Team Chevelle banner

New TC Member

586 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  augy 
#1 ·
Hello TC members. New guy here from Cincinnati, OH area. Name is Vince. I don’t own a Chevelle, but my mother-in-law does. It’s a stock 1970 SS396, Forest Green with green interior, bench seat, TH400 auto on the column. My father-in-law, who had maintained the car, passed away unexpectedly earlier this year, and my mother-in-law just asked me for help in selling it. They’re long time owners of the car, having bought it in 1972. They live in a suburb of Rochester, NY, which is where the car is located. I joined the forum to help educate myself on these cars.

One thing I noticed right away after lurking on this site and others is the premium that Chevelles (especially the 1970) command relative to similar condition GM A-bodies from other divisions. I’ve had a ’71 GTO for a long time now and see Chevelle prices routinely outpace all years of GTOs. Even SS clones do very nicely. Anyways, I’ll be posting some pictures and questions in the What’s it Worth part of the forum to get some advice.

Glad to be here!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks very much for the welcome, gents. We visited Rochester a couple weeks ago and I took a bunch of pictures and went through what documentation that I could uncover in my father-in-law's file cabinet. I was very happy to find 2 build sheets and the Protect-O-Plate, along with some maintenance documentation going back to the mid 1970s. I took pictures of the stampings on the engine block pad, transmission pad, Q-jet, distributor, trim plate, etc. Everything ties together nicely as documenting an original drivetrain SS396. The bones of this car are good, its paint is not. It has a 1970s repaint in lacquer and all of the horizontal surfaces are checking ("spider webbing"). My father-in-law had planned on having it painted next year.

Dean - I am going to create a post in the What's-it-Worth part of the forum and present the info that I've collected so that I can get feedback from the many experts on this site on typical price ranges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.