Team Chevelle banner

New purchase

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  MarkP 
#1 ·
I am new to this site and I have really enjoyed reading the wealth of information that is available. I just purchased this 1969 Chevelle and I am looking for some input. Good and bad from you. Its a frame off restoration. The car drives like a champ and is a good looking car. I know its not a true SS. But I'm not worried about that. Im just looking to drive it and learn some new skills while trying to keep up with maintenance ect. Any advice would be much appreciated since I'm new to this site.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TC. Nice ride, you don't have to apologize for what it is or isn't. Make it what you want it to be and enjoy!

Reactions: Bcool
#3 ·
Welcome to Team Chevelle.....:waving:

Nice '69.....:thumbsup:

Is it a true L78 car? (Says 375 hp on the air cleaner)

#5 ·
Nice car, give us a history on yourself car wise. If new to the classic cars, make sure it is safe, steering and brakes are all good to go. Then enjoy the hell out of it.

#6 ·
I just purchased this 1969 Chevelle and I am looking for some input. Good and bad from you. Its a frame off restoration.
Car looks great, but I'm not liking the steering wheel, shifter, and gigantic tach.

Reactions: boyd66k20
#7 ·
First time through the pics I thought the same about the shifter and steering wheel. Can't say I noticed the tach. But nice car and if you like those items then that is all that matters. Welcome.

Reactions: 69SHEVL
#9 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Heres my story. The first car that I bought was a1969 Chevelle Malibu 307. Not areal fast car and not even much to look at. However, I loved the dashboard layout and the whole car design really impressed me. I bought it for $500, drove it for 3 years and sold it for $500, back in 1988. Anyway I've been wanting a 69 Chevelle almost since I sold mine. Well, I said what the hell, and bought this car after researching what the local inventory of Chevelles was selling for. I looked for a solid year I have electrical/mechanical skills but I'm not mechanic. But took a mechanic buddy with me to look at this car. We put it on the lift and then test drove it. He was very impressed by the way it drove ,the motor and the undercarriage. So I do have some friends that are mechanics and I will be learning some new things along the way. I appreciate all the posts here and the passion that this group has for Chevelles. I appreciate you all for taking the time to read my post. Im gonna start real small with some small changes that I would like to make. Black side stripes, new glove box and even contemplating a passenger side mirror. I know that wouldn't be correct, but I'm not correct. LOL And see where it goes.
Thanks again

#10 ·
Well the glove box is an easy job and I have a tip for you. Unbend a couple of the heavy duty staples on one side and remove them so the box can be partially collapsed. Once you have it inside reinstall the same staples. If memory serves me correctly it cannot be installed in its fully erected state.

#14 ·
Passenger side mirror was a common dealer installed item back then so I wouldn't worry about it not being "correct". It's on my list of things to do on my Chevelle as well.

If you want it to appear more correct, you might change out the steering wheel. Looks like a nice car. Congrats and enjoy it!

#15 ·
If you are going to buy mirrors, I would not buy aftermarket mirrors. Morris Concepts makes nice custom mirrors that don't droop. They are very expensive, but well worth the price.

When I installed mine, I put tape on the area so that I could mark it up. I used a couple of layers to protect my paint, but that poses a problem with the automatic center punch I used. It marked the tape, but not the metal because of the tape thickness. This made the drill wonder because the metal wasn't marked with the punch. one layer of tape is all you need. Just be sure to measure multiple times.

I do like the mirrors. All of my other vehicles have right side mirrors and I've come to rely on them as a secondary check on lane changes. My aftermarket mirrors always drooped, but these Morris mirrors stay in place. They are not factory correct, but close to it.

Have fun with your new purchase! Nice looking car. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.