Hello from a lifelong car nut. - Chevelle Tech
New Member Introductions Stop in and introduce yourself.

11Likes
  • 2 Post By Pete 67
  • 1 Post By Dean
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By 427L88
  • 1 Post By augy
  • 1 Post By Blown1932
  • 1 Post By Freddy Mercado
  • 1 Post By 71350SS
  • 1 Post By heqokizi
  • 1 Post By DBarnes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 20, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
Billy

Hello from a lifelong car nut.

Hello everyone, I just learned your site existed today and had to sign up. I'm a lifelong car nut with an affinity to El Caminos, although I love pretty much all vehicles. My earliest automotive memory is being in my mom's Chevelle- it was her daily driver until 1990 or 1991, when it got sold out from under her. more on that below.

Unfortunately, I didn't win the health lottery, and am not able to work on or even drive cars. Instead, I've been photographing as many as I possibly can, attending as many car shows as physically possible...I took over 10,000 car photos in 2019 alone.

I became a fan of the El Camino sometime during the 1990s, and it's since become an obsession. While I don't have a real one, I do have many scale versions, and I have I believe the complete collection of El Camino trading cards. Only a couple away from having every plastic El Camino model as well, which I occasionally even pull off a decent build of.

These are the only decent photos of my mom's Chevelle...not great, I know. I still remember the blue vinyl interior, and the floor rusting out so you could watch the road go by as you drove. (That's circa 5 year old me in the leaves). She still talks about that car often...every car show, every time we watch an auction on TV and a Chevelle comes up, sometimes just because. She never really forgave my father (who we lost to cancer in 2002) for selling it instead of fixing it. So I got the idea that I might be able to get her a new Chevelle to replace this one, for her birthday in 2022, which will be a big one. I'm not sure I can pull it off...the cost of the medicine that keeps me alive doesn't give me a lot of money to have fun with, and finding a good condition 4-door from this era in blue- it's got to be blue, like hers was- may be even more of a challenge. 2-doors are plentiful but not what she likes. (me neither, for that matter, for cars) We don't have the capability to do a project, unfortunately. so finding one that just needs standard upkeep is important.

I don't know if I will be able to pull it off, but I have a year and a half to save and try.

Without my own car I'm not sure how much I can contribute to the forum, but I certainly have lots of Chevelle and El Camino photos from various shows I can post. Here's just one example of my show photography...and not even the best example, just the first Chevelle or El Camino I shot at the 2019 Adirondack Nationals.

Thanks for having me here!

Billy Kingsley aka El Camino Billy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 20, 8:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Hello from a lifelong car nut.

Welcome aboard. Just to let you know the new guys always buy the first round!

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 20, 9:48 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Welcome aboard Billy
ElCaminoBilly likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 20, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Welcome to Team Chevelle Billy...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 8:16 AM
Team Member
Gene

Billy, we have Corvette owners hanging out here, so an Elky brain, even w/o an Elky is totally kosher! Plus mom used a Chevelle as a daily! Dude, you;re in!

PS my wife hates Elky's as I almost bought one as a home for my old 427. Man, she dont even ride with me much; and I keep thinking woulda, coulda shoulda.

Maybe once the Covidian SNAFU brakes somewhat we can hook up at LVD. My sis is in Rhinebeck, and we were thinking of driving the Chevelle down for some of the shows down that way, but covid snafu hit.

Hope your health will allow a spirited ride in a rowdy Chevelle!

PS if you ever, in your photo travels see a beat up rusty 64-65-66 , let me know! I have a dream and a kid still at home that is becoming an expert fabricator.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 8:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Welcome Billy, to Team Chevelle.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 8:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Welcome from another El Camino fan.

We have 2 and luckily the wife likes them; so much so that the 71 is hers. She found it and participated significantly in the build!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 2:22 PM
Team Member
Freddy

Welcome to the site.

Freddy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 3:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Welcome to TC Billy.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 11:50 PM

Welcome aboard!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 10:00 AM

Welcome Billy!! I as well have fond memories of families cars through the 70's when I was a kid. Keep us posted on your journey and this is an excellent place for information and advice. I am currently building my first car. A 68 Chevelle and I also have a 68 Elcamino that I reworked as a daily driver and drove it daily driver from 95 to 2001. People either love Elcaminos or hate them. I have fond memories of dropping off my daughter at school on my Elcamino which embarrassed her. lol. Now that she is grown and married, she loves it because her husband thinks its awesome.
Welcome again!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 4:53 PM Thread Starter
Billy

Thank you everyone! Glad to be here!
Is there a specific section for posting some car show photo memories? I'm still learning what the site has to offer. It would probably trend a little heavy towards El Caminos but I don't think you all will mind too much

Billy Kingsley aka El Camino Billy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in