I'm new here looking to connect. - Chevelle Tech
New Member Introductions Stop in and introduce yourself.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 8:16 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Aaron

Question I'm new here looking to connect.

Hi all,

I grew up in Detroit and now live near Cleveland Ohio. I just bought my next project, a 71 Chevelle true SS HT. In 1971 I was 16 years old, had just started driving and felt that they had been waiting for me to drive before making the most beautiful car ever. Since then I have restored a few cars as a hobby but none have ever excited me as much as this one that I finally brought home two days ago. It's rust free and only has 21K original miles BUT it was badly abused, hacked up a little, and owned by someone that flat a$$ didn't know how to drive very well, meaning lots of minor dents, scratches, broken plastic, trashed interior, etc. I'm now 65 and newly retired and I could have bought a much nicer car that didn't "need" me like this one does, instead I have something to do and a few coins to buy what I need along the way. I'm hoping that someone reading this will reach out to me with tips advice etc. At this point my drive train is pretty much done, I have already rebuilt the 454 with all kinds of upgrades and had the Muncie 4 speed "done". I'm now putting my VERY LONG list of body and interior needs together and am looking for help/advice.... Example: which vendors are best, which brands can I trust, and which brands should I avoid. I am shooting for original "like new" appearance but not hung up on NOS and OEM if there is a new quality made piece available. I will very soon be buying a LOT of new stuff from bumper to bumper and want to avoid regrets later.

Sorry if I bored you but I'm hoping my little story will help me connect with anybody that can help with advice or can point me to where to look.

Thank You!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 11:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: I'm new here looking to connect.

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of folks here with good information to share as you tackle individual issues on your car. Happy Retirement!
Saltherring and Aaron Can2 like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Welcome.
Aaron Can2 likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 12:24 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of parts warehouses for your Chevelle(you can google them), but the three that I rely on the most are OPG(Original Parts Group) based in California, Ausley's Chevelle which is based in North Carolina, and NPD(National Parts Depot) based in Florida. All three are reliable and can supply you with anything you need to refurbish your Chevelle. Good luck.
Aaron Can2 likes this.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 12:27 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Welcome aboard Aaron.
Do you know about the Northern Ohio Chevelle Show July 31st and August 1st?
(IF the virus lock down is over with by then)

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/29-...elle-show.html
Aaron Can2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Aaron

Thank You!

Regular naps help prevent aging, especially if you take them while driving.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 1:39 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Welcome aboard Aaron.
Do you know about the Northern Ohio Chevelle Show July 31st and August 1st?
(IF the virus lock down is over with by then)

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/29-...elle-show.html
I did not know about the show. Thank you! Now that there sounds like a pretty good reason to clean up this virus mess ASAP. I'll get right on it!
427L88 likes this.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 3:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Aaron, welcome to this great group of Chevelle and el camino enthusiasts. I think you are going to enjoy restoring your newly acquired Chevelle. I have been slowly restoring my '68 el camino SS for quite a few years now, and it has been my experience with aftermarket parts that they just are not that great. Sure they look good when you buy them, but when it comes to a great fit or looking exactly like an OE part, forget it. Nothing is better than an OE part. They all advertise "exact reproduction" I say BS! I haven't seen one yet. Sure, you have to look close, but the detail dimensions are never the same as original. Which I guess is good, so people can't pass there car as being 100% original. Now there might be a few exceptions to what I have stated, but I haven't found a exact reproduction part yet. I am now at the point where I am searching for and buying nothing but OE parts whenever possible, nos, used or refurbished/rebuilt. I just thought I would give you a heads up. Have fun with the build. I know you will. Again, welcome.

Steve
RAIDER SS and Aaron Can2 like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 1:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Welcome Aaron, to Team Chevelle.....
Aaron Can2 likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 9:20 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask anything. I ask dumb questions all the time and the majority of people will support you.
Aaron Can2 likes this.

If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 7:27 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Hello Aaron,

You just connected very nicely and welcome aboard. Ask any question and somebody around here will have the answer.

My only advice is to try and do something . . . anything . . . to your car every day. Every! Day! Make the work in small, manageable, achievable chunks and try not to think much about the daunting huge challenges so much - sometimes was discouraging for me. Eat this elephant one bite at a time and you will be amazed at how quickly your car will come back to life.

Rick
Aaron Can2 likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 11:13 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Welcome to the team. As far as suppliers I have had decent luck with AMD for sheet metal, Trim Parts for chrome trim and Ted William Enterprise for seat springs and other parts. Repro stuff is improving but there is still junk out there. Just don't be afraid to return a badly stamped panel or more often a dented shipped panel. Enjoy your project and retirement.
Aaron Can2 likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68elky396 View Post
Aaron, welcome to this great group of Chevelle and el camino enthusiasts. I think you are going to enjoy restoring your newly acquired Chevelle. I have been slowly restoring my '68 el camino SS for quite a few years now, and it has been my experience with aftermarket parts that they just are not that great. Sure they look good when you buy them, but when it comes to a great fit or looking exactly like an OE part, forget it. Nothing is better than an OE part. They all advertise "exact reproduction" I say BS! I haven't seen one yet. Sure, you have to look close, but the detail dimensions are never the same as original. Which I guess is good, so people can't pass there car as being 100% original. Now there might be a few exceptions to what I have stated, but I haven't found a exact reproduction part yet. I am now at the point where I am searching for and buying nothing but OE parts whenever possible, nos, used or refurbished/rebuilt. I just thought I would give you a heads up. Have fun with the build. I know you will. Again, welcome.

Steve
Thanks Steve. That's good info. I just finished restoring a 49 Chevy pickup and there aren't too many NOS or used parts around for it so I guess I learned to compromise however, tolerances in 49 were a lot more forgiving and there were very few tight gaps. I will take your advice and look for OE before settling for re-pops.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Welcome to the team. As far as suppliers I have had decent luck with AMD for sheet metal, Trim Parts for chrome trim and Ted William Enterprise for seat springs and other parts. Repro stuff is improving but there is still junk out there. Just don't be afraid to return a badly stamped panel or more often a dented shipped panel. Enjoy your project and retirement.
Thanks Bill. I'm going to do a total redo of the interior and considering a kit and save a few bucks. So far I know of three different brands and was assuming they are all slightly different and not all made by the same company and then rebranded. However, I was told by a salesman (via chat) that the reason one brand was priced higher than the other was because they did more thorough documented inspections, which makes me think maybe they are all made in the same place.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 12:25 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Can2 View Post
Thanks Bill. I'm going to do a total redo of the interior and considering a kit and save a few bucks. So far I know of three different brands and was assuming they are all slightly different and not all made by the same company and then rebranded. However, I was told by a salesman (via chat) that the reason one brand was priced higher than the other was because they did more thorough documented inspections, which makes me think maybe they are all made in the same place.
Not true, first interior, Legendary is the best but you will not save money. They aren't cheap but they are the best as are their complete assembled door panels. Foam is ACI and I like their carpets and kick panels. Ted W E is American made. AMD has their own tooling but the X500 series stuff isn't theirs and comes from different places and is questionable. Trim Parts is nicer then original in most cases. However even China made stuff has come a long way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
interior , panels , restore , vendors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in