of stuff missing I have to wonder what kind of care and upkeep the car has actually received. If you don't do the small stuff, what about the bigger stuff? Fixing up many of these smaller issues (hood hinges, radio, horn, pedals) are quick, easy and inexpensive to fix and would certainly go miles to making it more presentable to sell so I have to wonder why they've been left undone.

That said, nothing said or showing would be a huge difficulty to fix. Assuming there aren't other things as yet unseen lurking in there.

The Youtube link doesn't work for me.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 9:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
The grill needs the SS blackout treatment too along with the rear cove. But maybe that's just me.

Why does it not have rear wheel opening trims? The answer to that might indicate some issues with how the quarters were repaired.

Sounds like it has a lot of small and medium sized issues for a car that was supposedly well maintained. No gas pedal or brake pedal pad? When I see that kind of stuff missing I have to wonder what kind of care and upkeep the car has actually received. If you don't do the small stuff, what about the bigger stuff? Fixing up many of these smaller issues (hood hinges, radio, horn, pedals) are quick, easy and inexpensive to fix and would certainly go miles to making it more presentable to sell so I have to wonder why they've been left undone.

That said, nothing said or showing would be a huge difficulty to fix. Assuming there aren't other things as yet unseen lurking in there.

The Youtube link doesn't work for me.
i actually asked him about the rear wheel well trim and he told me it wasnt on the car originally when he got it and he didnt care for the re popped stuff. he has new trim for the rear trunk but hated the quality so he never installed it. i agreed id rather have pitted original then the re popped ones he had.

as far as the rest of the little things, im assuming he just didnt care enough to put in new peddle pads or fix the hinges. he told me he drove it 5 times a week to different cruse nights and whatnot. he did put a new starter and battery in within the last weeks. so im guessing he picked and chose what he kept up and what was the most valuable to him. the shine and the driveability. im not making excuses, i agree at the very least the hinge thing should have been fixed right away. but seeing he had some new parts un installed like brake booster and new hinge springs in the package, he was running out of interest or his health was coming into play
( not wanting to indulge too much into health but it was brought up as reason to sell the car)

to add he did say he had 40k invested into the car since he bought it to now. with the restoration and new paint id assume hes not lying about that. we all know what it takes to keep the cars up . he probably just ran out of gas so to say and just lived with the minor issues.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

I remember that car. It was for sale back in October 2016 but I don't remember what the asking price was back then. You don't see too many Framingham cars for sale up here in the northeast. Most have rusted away but some, like this one, survived.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
I remember that car. It was for sale back in October 2016 but I don't remember what the asking price was back then. You don't see too many Framingham cars for sale up here in the northeast. Most have rusted away but some, like this one, survived.
he did say hes been trying to sell it for some time. i mentioned if he was going to buy another car but he said he had to figure out some health related issues first.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Very interesting that these two are in the same area and same color...I thought it was 1 in the same, but it is not.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/60-w...65-malibu.html

Build thread-

Album -
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:08 AM
Tech Team

I think that 20K is a very good price. Nice aluminum radiator, MSD ignition, Hooker headers.....This stuff costs money to do it yourself. Cant see the paint very well, but Im sure it looks good. I would put the chrome trim on the wheel wells, rattle can the grill and the rear cove the color that they are supposed to be,,,, and that turbo 350,,,if it goes, just let a trans shop that builds racing transmissions go through it. You will never have another problem with it. Oh, and the door panels,,,see if you can move that chrome strip up higher to where its supposed to be. Big block car....gotta love it. I have manual steering. If you ever have to replace the steering box, just do not put a fast ratio box in it. Ask me how I know.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Very interesting that these two are in the same area and same color...I thought it was 1 in the same, but it is not.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/60-w...65-malibu.html
i was going to call on that one but i ended up with this one instead. again im still hoping im not overpaying. you can only look so hard at a car when youre buying. you find the real surprises once you get it home.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleguy View Post
I think that 20K is a very good price. Nice aluminum radiator, MSD ignition, Hooker headers.....This stuff costs money to do it yourself. Cant see the paint very well, but Im sure it looks good. I would put the chrome trim on the wheel wells, rattle can the grill and the rear cove the color that they are supposed to be,,,, and that turbo 350,,,if it goes, just let a trans shop that builds racing transmissions go through it. You will never have another problem with it. Oh, and the door panels,,,see if you can move that chrome strip up higher to where its supposed to be. Big block car....gotta love it. I have manual steering. If you ever have to replace the steering box, just do not put a fast ratio box in it. Ask me how I know.
i was thinking of going power steering
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
I had a friend that ran a TH350 for a long time behind a 502 ci BBC and he had no issues. If the TH350 is a fresh build with good parts, a 396 isn't going to hurt it.
mino65 likes this.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:34 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

My truck has a TH350 behind a healthy 400sb and I use it to tow quite a lot. The trans has never given me any issues besides leaks here and there for almost 40k of hard work. Apparently it is a "truck" TH350 that has extra clutches in the pack for what that's worth. It made the transmission much happier when I put 3.73 gears in the rear but even at that it never really complained with the 3.07s other than with a fully loaded trailer going up very steep grades.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Big Block 65. Driver condition is what it sounds like. If that is what you are going for, then I think it sounds like a decent price. North East cars are different than Southern Cali. Parts add up quickly, ask me how I know

If you aren't beating on it all the time I am guessing the TH350 would be okay.

It's not original, so I think you have a good chance to upgrade some things to make it a little nicer to drive. Power/upgraded brakes, power steering (JGC box). The other stuff sounds like just a few things that could make the car feel like yours as you correct them. Which to me is fun.

Build thread-

Album -
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:37 AM
Tech Team

Power steering would be a very nice upgrade. Serpentine belt,,,,Air maybe??? You will have a very sound foundation to do what you want to do to make the car a fun driver,, and not have to worry about the Numbers Matching thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 688 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.