18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Re: another 1965 malibu ss car worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleguy View Post
Power steering would be a very nice upgrade. Serpentine belt,,,,Air maybe??? You will have a very sound foundation to do what you want to do to make the car a fun driver,, and not have to worry about the Numbers Matching thing.
already has the serpentine belt. air is on the list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The TH350 is a non-issue. They are great transmissions and will EASILY stand up behind a cruise-night 396.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Big Block 65. Driver condition is what it sounds like. If that is what you are going for, then I think it sounds like a decent price. North East cars are different than Southern Cali. Parts add up quickly, ask me how I know

If you aren't beating on it all the time I am guessing the TH350 would be okay.

It's not original, so I think you have a good chance to upgrade some things to make it a little nicer to drive. Power/upgraded brakes, power steering (JGC box). The other stuff sounds like just a few things that could make the car feel like yours as you correct them. Which to me is fun.
driver that i can tinker with over time is what im looking for. i wanted something in the 15k range but everything in that range needed body work. i wanted good guts, good frame, good body and paint and minor upgrades that i could do slowly. i really tried to get him to move but he wouldnt budge. he had some very low offers and as stated before its been for sale for a while. 20k was just the lowest he would take or just keep it.

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerman9967 View Post
driver that i can tinker with over time is what im looking for. i wanted something in the 15k range but everything in that range needed body work. i wanted good guts, good frame, good body and paint and minor upgrades that i could do slowly. i really tried to get him to move but he wouldnt budge. he had some very low offers and as stated before its been for sale for a while. 20k was just the lowest he would take or just keep it.
So if you look at the other one for sale for 17x. Sounds like that one "might" have some issues as the seller says that the paint is a 15 footer. It also doesn't have the BBC, although a 400 SBC would be fun as well. But, it does have the 4 speed which is always cool in my book. But if you want a cruiser, then maybe just the auto is nicer to do that with. I guess what I am saying is if that other car goes for 17, I would think this one should be ~20. Or you could feel good about the 20k. If you keep things up to date, a 138 65 car shouldn't lose value at this point. (they aren't making any more of them!)

Build thread-

Album -
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
So if you look at the other one for sale for 17x. Sounds like that one "might" have some issues as the seller says that the paint is a 15 footer. It also doesn't have the BBC, although a 400 SBC would be fun as well. But, it does have the 4 speed which is always cool in my book. But if you want a cruiser, then maybe just the auto is nicer to do that with. I guess what I am saying is if that other car goes for 17, I would think this one should be ~20. Or you could feel good about the 20k. If you keep things up to date, a 138 65 car shouldn't lose value at this point. (they aren't making any more of them!)
i imagine the 17k car has more cosmetic issues then im interested in. ive looked at enough adds to know when someone is speaking lightly about a car or doesn't want to indulge too much in the add to give bargaining power to a potential buyer.

i had a 70 before this and never finished it. i love the 70s but people are crazy for them and prices are out of control now. the 64-66 have been on my list of love too so i started looking into those as an alternative to another 70, at the same time i dont know where a clean "driver" should be priced at. nada has this car from 14 k all the way to 40. seeing its not all original the 138 is almost useless other then a story of what it once was.
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 11:42 AM
Tech Team

Ahh yes. The story of what it once was. If you lived that story,,,= Priceless!
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 2:42 PM
Clint

Personally, I think $20K for that car is a pretty good deal. It looks like a decent car and something to enjoy making it yours.
Georgia69 and Bikerman9967 like this.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 6:26 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

My concern would be the second repaint. Why did it need to be painted again 10 years later? Rust and bad bodywork popping out?

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 6:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
My concern would be the second repaint. Why did it need to be painted again 10 years later? Rust and bad bodywork popping out?
The restoration was actually completed in 1990. So it's 15 years old. He did say he wasn't happy with the first repaint job from the start.

I combed this car again tonight . There is absolutely no rust on this car that I can find
mino65 likes this.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 6:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I know it is easy to spend someone else's money, but it sounds like you are checking all the right things, know about a few things that aren't too scary, and gets you into a model year that you want to try out. You convinced me. Do it!

Build thread-

Album -
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 7:30 PM
Team Member
mark

I met the owner about 10 -12 years ago when I used to do the car cruise/shows with my Elcamino.The car was nice then and I always liked it sanse a few small things that I would change but overall a very nice car.If I had the cash when it first went up for sale I would have bought it.
Bikerman9967 likes this.

1965 malibu,03 silverado ss

M.J. 496

th350,4.11 3250lbs,+185 FOR ME
28x10.5 Hoosiers
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 7:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mino65 View Post
I met the owner about 10 -12 years ago when I used to do the car cruise/shows with my Elcamino.The car was nice then and I always liked it sanse a few small things that I would change but overall a very nice car.If I had the cash when it first went up for sale I would have bought it.
He's a very nice guy. I went over to look the car over for a second time tonight. He just loves to talk cars, very honest and open. The interior is a little more worn then I'd like but it's not new by any means. Everything is original other then the carpet and seat upholstery. I plan on doing some work in there after I fix the hinges and drop in the power brakes .
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 10:23 PM
Tech Team

I am a big fan of 65's and I would agree this one is worth $20K. You can't build one like it for that price let alone your time. Those couple little things to fix would not scare me away. Including chaging out that cheap plastic fuel filter that is next to that big block heat maker. Buy it and enjoy.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 8:53 AM
Tech Team
Kurt

We looked at several 65 s that had major flaws in paint and bodywork....
The cheapest one was $34,000 firm, but was really a $15,000 car....
Based on the info you supplied, i think $20,000 is ok ....
Sounds like the seller is being up-front with you ....
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 9:15 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I can not see from photos - but I hope some has or will put 11 inch disc brakes on the front along with the dual master cylinder. Looks good with the BBC in it. The Turbo 350 will be OK if it has been gone through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 745 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.